F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

Tyre Strategy

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get some advice on how to come up with a good tyre/race strategy for when you're taking a penalty and starting from the back of the grid. 
Right now in MyTeam, I'm at Spa, Belgium and I had to replace my engine, taking a 50 place grid penalty, so I will for sure start from p22. 
Now in terms of coming up with a race strategy for that, how do you guys approach it?

Like.. I'm in doubt whether I should even participate in qualifying. Because if I do I know I will boost my acclaim, possibly beat my rival, etc etc. But will use tyres. 
If I just retire instantly from Q1, I will have all tyre options available to me and won't have to use a used set in the race. 

And in terms of the race, do I just go for an agressive 2 stop starting on the softs and try to overtake as much as I can? 
Or do I go for a really long stint from the beginning and try to make the most out of that? Basically doing the reverse strategy compared to most. 
If so, that leads me to think, how do I approach this? If I retire instantly from Q1 I can choose any tyre I want. But if I do participate in quali, the tyres I use in Q2 will determine which ones I start on.. And if I go for a long stint, do I want to start on Mediums or even Hard? How do I figure this out?

I do 100% race distance, so I was thinking of starting on Hards, making them last as long as I can to push myself up the field as much as I can and then a late stop to softs to hopefully overtake a few cars back after my pitstop. But I don't know if that's the right way to approach it.. I don't want to be chosing Hards when I could easily pull off this strategy by going Medium - Soft.

I'd appreciate all words of advice on this 🙂

• Like 1

Hey, mate! I don't know if the game simulates this aspect of the rulebook too but in F1 you still need to go through Q1. Any driver who fails to complete a lap within 107% of the time of provisional pole is excluded from the race barring the stewards making an exception. And you're only locked to your Q2 tyre set if you make it to Q3 - if you're eliminated in Q2 you get to choose whatever tyre you want to start the race with.

So I see no reason to skip quali altogether. 

Regarding strategy, any stop will always detract something around 20s of your time. It is not the 2-3s you spend on the box, it is the going through the pit lane at pit lane speed that messes with your race. I wouldn't consider anything other than a one stopper unless I were doing 50/100% race and was confident I could pull enough of a advantage over the next batch of cars to compensate for a second stop.

Regarding tyre compound in depends on how good you are at managing tyres. I think it comes down to starting on Hards and go all in all the time just to change for Softs on the last stint, or starting on Mediums and manage your pace to either go hard to gobble positions or ease off a bit to manage the rubber just to stop for a set of Softs.

Edit: another thing to consider is fuel load. Specially on a power hungry track like Spa, you should weigh in starting with 1+ extra laps worth of fuel in order to switch to Rich fuel mix on the straights for extra vroom vrooomness. 

Edited by marioho
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

44 minutes ago, Malarky94 said:

Hi everyone,

I'm looking to get some advice on how to come up with a good tyre/race strategy for when you're taking a penalty and starting from the back of the grid. 
Right now in MyTeam, I'm at Spa, Belgium and I had to replace my engine, taking a 50 place grid penalty, so I will for sure start from p22. 
Now in terms of coming up with a race strategy for that, how do you guys approach it?

Like.. I'm in doubt whether I should even participate in qualifying. Because if I do I know I will boost my acclaim, possibly beat my rival, etc etc. But will use tyres. 
If I just retire instantly from Q1, I will have all tyre options available to me and won't have to use a used set in the race. 

And in terms of the race, do I just go for an agressive 2 stop starting on the softs and try to overtake as much as I can? 
Or do I go for a really long stint from the beginning and try to make the most out of that? Basically doing the reverse strategy compared to most. 
If so, that leads me to think, how do I approach this? If I retire instantly from Q1 I can choose any tyre I want. But if I do participate in quali, the tyres I use in Q2 will determine which ones I start on.. And if I go for a long stint, do I want to start on Mediums or even Hard? How do I figure this out?

I do 100% race distance, so I was thinking of starting on Hards, making them last as long as I can to push myself up the field as much as I can and then a late stop to softs to hopefully overtake a few cars back after my pitstop. But I don't know if that's the right way to approach it.. I don't want to be chosing Hards when I could easily pull off this strategy by going Medium - Soft.

I'd appreciate all words of advice on this 🙂

As marioho says, it depends upon how good you are at managing your tyres with whatever setup you are using. Personally I would be looking for a very forgiving setup to go for a 1 stop strategy (like marioho, I would also prefer to avoid the hards if that is possible). Do some runs in practice and see what your average tyre wear is coming out at race pace on the mediums, and take it from there.

One thing to note is that you have potentially chosen the correct track to start from the back on. Not only are there some very good overtaking opportunities in Belgium (Kemmell straight, and to a lesser extent the long straight before the chicane), but you can kill the AI on the start at Spa, going around the outside or the inside of the first corner, if you don't mind taking a risk or two!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hope for a nice safety car too. However starting on the hards will negate that as you’ll only go softer and then Less laps. 

Oh come on, don't leave us hanging! How did it go?

Did Grosjean treat you well?

Like @tarrantino mentioned, your Safety Car setting has a huge impact on what kind of strategy to pick. I haven't raced a 100% Spa in this game, so I'm not sure about the degradation. On 50% it's an easy soft-medium one-stop, even if you start with the tires you used in quali (softs). If you're starting from the back of the grid and the SC is on, I wouldn't start on the hardest tyre. I'd probably go for the medium to start with, so that I'd have good range to cover any SC variables. If the SC comes out early, go in and take the hards and use them until the end. If it comes towards the end of the medium stint, you might be able to go in for new softs, and 2-3 laps behind the SC might just give you enough range to race them until the end. The mediums at the start will also mean that you'll be able to put pressure and make passes right from the get-go.

If you have problems with straight line-speed, you could go for a very cheeky tactic of starting on the softs, pit earlier than the medium runners and undercut them with hards after taking advantage of clean air. If no SC appears, you could race them until the end, or if it does, pit for mediums/softs.

• Like 1

On 9/29/2020 at 6:47 AM, marioho said:

Oh come on, don't leave us hanging! How did it go?

Did Grosjean treat you well?

Totally missed this haha. So yea, took the 50 place grid penalty at Spa. Went on a Medium - Soft strategy and ended the race in p16. Grosjean left me alone during this race, in fact: he's retiring at the end of my 1st season in MyTeam. 
Car is in terms of performance only above Williams, still below Haas. So p16 was a good result for me 

• Like 2

In Spa i usually use Medium tyres at the start for my 1st long stint and in the pit stop i put less 1 degree in the front wing and with soft tyres until the end of the race.. it's the best race strategy for my driving style and i can manage really well tyre wear and tyre temps.. 50 p cent race lenght

• Like 2