Sign in to follow this  

[Improvement] Pace Note recce system

So the way to solve pace note issues and catapult this to greatest rally game of all time: move notes further to the simulation side and make a pace note creation or modification system.

This is the least effort for what the game could really use type solution, it could be taken way further. Add co-drivers to team management with some kind of perk tie in. Add a recce option to stage menu or even streamline it onto the end of shakedowns with an option like the restart/replay/etc. Skip recce/shakedown and use the default codemaster notes or, after driving a shakedown, give a customizable timeline allowing you to move triggers for individual calls sooner or later visualized with your own shakedown replay. Save different sets of pacenotes by stage, like tuning profiles for cars.

The notes are a lot more detailed than the usual ones though, I don't know how much they're repeated and I imagine it wouldn't be as easy to alter them as in RBR.

In this simplest form, the idea wouldn't be to modify the notes specifically, just their timing on a note by note basis. Functionally all it needs to do is show a replay of your shakedown so you can watch and when you hear a note you don't like you pause, move its trigger "up or down the road", and repeat until the end. How hard that is to implement obviously depends on how the system works. Ideally dirt already uses something akin to a subtitle file which it then tweaks on the fly to add the great co-driver 'color', like pausing during collisions etc

In theory, with more work than the idea may be worth, I bet CM could make a very involved and complex recce mini-game to create your own notes. Like a shakedown but you could record features/corners as you drive. Speed limited car with max assists and nice light easy steering so you can approximate the method described around 1:50 here:

https://youtu.be/9q7EYVJL9XU?t=1m25s

maybe you press a 'corner' button entering, exiting and passing the apex. Another to mark a crest/dip/jump, which pressed while a corner is recording would incorporate it in the corner note. Then you review to tune when notes are read and add simple modifiers like cut/dont, length of dips/jump size etc. Simple video editing software interface, video timeline is the replay with some mild augmented reality style markers, audio timeline would be all the notes synced to track position rather than time.

I'm just trying to imagine how you could make something like this be anything but a horrible chore, which is hard. The dream is a slow shakedown to learn the track and interactively record features at the same time without needing to review it. This much control would also probably make your co-driver sound like microsoft sam.

Recording audio at checkpoints of the stage should work and wouldn't be too hard to implement. Then pacenotes could be distributed by steam workshop.

I find that if I have pace notes on normal I occasionally get surprised by a tight hair pin and it's far too late - if I have them set to earlier, I cannot remember where we are and it's all a bit soon.

I think a few corners need optimization, but otherwise "normal" is the setting for me.  I ought to try and give feedback on the times when the hair pins are flung at you far too quickly, but I cannot remember now off the top of my head.