F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Game Update | Developer Log | October 2020

Hello racers!

Just wanted to give a ‘'state of the union' address on F1 2020, its launch and our focuses moving forward with the development cycle of the game.

We'd firstly like to thank everyone for the positive feedback with our new Myteam game-mode, which has been a huge success and a valuable addition to the game. We’re also delighted to see that the updates and changes to our handling model have been so positively received.

We are still working towards continuing to improve our game to be the best experience it can be. We have added a little insight into our plans moving forward for the development of  F1 2020 below:

Firstly, we have a title update coming very soon where we have addressed the following major issues:

• A much-requested performance patch, bringing the game closer to the always-changing pecking order of the sport.
  • An exploit in Time Trial and events caused by entering and fast-forwarding an instant replay has now been resolved
  • A Multiplayer issue that allowed a player to start a flying lap in qualifying where there is not enough time left in the session.
  • A Multiplayer issue that stopped corner cutting penalties being applied when quitting and re-joining a race after a formation lap.
  • Colour issues on sponsors suits, helmets and car liveries in MyTeam on the PS4 Pro
  • A Multiplayer issue where framerates will drop and lock to 30FPS when re-joining an active race session that this player was previously a part of

As well as this, we have fixes currently in the testing phase for the highly-discussed issues below:

• A 'Leagues' game-mode issue where results do not submit after completing races
  • A multiplayer issue where quitting and re-joining a race with a formation lap can impact race results
  • Race Director at the end of Practice Sessions doesn't show tyre used to set time.
  • Xbox players being kicked from lobbies with the error code H078.6443.
  • A MyTeam issue where facilities were resetting to zero and upgrades are stuck in progress
  • A Multiplayer issue where a host will start the race before the rest of players if Formation Lap is On - This is something still in test, as our original fix scheduled fo r the upcoming patch did not pass the testing phase. 

We're also aware of the following key issues and are currently under investigation as a priority with the development team:

• Players reporting corrupt Save games. This seemed to happen after our 1.08 update – This one is of critical importance to us at the moment, and any PS4 and PC saves people can provide to us here would be really appreciated.
  • A Multiplayer issue where users leaving and re-joining sessions can cause game performance issues for players racing in that session.
  • A Multiplayer issue where the Player does not see the Race Start lights display.
  • A MyTeam issue where some players have their Facilities development reset to 0  and upgrades to these are stuck ‘in progress’

Furthermore, the issues in the second and third sections are the key issues we are currently focusing on, but have not yet found a solution for. At the moment, we are still attempting to recreate these issues in the third section, so adding your information will be really helpful. Please note that as with all issues under investigation, we cannot promise a fix for these issues.  If you experience these, please send us videos, full bug reports and report codes added onto the original threads so we can continue to diagnose and aim to resolve.

Wishing you all well and good fortune on your heroics into saint devote.

Barry

EDIT: Just to update here for others reference, F2 2020 will be coming, and is currently a 'work in progress'. At the moment, I have no specifics regarding dates, but this is something we are working towards and are committed to completing.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 6

8 minutes ago, GioProductions said:

Thanks for the update @BarryBL

1 question, when can we expect the F2 2020 drivers?

Thanks for the question @GioProductions. The 2020 update for F2 is something we are committed to completing, and will be. However, it is currently a 'work in progress' at this time and there is no date set for release at the moment.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• A Multiplayer issue where users leaving and re-joining sessions can cause game performance issues for players racing in that session.

This is an easy issue to re-create by just having a couple of people in the lobby (racing) and having someone joining and leaving the lobby, they don't even have to load into the session just join the lobby itself.
This makes it super annoying especially as people just join lobbies from the unranked list and cause a screen freeze for all drivers see the race is already underway and then leave and repeat until they find a lobby/session that isn't already underway.

Edited by YodaMRL
  • Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Get your bug reports in.

