Jump to content Jump to content

Utterly Broken Career Mode

I have just finished a very long first season in the McLaren:  cockpit view, no assists, 99 difficulty, full quali and 50% races.

I finished 9th in the Championship, beating my team mate and have constantly had feedback along the lines of: 'you are beating everyone's expectations...' and so on.

My acclaim has reached 7 and seems to have stopped.

I have spent so many resource points developing the car for season - and adapting the regulation change parts and now have been told by the agent that I have been fired and demoted to Williams. 

What the hell Codemasters?

Why have I bothered? Why have I had no indication that the team isn't happy? Why I have I been dropped from the fourth fastest team to the least fastest?

I come home exhausted from my job everyday to enjoy this game and this nonsense happens?

I hate this 'you can be fired' rubbish. It's MY game. I paid £65 for the Schumacher edition. I will decide what team I drive for and I will decide when I move teams.

1 hour ago, USPBauer24 said:

I have just finished a very long first season in the McLaren:  cockpit view, no assists, 99 difficulty, full quali and 50% races.

I finished 9th in the Championship, beating my team mate and have constantly had feedback along the lines of: 'you are beating everyone's expectations...' and so on.

My acclaim has reached 7 and seems to have stopped.

I have spent so many resource points developing the car for season - and adapting the regulation change parts and now have been told by the agent that I have been fired and demoted to Williams. 

What the hell Codemasters?

Why have I bothered? Why have I had no indication that the team isn't happy? Why I have I been dropped from the fourth fastest team to the least fastest?

I come home exhausted from my job everyday to enjoy this game and this nonsense happens?

I hate this 'you can be fired' rubbish. It's MY game. I paid £65 for the Schumacher edition. I will decide what team I drive for and I will decide when I move teams.

I can understand your frustration, but getting sack by a team as a driver is just a common occurrence in F1 (just look at our poor Perez...). You could complain why there isn't an option to turn that feature off, or that the system is flawed because it doesn't have enough clear indication for the players to know, which I absolutely agree on both.

Though at the end of the day, the game is CM's creation. They and their investors/licence holders are the only ones that have the final say on things, we're just buying the final product as a customer. We can suggest and make complaints, but are not entitled to make them do whatever we ask for.

Edited by DRTApophis
  • Agree 1
4 hours ago, DRTApophis said:

I can understand your frustration, but getting sack by a team as a driver is just a common occurrence in F1 (just look at our poor Perez...). You could complain why there isn't an option to turn that feature off, or that the system is flawed because it doesn't have enough clear indication for the players to know, which I absolutely agree on both.

Though at the end of the day, the game is CM's creation. They and their investors/licence holders are the only ones that have the final say on things, we're just buying the final product as a customer. We can suggest and make complaints, but are not entitled to make them do whatever we ask for.

I really hate these arguments.

I hope you at least play in cockpit view, otherwise thats mighty hypocritical to compare his complaint to real life F1 standards, since in real life cockpit view is the only view drivers have.

@DRTApophis in this case I tend to agree with OP, if the game didn't give any clue or cue about his performance not meeting the team's expectations. I think it's a bit of wishful thinking on our part to see in there an element of realism. These things surely happen, but as you said, this should have been signaled somehow.

Perhaps this should be posted on the Technical Assistance forum. Even if it's not a bug per se, looks like the system isn't functioning as intended as there seems to be no evident criteria for the game to decide on booting him out of the seat.

12 hours ago, marioho said:

@DRTApophis in this case I tend to agree with OP, if the game didn't give any clue or cue about his performance not meeting the team's expectations. I think it's a bit of wishful thinking on our part to see in there an element of realism. These things surely happen, but as you said, this should have been signaled somehow.

Perhaps this should be posted on the Technical Assistance forum. Even if it's not a bug per se, looks like the system isn't functioning as intended as there seems to be no evident criteria for the game to decide on booting him out of the seat.

You're correct, like I said I also agreed that the system is flawed because it doesn't give you enough hints. At least in real life there're lots of ways that you could use to at least find some clues. The game is just not very polished in these kinda areas

12 hours ago, DarkRedslayer said:

I really hate these arguments.

I hope you at least play in cockpit view, otherwise thats mighty hypocritical to compare his complaint to real life F1 standards, since in real life cockpit view is the only view drivers have.

First, using cockpit view as an argument that if someone is not playing in the most authentic way possible then something else that's also supposed to be realistic shouldn't exist is an invalid point, because OP's problem here is a system lacks the option for players to choose how they wanna play. While cockpit mode is also based on real life, yet they already gave you the option to choose whether you want it or not, it never had the same issue's as OP's.

Second, if it's hypocritical only by pointing out something in the game is replicating real life while the game itself is not completely true to life, then the game shouldn't even exist in the first place.

• We players are never F1 driver in real life so it's mighty hypocritical if I didn't point out that why we're on the grid.
  • The 2020 F1 season never actually took place on many scheduled race tracks, so it's mighty hypocritical for me to not complain about the game is still using the original calendar.
  • The cockpit view is limited by player's computer screen and it's only an imitation of a camera view that's based on the driver's eyes in real life, it's mighty hypocritical I didn't say why can't I actually get inside the car and see everything with my own eyes.
  • The list could goes on and on.

