Jump to content
DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Shakedown survey (+ how do I improve?)

Recommended Posts

Just now, EggBerry said:

I learned a lot from watching some of your basic videos on YouTube. I haven't gotten on Twitch too much yet, but I'll give it a look. 

This style of racing really has a way of keeping you humble.

Oh yeah, you can't do this in a real rally as you only have one shot.

In a game though, the Restart button is a learning tool.

We're all the best at Sector 1 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, PJTierney said:

Oh yeah, you can't do this in a real rally as you only have one shot.

In a game though, the Restart button is a learning tool.

We're all the best at Sector 1 😉 

Indeed! Watching videos of folks get their cars totaled in a forest in Finland reminds me of this. Also, all the technical issues that go on IRL that are sort of hand-waved away in the game. :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's true, PJ's tips videos are bona fide good stuff

But I've got a tip you probably won't find elsewhere, if @EggBerry you happen to play on a console?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

It's true, PJ's tips videos are bona fide good stuff

But I've got a tip you probably won't find elsewhere, if @EggBerry you happen to play on a console?

I play on both console and PC at the moment. Trying to figure out which will suite me most on a sim racing rig. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, EggBerry said:

I play on both console and PC at the moment. Trying to figure out which will suite me most on a sim racing rig. 😉

Ah, well the suggestion is really only if you're a console player. It's the trick I used which gave me the single biggest improvement in times: using my TV zoom to simulate a Field-of-View adjustment. Sadly FoV is not available in software in the console versions. And DR2.0 has its default FoV quite wide, so objects distort at the sides of the picture, but worst of all, the road appears too damn small. But hey, it makes the game feel all awesome like Wipeout or something.

If your TV allows it, you can use its zoom function to expand the image and basically re-create lowering the FoV. It's limited by the extent to which on-screen menu items become no longer visible. For me it's mainly the speedometer in the lower RH corner, but shifting the image as well as zooming allowed me to effectively lower the overall FoV to a really nice level that's a perfect overall balance. The other huge benefit is the game feels much more immersive to me, like I'm really in the car.

It's something I've banged on a lot about on these forums, and a hat-tip to @A-M-A-R-85 for the work-around suggestion in the first place.

As you're also playing on PC you've no doubt tried out the FoV adjustment slider on that platform!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jake Cushing said:

Ah, well the suggestion is really only if you're a console player. It's the trick I used which gave me the single biggest improvement in times: using my TV zoom to simulate a Field-of-View adjustment. Sadly FoV is not available in software in the console versions. And DR2.0 has its default FoV quite wide, so objects distort at the sides of the picture, but worst of all, the road appears too damn small. But hey, it makes the game feel all awesome like Wipeout or something.

If your TV allows it, you can use its zoom function to expand the image and basically re-create lowering the FoV. It's limited by the extent to which on-screen menu items become no longer visible. For me it's mainly the speedometer in the lower RH corner, but shifting the image as well as zooming allowed me to effectively lower the overall FoV to a really nice level that's a perfect overall balance. The other huge benefit is the game feels much more immersive to me, like I'm really in the car.

It's something I've banged on a lot about on these forums, and a hat-tip to @A-M-A-R-85 for the work-around suggestion in the first place.

As you're also playing on PC you've no doubt tried out the FoV adjustment slider on that platform!

That's a great suggestion. I'll have to check my TV to see if it has a zoom function. I was just noticing this morning. I run a couple of console stages right after I wake up, then go my studio and run some stages on PC, and I found myself getting frustrated with the limited FOV options. The dash view was too narrow, the arms and wheel view was too wide. What I'd really like is a way to move the FOV *down* as there are a few cars that give you a really good view of the front rollbar and roof. I have a longer torso, so I'm used to being farther up with less roof.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same here....I'm going to check out if I can use zoom/different aspect ratio on my gaming TV. I really like the experience of driving car on the dash/inside car view but the view of the track/road view can be limited so I've chose bonnet cam for better FOV. It would be great if I can get an enhanced driver cam FOV with a few adjustments to screen size.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Scrogs said:

Same here....I'm going to check out if I can use zoom/different aspect ratio on my gaming TV. I really like the experience of driving car on the dash/inside car view but the view of the track/road view can be limited so I've chose bonnet cam for better FOV. It would be great if I can get an enhanced driver cam FOV with a few adjustments to screen size.

Yeah. Bonnet cam is too much for me. I tried it once - good for replays, but overload for my driving haha.

 I like the realism of seeing the wheel (when I'm on controller. I'm still learning my new steering wheel. That may change) and the arms, as if I were looking through my eyes.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×