F1 2020 |NEW PATCH AND DRIVER RATINGS | READ ME!!! Read more... ×
Vote for the best MyTeam story now! Read more... ×

One simple solution for many problems in league racing

Hey Codies!

You changed the ERS system and in general, it made racing better IMO.

Now, real life F1 has banned changing engine modes, so i expect those to be gone in F1 2021.

You could just add different SOC(system of charge) modes to get back some of the realism.
BUT i dont think that would be a good idea, since it would be much too easy to, once again, regenerate your ERS while you sit in slipstream/drs range.

What i think would be a much more elegant solution, would be to allow us to edit the throttle map(s).

That would have several effects:

1) You could adapt the throttle response to your driving style. In 2020 the upper half of the throttle is so important that i actually would want try to run the linearity setting inverted to get more resolution up there. Sadly not possible, but a custom throttle map could ofc do that.

2) You could adapt the throttle map to your downforce. For example on Zandvoort a lot of people would like to run high wings, but you cant really do that, because the throttle map wastes so much ERS that in extreme cases you cant regenerate at all even without using OT.

3) If you give people, lets say, 3 maps for the race they can edit, then you would have a legitimate claim to limit the allowed switches per lap(or slow down the switching process massively) without people crying about it. You could have even less switches than now and have more skill involved! For example Spain, one basic map for sector 1 and 2, a map with less ers usage for sector 3/slipstream train and a map for pushing. 2 Switches per lap and people have the deployment that they want!

4) It would allow people to save ers in slipstream/drs. YES I KNOW THATS BAD, BUT in this case, it would involve SKILL. If you wanted a well rounded slipstream-train-map, you would have to balance regenerating vs losing DRS vs being a sitting duck without overusing OT.

And just for clarity, i dont know if time based throttle maps are a thing in F1, but i am purely talking about them being based on throttle% and gears.

Cheers

• Agree 1

The engine mode ban has no impact on ERS. The system will continue to work as it has since 2014, where there is a maximum harvest and deployment amount of energy per lap, used whenever the driver sees fit (up to that limit).

On 10/13/2020 at 2:26 PM, apcud7 said:

The engine mode ban has no impact on ERS. The system will continue to work as it has since 2014, where there is a maximum harvest and deployment amount of energy per lap, used whenever the driver sees fit (up to that limit).

Obviously. But the engine mode ban will probably stop us from changing the fuel any longer, removing another part of strategy from the game, 

So OP's suggestion, as has been suggested in the beta as well ever since the introduction of this oversimplified ers system, 
Is that we can MAP the ers before the race (as part of the setup) so we don't have to change it during the race but we can still (more realisticallly) adapt ers deployment to the track/sector and the rest of the setup. 

This brings more strategy into the game, promotes practicing/trying things and finding ways to get the most out of the car, 
as well as fix the issue with the barely charging ers on high downforce circuits. (That we can do nothing about under the current 'it iz what it iz' system,
except for running suboptimal setups that work better with the ers) 

Well the fuel mixture did not give much strategy to the game, you are at plus something use rich mix if not standard.

They should implement full engine mapping capacbilities to let you in each race device how the ers is deployed in every meter of the race and how much it is deployed every lap, this in combination to a proper engine mapping system to managed how much fuel the engine will burn through the lap trying to get a balance between power, durability and fuel consumption.