Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×

Unplugging steering wheel crashes game

Wondering if I’m the only one.....

Title says it all & while the obvious solution is to simply not unplug the wheel while the game is still running - I play in my living room & therefore floor space is at a premium so would like to be able to pack away my wheel whilst watching race replay without the game crashing. 

• A detailed description of the issue. Please include any error codes here.

Unplugging my steering wheel from USB while the game is running causes it to crash.

• Platform

PC

• What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen)

• Game-mode?

Any single player game mode 

• We need to be able to make your problem happen internally so we can fix the issue. Can you make the problem happen again?

Yes 

• How do you make the problem happen?

Unplugging my wheel from the PC while the game is running. 

Normally this happens to me while watching the replay after a race - but the game will crash wherever I am (main menu, pause menu, on track, in garage etc) as soon as the wheel is unplugged from USB. 

• What troubleshooting have you attempted? Please always try to attempt to fix the issue 

The game just freezes & trying to shut it down through task manager takes forever so rebooting the pc is the only fix.

I’ve tried using the keyboard prior to unplugging the wheel (so that it becomes the primary input - assuming that’s what is actually happening - as reflected by the shortcuts for the replay controls changing from buttons on the wheel to keyboard keys) but that has no effect. The game will still crash/freeze as soon as the wheel is unplugged.

• What peripherals are you are using (gamepad, wheel make & model etc)

Logitech G29 wheel & shifter

• Any screenshots or video of the issue? If the video is long, please include a timestamp for when the issue appears. 

I can make a video if required but would think the above is pretty self explanatory.

"Warning: Controller disconnected" should be the message on screen.

Post a dxdiag. Most likely misconfigured USB or some hub that doesn't eject on unplugging.

17 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

"Warning: Controller disconnected" should be the message on screen.

Post a dxdiag. Most likely misconfigured USB or some hub that doesn't eject on unplugging.

Definitely not getting that "Warning: controller disconnected" msg - just the game freezing & then the Ego dumper crash dialog pops up when I try ALT+TAB out of the game. Miraculously, this time around I was able to send the crash report (but attached again here to be sure, to be sure).

Dxdiag also attached.

DxDiag.txt

Ego crash.txt

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Definitely not getting that "Warning: controller disconnected" msg - just the game freezing & then the Ego dumper crash dialog pops up when I try ALT+TAB out of the game. Miraculously, this time around I was able to send the crash report (but attached again here to be sure, to be sure).

Dxdiag also attached.

DxDiag.txt

Ego crash.txt

Can you please add the motherboard make and model as it's not in the dxdiag. You have Logitech peripherals too, a keyboard (combo)?

Also what is the screen make and model? The ego dumper .txt file is not as useful as the minidump (C:\Users\gus\AppData\Local\Temp\684536-20201015-154958.dmp) or the related (crash) .zip

I will look later today as I'm out soon.

2 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

Can you please add the motherboard make and model as it's not in the dxdiag. You have Logitech peripherals too, a keyboard (combo)?

Also what is the screen make and model? The ego dumper .txt file is not as useful as the minidump (C:\Users\gus\AppData\Local\Temp\684536-20201015-154958.dmp) or the related (crash) .zip

I will look later today as I'm out soon.

Sure, appreciate your help!

mobo is an ASUS Prime B450M-K AM4 M-ATX;

Monitor is a JVC LT-58N550A 58" LCD TV;

Keyboard & Mouse is a Logitech MK470 "Slim Combo";

I couldn't find the 684536-20201015-154958.dmp /.zip you referenced - but have attached the only zip with today's date saved in C:\Users\gus\AppData\Local\Temp 

684536-20201015-154255-0.zip

9 hours ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Sure, appreciate your help!

mobo is an ASUS Prime B450M-K AM4 M-ATX;

Monitor is a JVC LT-58N550A 58" LCD TV;

Keyboard & Mouse is a Logitech MK470 "Slim Combo";

I couldn't find the 684536-20201015-154958.dmp /.zip you referenced - but have attached the only zip with today's date saved in C:\Users\gus\AppData\Local\Temp 

684536-20201015-154255-0.zip

That's exactly the file I think it will be helpful to CM, I notice dynamic scaling is turned on, it may be advisable to turn it off.

Also, with a TV the refresh rate can be capped at 60Hz.

UEFI 2202 (use EZ Flash) and motherboard drivers.

Updated audio drivers.

Logitech GHub should sort your keyboard, mouse and wheel. Be sure to remove the old LGS with Geek Uninstaller.

All your USB ports are USB 3.1 - except any case front ports coming from the internal USB header USB_34 and USB_56, try the wheel in those or look to set the USB mode to EHCI instead of XHCI (this will make all your USB 3.1 ports work in USB 2.0 mode - not ideal, but may prove a point).

Edited by steviejay69
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

That's exactly the file I think it will be helpful to CM, I notice dynamic scaling is turned on, it may be advisable to turn it off.

Also, with a TV the refresh rate can be capped at 60Hz.

UEFI 2202 (use EZ Flash) and motherboard drivers.

Updated audio drivers.

Logitech GHub should sort your keyboard, mouse and wheel. Be sure to remove the old LGS with Geek Uninstaller.

All your USB ports are USB 3.1 - except any case front ports coming from the internal USB header USB_34 and USB_56, try the wheel in those or look to set the USB mode to EHCI instead of XHCI (this will make all your USB 3.1 ports work in USB 2.0 mode - not ideal, but may prove a point).

So I tried everything you suggested with the exception of GHub which was already installed & up to date.

Same result though, the game always freezes without displaying any "warning: controller disconnected" message... 

On the plus side, The Ego dumper is accessible now after the crash so I don't have to reboot the PC :classic_tongue: 

Thanks for the help regardless :classic_sleep:

• Thanks 1

Try USBDeView and remove all entries for the wheel with it disconnected, then try different ports, deleting the new entries after each insertion that doesn't work.

Try SafelyRemove (trial) to see if there are any clues when you pull (or eject if possible) the G29.

Edited by steviejay69

I’m back on this, after a short sanity break. 

Have made a couple of interesting observations - Plugging in a DS4 controller (via USB cable) is detected by the game immediately & The controller works perfectly (even gives the “controller disconnected” message when unplugged again, without crashing the game & I can press anything on the wheel or keyboard to carry on).

Funnily enough, every time I plug/unplug the wheel into the PC, Windows will play a little sound whereas it doesn’t play any sound for the DS4 ever. The Sherlock in me suggests that’s the smoking gun right there 🤔🕵🏻‍♂️🧐

So I’ll try USBDeView & SafelyRemove as you suggested at some point in the coming days then report back.

Edited by Guga_Cyr
  • Like 1