Jump to content Jump to content

Pre race stretching

For the past two weeks I have begun a very regimented program of pre race stretching.  I have seen times come down drastically.  Whilst I don't want to give away all the secrets, I will share a couple pieces of the routine with you.  I begin with eye blinks.  10 each eye, repeating 3 times.  I will then put on some house music, Avicii, and really begin to time my eye blinks with the beat of the music.  I then mentally rehearse each of the 22 tracks using key points on the track to practice blink.  I think you get the importance of this exercise.  Next I have to limber up the limbs.   Thumb rolls, both in and out, have been most beneficial.  again, 10 each thumb and each direction, repeating 3 times.  The response times have gone down an insane amount in braking.  Again I mentally rehearse all 22 tracks, with Avicii in the background, practice thumbing at key points on each track and, most importantly,  in coordination with eye blinks. I do include a bit of cardio, just to get the heart racing, followed by relaxation techniques to bring the heart rate back to my normal 11 beats per minute.  Whilst not the complete routine, this will help get you started.  Please allocate approximately 3.5 hours prior to your first race of the day.  Ladies and Gentlemen, that is all I am willing to share at this time, Good Luck

• 2 weeks later...

That is fascinating stuff, Hellion21.  I find that I reach my fastest times if I drive to the parking lot at a nearby shopping mall that is closed, strap my iPad to my steering wheel, and log a few laps at my favorite tracks.  I like to run laps at Barcelona, just like the real F1 drivers.  The parking lot is perfect because the lap finishes at one of the outparcels with a KFC that has a drive-through lane that, if you drive it in the opposite direction, perfectly matches the chicane at Barcelona.  It is fantastic practice.  A few weeks ago, the KFC reopened and boy was I surprised the first time through that chicane.  I switched it around, though, to the chicane at Spa and now drive it in the correct direction.  I get some weird looks from the restaurant employees, but most seem to have become fans.  Yesterday, two stood outside as I drifted past the ordering board and waved their arms at me while yelling.  They must have been cheering.  If there's a car waiting for food, I pretend that it's a slow Ferrari AI car.  Last week, I clipped the inside curb at the fast left turn at Baku that leads to the lefthander onto the main straight (it's the curb at the old Sears customer pick-up lane) and slid into the outside wall (it's the dumpster behind the movie theater), but kept it together and still logged a personal-best time.  The right side of my car is banged up, but I think I can buff out most of it.  And nobody really uses the passenger-side rear door anyway.  Oh well, that's enough of my secrets.  I have an appointment at the shop for new tires again.  Let's go racing, Boys!

Now this is impressive!   Thinking outside the box.  Kudos in using the KFC chicane as both Barcelona and Spa. For realism, have you thought of perhaps painting the drive thru curbs yellow and red.  I can only imagine the increased authenticity resulting in quicker and quicker times.  I think I saw an interview with Gasly in which he spoke of the enormous difference having real fans at a race can make.  You are indeed lucky to have your own KFC Tifosi section at the mall, lighting red and white smoke flares laced with that Unique KFC smell.  Keep up the great training program, incorporate some of my stretching techniques and may the best driver win.  

Thanks, Hellion21!  I will work on the stretching techniques.  I already do cross-crawls like Ross Bentley.  Yes - that was Gasly talking about the fans returning to Sochi.  I do agree.  I feel so lucky.  Just yesterday, one of the KFC Tifosi leaned out of the drive-through window with both arms and gave me two raised fingers.  I think they mean that I'm No. 1 in their hearts.  They even pumped their arms up and down in alternating fashion as if to say, "You're No. 1!  You're No. 1!"  I'm just so thankful for all of the virtual people back at the virtual garage and virtual headquarters who, along with our virtual sponsors (and the real sponsor that offers free solar power to everyone), make this all possible.  We are truly fortunate.

Archived