Should CM never have been bother adding contents that are based on real life just because it's hypocritical if they can't or can't make you replicating everything? Did you see how ridiculous these sound?

• Agree 1
  • Administrator

To play devil's advocate here a little. I empathise for your situation @USPBauer24, however, there are a LOT of variables here that have not been added:

•  Your performances in the last few races
  •  Your performances relative to the teams and team-mate expectations. 
  •  The teams expectations can change relative to car performance. Did you advance up the grid in terms of car performance? 
  •  Did you beat your rivals?

More details will give me more chance to measure on what exactly happened. There would have 100% been a reason for this, and not be a unprovoked change.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

To play devil's advocate here a little. I empathise for your situation @USPBauer24, however, there are a LOT of variables here that have not been added:

•  Your performances in the last few races
  •  Your performances relative to the teams and team-mate expectations. 
  •  The teams expectations can change relative to car performance. Did you advance up the grid in terms of car performance? 
  •  Did you beat your rivals?

More details will give me more chance to measure on what exactly happened. There would have 100% been a reason for this, and not be a unprovoked change.

Thanks for taking the time to read and respond. 

I remember in the 2019 version the team would give you objectives and you would have a team value bar which went up and down to give you hints towards the team's view of you - this seems to have been removed for 2020. I don't know what the team expects - but of course, I always go for the highest result possible. 

My highest result for 4th and lowest was DNF in Singapore. I have regularly scored points and have been in the top ten of the championship leader board for the whole season. 

Renault had a power boost on the R&D charts later in the season and often took P5/6/7 which I am aiming for.  My results have consistently been in the low to mid points. 

I think finishing 9th in the championship with 94 points is highly respectable for a McClaren - much higher than my team mate. 

I think if the team weren't happy and wanted to fire me then fine - but it was the way it was done - a cut scene of the agent literally shouting at me about how I'm a threat to her career and how I should be thanking her for getting me a place at Williams. The cut scene was horrible and extremely aggressive. 

If I am to be fired, at least let me negotiate with other teams who may be interested - again, something that seems to have been removed from this year's game. I remember you used to have value vars for all the other teams.

I'm just really disappointed with how it was handled and presented. 

I strongly urge Codemasters to remove the ability to be fired from the game. 

@USPBauer24 perhaps to give a better picture and to allow Codemasters to assess what triggered your firing you could attach a screenshot of the season results (that screen with the position of every driver through every event) and the R&D Progress History (the charts with lines indicating each team's progress on the R&D side of things).

Reading your reports does make it seem like the boot was uncalled for but it doesn't show how your expected performance could have changed. Whether it is a bug or a balancing issue of different criterias not carrying appropriate weight on your performance evaluation by the game, that whole data is relevant.

I think what happens us that there is a team acclaim bar like there was in previous versions, but we can't see it in this game. The key to keeping that bar high is:

- good consistent results

- winning rivalries

- always avoid DNFs (this gives a huge negative hit to the bar)

- answer the questions strategically, remembering that showmanship and sportsmanship preferences appear to remain in play, and sometimes no answer is better than answering.

Personally I have no interest in seeing the bar, but I do think it would help massively if we had some big hints that the team weren't happy. I have sympathy with the OP.

Interesting & frustrating.

I dont want to see the ability to be fired removed from the game; it adds some realism.   However, if that is there we should at least have a screen somewhere that shows contract objectives again & the satisfaction of the team with you as a driver.  At least show the player if what they are doing is making the team happy or not.  Give me a results vs expectations screen or something like we used to have so the player knows where they stand with the team.   So you can tell if you're going to be in trouble of being fired or not .

On 10/2/2020 at 10:28 AM, DRTApophis said:

You're correct, like I said I also agreed that the system is flawed because it doesn't give you enough hints. At least in real life there're lots of ways that you could use to at least find some clues. The game is just not very polished in these kinda areas

First, using cockpit view as an argument that if someone is not playing in the most authentic way possible then something else that's also supposed to be realistic shouldn't exist is an invalid point, because OP's problem here is a system lacks the option for players to choose how they wanna play. While cockpit mode is also based on real life, yet they already gave you the option to choose whether you want it or not, it never had the same issue's as OP's.

Second, if it's hypocritical only by pointing out something in the game is replicating real life while the game itself is not completely true to life, then the game shouldn't even exist in the first place.

• We players are never F1 driver in real life so it's mighty hypocritical if I didn't point out that why we're on the grid.
  • The 2020 F1 season never actually took place on many scheduled race tracks, so it's mighty hypocritical for me to not complain about the game is still using the original calendar.
  • The cockpit view is limited by player's computer screen and it's only an imitation of a camera view that's based on the driver's eyes in real life, it's mighty hypocritical I didn't say why can't I actually get inside the car and see everything with my own eyes.
  • The list could goes on and on.

Should CM never have been bother adding contents that are based on real life just because it's hypocritical if they can't or can't make you replicating everything? Did you see how ridiculous these sound?

Your argument was that this is a common occurrence in real life. I didn't bother reading past that, because its irrelevant because this is a video game.

• Disagree 1