Difference in setups wheel v pad

I'm still not good enough to create my own setups and be competitive (yet!) so I use ones I find on line.

A question, though....... The majority of on-line setups seem to be for pads but would these work just as well for a wheel, or does the technical differences between the two types of controller's inputs make the setups not really transferable?

At first I used to check what input device the setup was for. Found it useless. 

You're better off paying attention to how aggressive suspension geometry and suspension settings are, as there lies perhaps the greatest difference between pad and wheels: your ability to apply corrections and to be granular on inputs.

I wouldn't worry about input device. Checking if it is a Time Trial setup or a race one is more important in my opinion.

I think you're overthinking it Marioho. Having done multiple test basically the game is bonkers with the setups. It's no different to previous versions. Extreme setups wheel or pad. 

Hey Dunky, what do you mean? I've found the game to be representative of what I'm aiming for with their sliders, both on handling and on tyre wear. It's still a martyrdom to set up the tyres correctly with the lack of telemetry info the game displays by default, but most of it is manageable with the help of a telemetry app.

If you're talking about the differences in performance between TT and race setups, I do feel there's too great of a difference there because of the way the tyres overheat with those left/right setups with aggressive suspension. Tracks like Barcelona, with full throttle high speed corners, are hardly taken perfectly for more than 2 laps because of temperatures and resulting loss of grip.

On 10/2/2020 at 10:07 PM, Lurtz said:

I'm still not good enough to create my own setups and be competitive (yet!) so I use ones I find on line.

A question, though....... The majority of on-line setups seem to be for pads but would these work just as well for a wheel, or does the technical differences between the two types of controller's inputs make the setups not really transferable?

Main difference is that pad users are suffer from front tyres overheating whereas wheel users are suffer from rear tyres overheating. :classic_biggrin:

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sergey_blackbird said:

Main difference is that pad users are suffer from front tyres overheating whereas wheel users are suffer from rear tyres overheating. :classic_biggrin:

Whahahaha. I am a pad user as well. However, I believe that front tyre management is a lot easier than rear tyre management. You barely get wheelspin when playing on the pad, whilst on the wheel, you can get lots of wheelspin if you are too fast on the pedal. 

On 10/3/2020 at 12:07 AM, Lurtz said:

As a pad user, I think the difference could be in the suspension settings. However, I think camera plays a role as well. Any setup that I use from youtubers running on t cam feels extremely stiff and heavy when I use them on cockpit cam. I am forced to run soft suspensions and roll bars. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

Whahahaha. I am a pad user as well. However, I believe that front tyre management is a lot easier than rear tyre management. You barely get wheelspin when playing on the pad, whilst on the wheel, you can get lots of wheelspin if you are too fast on the pedal. 

Interestingly, I get more deg on fronts than on rears pretty much on every track, at China my front left is is such an example of it. On tracks like Suzuka, I have all 4 tyres evenly wearing out.  

Maybe your steering inputs are more smooth, somehow?

tw_china.jpg

Edited by sergey_blackbird

11 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

As a pad user, I think the difference could be in the suspension settings. However, I think camera plays a role as well. Any setup that I use from youtubers running on t cam feels extremely stiff and heavy when I use them on cockpit cam. I am forced to run soft suspensions and roll bars. 

I'm a wheel user and drive in cockpit and agree with your latter statement. For me it's not as much a question of handling though - the camera bounces and vibrates more in cockpit and I think that draws me to softer suspension settings than I would use otherwise.

7 hours ago, sergey_blackbird said:

Interestingly, I get more deg on fronts than on rears pretty much on every track, at China my front left is is such an example of it. On tracks like Suzuka, I have all 4 tyres evenly wearing out.  

On some tracks, China being a great example, I'm sure everyone has a problem with their (left) front. Spain is similar.

There are differences on some tracks, though. What happens with your tyres in Baku or Canada? For me those tracks are examples of being rear-limited.

I think a lot to do with skill and what assists you have, rather than just equipment. I generally find as a pad user (automatic gears, medium TC, 100% AI) that I need:

- 50% on throttle diff on every track, which covers for my relatively poor throttle control, and

- more rear wing downforce than the youtubers who use wheels, especially on tracks with tricky high speed corners like Spain, Bahrain and Abu Dhabi

16 hours ago, janbonator said:

What happens with your tyres in Baku or Canada?

I have not had a race on F1 2020 at those tracks yet, but from previous years I can say that I do get more deg on rear tyres (at Canada 2019 I had 52%-45% on fronts, 65%-62% on rears, soft tyres, 50% race distance, prior pit stop on lap 10), but not as much as wheel users who get up to 30% of a difference in tyre wear between fronts and rears (at Baku tyre wear was like this 34%-41% fronts, 59%-68% rears, soft tyres, 50% race distance, prior pit stop on lap 6).   

All those tyre wear numbers are based on NO assists usage.)

Edited by sergey_blackbird
  • Like 1

On 10/6/2020 at 2:04 PM, sergey_blackbird said:

tw_china.jpg

I will try to do a test in China one of these days. Were your tyres used or new? I do not remember my practice for My Team in Gp mode, but I do know that I made Medium tyres last at least 14 laps while driving as Bottas and on 105 difficulty. Turn 1 in China can literally eat the front left tyre. 

7 hours ago, sergey_blackbird said:

I have not had a race on F1 2020 at those tracks yet, but from previous years I can say that I do get more deg on rear tyres (at Canada 2019 I had 52%-45% on fronts, 65%-62% on rears, soft tyres, 50% race distance, prior pit stop on lap 10), but not as much as wheel users who get up to 30% of a difference in tyre wear between fronts and rears (at Baku tyre wear was like this 34%-41% fronts, 59%-68% rears, soft tyres, 50% race distance, prior pit stop on lap 6).   

All those tyre wear numbers are based on NO assists usage.)

Pretty similar to me, especially that I am a little bit aggressive with the rear tyres in Canada. But Canada has been a track I cannot extract good laptime. In Baku, it’s the rears that are having more wear than the front, but at Baku I have no problems. Well, it is always due to the player. Some tracks you excel, and some tracks, in spite of the same characteristics to one that you do well, you can struggle. Brazil is quite similar to Canada and Azerbaijan, and I do not like driving at Brazil, but I still do well there in comparison to the 105% ai. 

Softening the rear anti roll bar can help in rear tyre wear, but it will be mainly down to how heavy your fingers are or how heavy your right foot is LOL. I’d also keep the rear toe at minimum to the left.

17 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

Were your tyres used or new?

Used. One fast lap in short quali and formation lap, so at race start they had like 12ish % of wear already.

17 hours ago, Krisperfectline said:

Softening the rear anti roll bar can help in rear tyre wear, but it will be mainly down to how heavy your fingers are or how heavy your right foot is LOL. I’d also keep the rear toe at minimum to the left.

At China I recall using 2-6 on suspension stiffness, 1-10 ARB, 1-4 ride hide, standard suspension geometry left left right right and 2/3-8 wings, as for tyre pressures I used something like 21.1 on fronts and 21.5 on rears.