Jump to content Jump to content

Codies Suggestion for next year-Test

DAL1189

Codemasters really need to get a small team of members in the community, maybe some guys from AOR or the big YouTubers (although they wouldn't be allowed to make videos on it) and give it to them to test. I presume that code masters did test F1 2015 and although the single player only has a few bugs and glitches the multiplayer is hilariously unplayable you wouldn't guess they have. The main problem I think they have had testing the features and specifically multiplayer is that you can do a whole manner of testing for a game. but it will never be the same as testing in the wild. Which is why they need to get a team of guys from the community and let them test it. 
DAL1189 said:
Codemasters really need to get a small team of members in the community, maybe some guys from AOR or the big YouTubers (although they wouldn't be allowed to make videos on it) and give it to them to test. I presume that code masters did test F1 2015 and although the single player only has a few bugs and glitches the multiplayer is hilariously unplayable you wouldn't guess they have. The main problem I think they have had testing the features and specifically multiplayer is that you can do a whole manner of testing for a game. but it will never be the same as testing in the wild. Which is why they need to get a team of guys from the community and let them test it.

--

Reports on this game seem quite weird. A lot of people seem to like it a lot, others don't like it a lot !

Most of the dislike/problems seem to come from the PC side. Maybe, given the fact that it is harder to patch on consoles they decided to focus on the console builds rather than the PC builds, knowing that they could patch relatively quickly on PC. Of course they could have delayed release on PC, but no doubt the PC crowd wouldn't have been happy about this.

I think early access would be a good idea, especially on the PC, but CM are just getting used to trying this sort of stuff out (see Dirt rally). There are also external constraints that might stop them doing early access on the F1 game. 

Sometimes I wonder why Cm bother with the PC versions. They must be responsible for 80% of the hassle and 20% of the sales.
In the past F1 games I've spoken on Twitter to TheLeeMather, Steve hood (who has now left) and spoke to others at codies and to be honest they just ignore you totally.  They make their game, release it and then rinse and repeat. Absolutely no customer service or engagement with fans whatsoever.

• 2 weeks later...
I'd happily have spent my lunch break at the Birmingham office testing for them. Surely would have discovered a good number of bugs in that time on any format just in single player. 

The missing tyre/engine temp HUD on consoles and the pro season having assists switched on is staggering for starters 
dirt3joe said:
DAL1189 said:

Sometimes I wonder why Cm bother with the PC versions. They must be responsible for 80% of the hassle and 20% of the sales.
Hey buddy, be nice now, this mess or the restrictions on patch releases for consol is not the fault of the PC enthusiast. PC? Consol? What's the difference really? We are both in the same boat when it comes to getting what you paid for. 

Testing makes little difference if nothing is done to correct issues found during testing.

Many issues that ship with games are already known before launch.

Game companies release games with known issues to start generating revenue. It's historically been a safe bet that the vast majority of sales will not be returned/refunded despite defects, even if they're never patched.

Why wait for a game to be finished & fully-functional to get money flowing in if people will buy it in its unfinished & partially-functional condition?

Game companies with big exclusive license series (like F1, FIFA, Madden, etc.) are especially prone to this because they know their audience has few (if any) other options if they want to play games of that type.

This industry-wide pattern will only continue to get worse as long as people continue pre-ordering & buying games at launch without any evidence up-front that the games meet a better standard of quality.

It's not the game companies' fault anymore if consumer buying patterns encourage them to cash in on easy sales of dysfunctional games. We've made it too easy for them to bank on our uninformed anticipation.

If more people could muster the willpower to wait just 1 week after a new game release, then find their way onto the internet for 20 minutes to glance at post-launch reviews, videos, forum posts, & issue reports from trustworthy sources - and actually refrain from buying if the results don't look good, then we might actually have a hope to start getting better quality games at launch.

Try it - next time you're looking forward to a new game release, take the 7-day challenge. :)

Operator1 said:

Testing makes little difference if nothing is done to correct issues found during testing.

Many issues that ship with games are already known before launch.

Game companies release games with known issues to start generating revenue. It's historically been a safe bet that the vast majority of sales will not be returned/refunded despite defects, even if they're never patched.

Why wait for a game to be finished & fully-functional to get money flowing in if people will buy it in its unfinished & partially-functional condition?

Game companies with big exclusive license series (like F1, FIFA, Madden, etc.) are especially prone to this because they know their audience has few (if any) other options if they want to play games of that type.

This industry-wide pattern will only continue to get worse as long as people continue pre-ordering & buying games at launch without any evidence up-front that the games meet a better standard of quality.

It's not the game companies' fault anymore if consumer buying patterns encourage them to cash in on easy sales of dysfunctional games. We've made it too easy for them to bank on our uninformed anticipation.

If more people could muster the willpower to wait just 1 week after a new game release, then find their way onto the internet for 20 minutes to glance at post-launch reviews, videos, forum posts, & issue reports from trustworthy sources - and actually refrain from buying if the results don't look good, then we might actually have a hope to start getting better quality games at launch.

Try it - next time you're looking forward to a new game release, take the 7-day challenge. :)

I never thought about it in that way. I suppose codies can't do this because they have commited themselves long term to F1 2015, updating it with the latest livery's, and aero so they have to patch it. But for games like FIFA like madden like you mentioned, it's something worth trying. Next time I pre order a game I will take the seven day challenge :blush: 

Archived