As an aside, I recently changed graphics cards from RX580 to RX5700XT and everything went smoothly, no issues. (DDU'ed 20.5.1 and reinstalled)

I then observed an (unrelated) drop in NVMe performance and I did a complete rebuild in software (1909 and same drivers) and started getting EGO dumper crashes after a rebuild. On drill down the only differences were the network driver (newer) and the sound driver (configuration). I now have the 'Voice control unavailable' message, despite a restore and first run of the game, so I don't know. 

I did a manual refresh of the contents of the Steam folders related to the game as I don't trust Steam cloud sync when it is removed suddenly (as is Steam's want to go FUBAR at any given moment). Recently though, I have had a couple of instances of having to kill the game's executable as I was in a locked or hung lobby. That is a bug that needs addressing and pronto.

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, YodaMRL said:

This is an easy issue to re-create by just having a couple of people in the lobby (racing) and having someone joining and leaving the lobby, they don't even have to load into the session just join the lobby itself.
This makes it super annoying especially as people just join lobbies from the unranked list and cause a screen freeze for all drivers see the race is already underway and then leave and repeat until they find a lobby/session that isn't already underway.

Hi @YodaMRL,

I'd recommend adding your report and error codes as a bug report onto the appropriate thread.

We've added this to help users gain some extra visibility on what we are doing, where we are, and where the reports go. Extra reporting, in the right detail, is always very welcome. 👍

On 10/16/2020 at 6:53 PM, BarryBL said:
  • A much-requested performance patch, bringing the game closer to the always-changing pecking order of the sport.

6q6016ce21u51.png

Patch this patch please... Ferrari's car is definitely not the 4th fastest.. They battle with Alpha Tauris and Alfa Romeo (SPA, Monza and Mugello) and can't cope with McLaren, Renault and RP.. So this one needs a new patch..

You should think about having some kind of 'form' system where you'd be able to change the teams performance without the need of patch. Like in Fifa, the game should download the new values from your servers when you change them..

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, GioProductions said:

Thanks for the update @BarryBL

1 question, when can we expect the F2 2020 drivers?

Hi 

Are you looking into corrupt save fixes on Xbox too? I got mine after 1.10 I think and I was on Season 3 about to do Monaco. 

Yes @Scott_Grant116, through the below point:

"Players reporting corrupt Save games. This seemed to happen after our 1.08 update – This one is of critical importance to us at the moment, and any PS4 and PC saves people can provide to us here would be really appreciated."

The reason Xbox isn't specified in the request for savegames is that we cannot access Xbox savegame files without usernames and logins for accounts, which we cannot ask for due to Data Protection and privacy reasons. The users reporting corrupt Save games is something we are looking into across all platforms. However, adding a bug report in the correct thread is always appreciated.

2 minutes ago, MagicAlonso13 said:

6q6016ce21u51.png

Patch this patch please... Ferrari's car is definitely not the 4th fastest.. They battle with Alpha Tauris and Alfa Romeo (SPA, Monza and Mugello) and can't cope with McLaren, Renault and RP.. So this one needs a new patch..

You should think about having some kind of 'form' system where you'd be able to change the teams performance without the need of patch. Like in Fifa, the game should download the new values from your servers when you change them..

When you go with XBL, PSN or Steam, you go with XBL, PSN or Steam. I think EA are a bigger concern that can afford to run their own servers and operate via more online platforms. Although, the online services are effectively CM servers, so I suppose what you say would be possible. Just thinking out loud. 🙂

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Scott_Grant116 said:

Hi 

Are you looking into corrupt save fixes on Xbox too? I got mine after 1.10 I think and I was on Season 3 about to do Monaco. 

Hi @Scott_Grant116,

We are looking into the corrupt save files across all platforms. Please add your bug report  on the correct thread so we can continue to investigate. It's a little trickier for Xbox as we cannot access save game files like we can for PS4 and PC, as they are attached to user profiles and we cannot ask for login and account details for data protection, legal and logical reasons. 

