F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

Best Tracks for Stiff Suspenions

Currently, I'm trying to learn the game with medium TC and finding that, until I learn to be gentler on a pad or get a wheel, I need a fairly stiff suspension. Earlier today, I tried running Zandvoort with a 1-3 suspension to no avail before stiffening it to 5-7, I believe. While the latter kept the car straight, it worked too well. I may have even ran 3-5 after the 5-7. What are same tracks where a stiff suspension doesn't hurt very much? For context, I believe my current setup for Hungary has a 4-9 suspension.

That's a complicated approach to setup as none of those things work in isolation. It's an interconnected system. Without knowing what issues you're trying to avoid it is hard to give any pointers and without knowing what is your overall setup it is hard even to predict what will happen if you do this or that with the suspension, as any effect may be completely neutralized or countered by another setting.

Wing angles, camber, suspension, sway bars and ride height are strongly interwoven.

Being shallow and generic about it, your springs are working to keep the chassis off the ground while maximizing tyre contact with the tarmac all the while trying not to disrupt air flow. You'll want to keep the tyres firmly on the asphalt and to be compliant over uneven surfaces (softer springs). You'll also want to keep the car stable and level under transient handling, when it pitches and rolls, to not mess with the downforce by bottoming out for example (stiffer springs).

So you'll probably be "able" to run stiffer springs on high speed, flat and smooth tracks like Monza and Sochi barring its Sector 3.

Basically, I’m being too abrupt with my stick inputs at times, which I need to fix before turning off TC. Until I get that fixed, I’m compensating with stiffer suspensions. I don’t touch the ride height at all, which I equate to the springs—perhaps incorrectly. I only adjusted what’s labeled as “suspension” and the anti-roll/sway bars.

Edited by TurkeySloth2107

None, suspension should be as soft as possible and the car should be as low as possible, with the perfect ballance being found in the middle of both as they are both polar opposites.

It's up to you to find the sweet spot.

This will also vary as each track is different.

Edited by TopAirspace