DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Learning on the job

Memo to self.......never ever choose soft tyres on a wet tarmac stage.  😔

• Sad 1

20 hours ago, Scrogs said:

Memo to self.......never ever choose soft tyres on a wet tarmac stage.  😔

I freaked out when I saw there wasn't a wet tire option on the daily challenges the last two days. Thankfully, I didn't make the soft choice - although I thought about it.

5 hours ago, EggBerry said:

I freaked out when I saw there wasn't a wet tire option on the daily challenges the last two days. Thankfully, I didn't make the soft choice - although I thought about it.

Theres only wet tyres on tarmac stages. Or did they take away te option on tarmac in the dailys?

1 hour ago, somethingthing said:

Theres only wet tyres on tarmac stages. Or did they take away te option on tarmac in the dailys?

I did not know that. But one of the stages (Poland) had a good amount of tarmac. I did have wet tyre options on a trip through Spain recently.

1 hour ago, EggBerry said:

I did not know that. But one of the stages (Poland) had a good amount of tarmac. I did have wet tyre options on a trip through Spain recently.

Only in Spain and Germany are wet tyre options.

Gravel: soft, medium and hard
Asphalt: soft, medium, hard and wet
Monaco: soft and winter
Sweden: snow

• Like 1

13 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Only in Spain and Germany are wet tyre options.

Gravel: soft, medium and hard
Asphalt: soft, medium, hard and wet
Monaco: soft and winter
Sweden: snow

Again, something I didn't know. Thanks for the knowledge. I tried hard tyres on wet banging through a stage in Poland today, and they weren't any help. Lots to learn, lots to learn.

11 hours ago, EggBerry said:

Again, something I didn't know. Thanks for the knowledge. I tried hard tyres on wet banging through a stage in Poland today, and they weren't any help. Lots to learn, lots to learn.

There is no point using hard tyres until you want to do like a full 12 stage rally without service area really.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2020 at 9:47 PM, UnderclassGDfan said:

There is no point using hard tyres until you want to do like a full 12 stage rally without service area really.

Concur.  Here's the number of miles between services for each tire, discounting rain and snow tires.  Wet generally applies just for gravel as you normally want wet tires in wet tarmac

Dry conditions:

Soft: <= 20 miles
Medium: <= 23 miles
Hard: <= 35 miles

Wet conditions:

Soft: <= 22 miles
Medium: <= 25 miles
Hard: <= 37 miles

Tires become "worn" at halfway through that range, and they continue to have better grip than the next hardest tire until they reach the end of that range when they become "used" and drop off sharply.  The numbers I gave I don't think are hyperexact, but it'll be within half a mile of that number.  As such, unless you're doing multiple stages between services, you almost always want Soft tires.

DR 2.0 does not do the "medium tires are better in the wet than soft" that WRC 9 for example does, so that should not factor into your decision.  The tire modeling is not that realistic, it's pretty much just distance based, other than wet asphalt is godawful with anything except the wet tires, and any non-asphalt tire is gonna be lousy on asphalt in Poland or Australia or whatever and not behave the same as an asphalt "Soft" would.

• Agree 1