But Xbox saves are also a part of the ongoing investigation, yes.

Thanks for the insight Barry, it is much appreciated and good to know you guys are still committed to fix stuff. ❤️

Though I'd like to ask you some questions I may have asked before, but were not addressed:
- What are your general plans regarding the future of the Multiplayer mode? Are you planning to just keep on fixing the current iteration or is there some kind of rework/revolution on it's way?
- Are you committed to 'rethink' the current penalty system and introduce some bigger changes?
- Are you happy with the current way bugs/problems are reported to you/your QA? 
- Is it possible to do an AmA with more devs from your Team?

I think I might have said this before but to me personally, you are the MVP at this company and an invaluable asset to your employer. Up until you came it felt like the developers of this game were very disconnected from it's actual fanbase and didn't listen to any fan requests. Things have changed a bit and the work you did during the last year is huge and the community, as well as the game, have clearly benefitted from it. Thanks again.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, LSKone said:

Thanks for the insight Barry, it is much appreciated and good to know you guys are still committed to fix stuff. ❤️

Though I'd like to ask you some questions I may have asked before, but were not addressed:
- What are your general plans regarding the future of the Multiplayer mode? Are you planning to just keep on fixing the current iteration or is there some kind of rework/revolution on it's way?
- Are you committed to 'rethink' the current penalty system and introduce some bigger changes?

I think I might have said this before but to me personally, you are the MVP at this company and an invaluable asset to your employer. Up until you came it felt like the developers of this game were very disconnected from it's actual fanbase and didn't listen to any fan requests. Things have changed a bit and the work you did during the last year is huge and the community, as well as the game, have clearly benefitted from it. Thanks again.

Just questions all ❤️ 

Very much interested in answers to all these questions.

19 minutes ago, LSKone said:

Thanks for the kind words @LSKone. I'll try and give some insight on these:

• At the moment in time, we are committed to improving the Multiplayer issues wherever possible, and higher discussions are taking place regarding Multiplayer and the direction we would want it to take long-term. Unfortunately, I can't specify on this too much at this point in time.
  • Again, something we are aware that has some issues in, and there are bug reports in place for ones discussed on the forums (e.g. Collisions under SC as the obvious example). Not too much detail I can give on this one I'm afraid.
  • This one however, I can, as it's my project. The Bug report really helps and, completed correctly, gives me all the information that developers directly need, making the transition from player to developer more efficient. This was one of the key things I noticed needing improving when I started. However, we do have a long-term vision for this and this one is currently sat with me. I'm currently exploring options in how I can improve the forum reporting again into something more streamlined and efficient and I'm working with our IT team and Invision to hopefully bring ideas to reality.
  • After @David Greco CM's Handling one being such a roaring success, I can certainly ask and try. Any requests for specific areas?
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Hi @BarryBL, great insight, gives a good idea on what you are aware of and how far you are in the process of fixing those things.

You mention the HO78.6443 error code on Xbox. Do you also have the H0403 Weekly Event error code on the radar and is there an update on that fix process?

4 minutes ago, ReimvomSchleim said:

Hi @BarryBL, great insight, gives a good idea on what you are aware of and how far you are in the process of fixing those things.

You mention the HO78.6443 error code on Xbox. Do you also have the H0403 Weekly Event error code on the radar and is there an update on that fix process?

We have it bugged and logged, and is something under investigation and on our radar. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

When you go with XBL, PSN or Steam, you go with XBL, PSN or Steam. I think EA are a bigger concern that can afford to run their own servers and operate via more online platforms. Although, the online services are effectively CM servers, so I suppose what you say would be possible. Just thinking out loud. 🙂

Yeah, for such 'small data' the problem shouldn't be where it will be stored but how it will be stored, encrypted and verified. There are obviously numerous ways of how it can be distributed so that would be up to devs whether they want to have their own distribution system (e.g. Blob storage + CDN, or even their own servers) or to use xbl, psn, steam and code that per platform..

