DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Best forum for really basic Rally/Dirt 2.0 questions?

I'm a bit confused by the forum options here and elsewhere, so I'm looking for suggestions. 

Where do you post discussion about really basic Rally concepts, Dirt 2.0 questions, driving questions, etc., along with a general discussion about everyone's latest and greatest sim rally exploits?

For instance, here are three questions I've thought about recently:

1. Gears between turns: So let's say you come out of a 3-Right and the next turn is a 3-Left, and it's about 30 km(?) away. You are at the top of 3rd gear when you come out of the 3-R. Do you shift into 4th even though you will need to shift down in a couple of seconds? Or do you stay in 3rd all the way through the 3-L?
  2. Repairs: When you repair a vehicle, there are options for standard or replace. Standard repairs supposedly restore the parts to good condition, but how good are the repairs as compared to a complete replacement? IOW, if I could repair a light damage engine, would it be as good as replacing with a new engine would be in the next event?
  3. Tyres (or, as we say in the U.S., "Tires"): I've gathered a lot of advice about which grade of tyre to use when, and I confess that the descriptions in-game don't do a great job of explaining the differences. Where can I post about tyre use?

I've been on discussion forums before where people get really pissy when you ask basic questions that have been asked before, but there are so many forums and options for racing that there ought to be some good places to post these types of comments. And I mean Rally-specific. I'm no F1 pilot. :)

Thoughts?

8 hours ago, EggBerry said:

Where do you post discussion about really basic Rally concepts, Dirt 2.0 questions, driving questions, etc., along with a general discussion about everyone's latest and greatest sim rally exploits?

Just open a thread in the DR2.0 main forum I guess.
But since you already have this one, we can use it.
Maybe some magic happens and it will be moved to the right forum.

Gears between turns: So let's say you come out of a 3-Right and the next turn is a 3-Left, and it's about 30 km(?) away. You are at the top of 3rd gear when you come out of the 3-R. Do you shift into 4th even though you will need to shift down in a couple of seconds? Or do you stay in 3rd all the way through the 3-L?

30 km? There is no 30 km straight in DR2.0 😄 
I guess you meant 30 meters.

Depends if you hit the limiter then.
If not, stay in 3rd, if yes, then shift up unless you are not ultimately in front of the corner.
But there are 3 rights/lefts I would go through in 4th gear depending on the car and situation.

Repairs: When you repair a vehicle, there are options for standard or replace. Standard repairs supposedly restore the parts to good condition, but how good are the repairs as compared to a complete replacement? IOW, if I could repair a light damage engine, would it be as good as replacing with a new engine would be in the next event?

Quick repair: Only use it, if you are short on time. The part will be repaired, but (I believe) it is more likely it gets damaged more easily then and it loses "power" more quickely. But not 100% sure on that. It also can't get "standard" repaired after you quickly repaired it once. Only quickly repaired again or replaced.

Standard repair: The part gets fully repaired, but costs more time then quick repair. I believe it fills up the power bar, too.

Replacing the part: Don't use it within a rally unless you have enough time and (in My Team) money for it, because it is very time consuming and costs the most money. Replace quick repaired parts in the garage, if you have enough money, so it gets completely new and full function again in My Team.
Quick repaired cars outside of My Team doesn't matter obviously.

Tyres (or, as we say in the U.S., "Tires"): I've gathered a lot of advice about which grade of tyre to use when, and I confess that the descriptions in-game don't do a great job of explaining the differences. Where can I post about tyre use?

Just do it here, I guess?
The main advice is: On asphalt rallies use always a wet tyre, if there is a wet stage until the next service area.
Use only mediums, if there are more than 2 longs or 4 short stages until the next service area.
Only use softs in Monaco, if there are no stages with snow (the upper sections of the long stages).

13 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

30 km? There is no 30 km straight in DR2.0 😄 
I guess you meant 30 meters.

Depends if you hit the limiter then.
If not, stay in 3rd, if yes, then shift up unless you are not ultimately in front of the corner.
But there are 3 rights/lefts I would go through in 4th gear depending on the car and situation.

Yes, 50 years having the Imperial measurement system drilled into your head does no good in Rally. :D I meant 30m.

A few times now, I've turned through the first three, and the second turn is just far enough away that I bump up against the limiter, but close enough that I'll immediately have to downshift/break for it almost immediately after. Kind of a gear purgatory.

13 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

The main advice is: On asphalt rallies use always a wet tyre, if there is a wet stage until the next service area.
Use only mediums, if there are more than 2 longs or 4 short stages until the next service area.
Only use softs in Monaco, if there are no stages with snow (the upper sections of the long stages).

See, this is very helpful, because the advice I've heard from others (@PJTierney, for instance) is that you always use soft, especially in challenges. I've used hard for Argentina a couple of times, but there are so many variables in set up that I couldn't tell if the tyres made any impact on those stages.

On 10/14/2020 at 2:38 PM, EggBerry said:

A few times now, I've turned through the first three, and the second turn is just far enough away that I bump up against the limiter, but close enough that I'll immediately have to downshift/break for it almost immediately after. Kind of a gear purgatory.

Hard to say without seeing video footage.
I had a similiar situation yesterday in spain with 3-4 corners were switching from left to right 2 times.

I just upshifted and downshifted a split of a second later.

14 hours ago, UnderclassGDfan said:

Hard to say without seeing video footage.
I had a similiar situation yesterday in spain with 3-4 corners were switching from left to right 2 times.

I just upshifted and downshifted a split of a second later.

One particular series is in New England. I think I have some recent footage. I ran into it today on the Monthly H1 Challenge, iirc. It's a 3-R and about 30METERS to a 3-L. Like I said, it's just long enough that I'm redlining 3rd gear, but I'd only be in 4th for a second, like you said. Of course, I may be using too much throttle through there. Perhaps when I get better at corners, I'll be closer to 4th when I come out of the 3R.