On 10/19/2020 at 8:44 AM, MagicAlonso13 said:

6q6016ce21u51.png

This.    This right here needs further attention no doubt. 

Started a new career after the updates.

Through 3 races here are the Ferrari driver's results:

Leclerc - 4th, 5th, 4th.

Vettel - 6th, 4th, 5th

Further more I finished ahead of both Ferarri drivers in my McLaren in all 3 events.  So without me outperforming my car they'd have likely been one position higher each race.  Come on guys....  That's not a performance update in the slightest.   Especially when Ferrari is rated ahead of McLaren & Renault, teams which routinely out perform them every weekend.

Edited by petro1319
  • Agree 1

On 10/19/2020 at 6:55 AM, BarryBL said:

Yes @Scott_Grant116, through the below point:

"Players reporting corrupt Save games. This seemed to happen after our 1.08 update – This one is of critical importance to us at the moment, and any PS4 and PC saves people can provide to us here would be really appreciated."

The reason Xbox isn't specified in the request for savegames is that we cannot access Xbox savegame files without usernames and logins for accounts, which we cannot ask for due to Data Protection and privacy reasons. The users reporting corrupt Save games is something we are looking into across all platforms. However, adding a bug report in the correct thread is always appreciated.

I don't know if this is a bug or not. But the commentators aren't speaking during the FP1 & Q1 intros and also sometimes dont speak before the race

10 minutes ago, thegodfather710 said:

I don't know if this is a bug or not. But the commentators aren't speaking during the FP1 & Q1 intros and also sometimes dont speak before the race

Please post as a separate thread @thegodfather710 following the approved template. Link:

Replication (so, how many times it has happened to you out of how many times attempted) will be key to add here.

1 minute ago, Gladystonff said:

@BarryBL Don't forget this problem.

With developers. The Update was simply highlighted the main issues discussed via Community. Other issues are always being worked on.

Hiya Barry, is there any news on the safety rating in ranked games ?? I have had to go down to b and c ratings just to get good lobbies ?

On 10/19/2020 at 1:44 PM, MagicAlonso13 said:

6q6016ce21u51.png

On 10/21/2020 at 1:21 PM, petro1319 said:

This.    This right here needs further attention no doubt. 

Started a new career after the updates.

Through 3 races here are the Ferrari driver's results:

Leclerc - 4th, 5th, 4th.

Vettel - 6th, 4th, 5th

Further more I finished ahead of both Ferarri drivers in my McLaren in all 3 events.  So without me outperforming my car they'd have likely been one position higher each race.  Come on guys....  That's not a performance update in the slightest.   Especially when Ferrari is rated ahead of McLaren & Renault, teams which routinely out perform them every weekend.

Have to agree with all of this.

Since starting a fresh Driver Career save with the performance patch, I've had identical results - Leclerc & Vettel consistently getting 4ths and 5ths. Worse still, after only 4 races, they have the top engine once more, faster than Mercedes. At that point they started getting poles and podiums. Their laptimes are constantly within 0.5secs of Hamilton. I expected Ferrari to be pants, Leclerc around 6th, Vettel around 12th for two thirds of the season before they were able to work their way back up. Their resurgence has happened waaayyyy too quickly and it feels like the downgrade has been done half-heartedly. A big shame if this was intentional.

Vettel himself also needs a big downgrade, the fact he said himself today he can't get anywhere near Leclerc's pace - whether that's due to skill or a drop in morale because Ferrari are releasing him, the fact is the game is trying hard to be viewed as a simulator and the first step to doing that is being accurate with driver and team representation. 

On the flipside, Racing Point are doing relatively poorly, barely scraping the top 10. It's all upside down.

For the record, I'm not anti-Ferrari (Leclerc is one of my favourite drivers and I love Ferrari's history). I just like accuracy, especially when I've held off from playing for over a month on the promise that an accurate update was coming. 😕

Edited by s00zster
  • Agree 2