Sign in to follow this  

Dat der wee race in Canadia.

The situation at Mercedes just seems so bizarre to me, that both of them encountered identical problems at an identical time . According to Niki Lauda all the electrical systems failed, which depressingly means even 160bhp down the Mercedes was holding its own against the field. Superb stuff from Rosberg to almost end up winning. 

What a race though. I'd be lying if I wasn't a bit annoyed that it was only Vettel's strategy that put him behind Ricciardo, and hence maybe lost him the win, but this season I'll take a 3rd still any day. Especially considering he would've been wiped out by Massa at the end had it not been for him being a bit lively on the brakes. Boy that was a scary crash, happy to hear Massa and Checo are okay. 

But like everyone I'm also massively happy for Dan. It was on the cards to happen at some point, didn't think it would be here but it was well deserved in the end. Forza Red Bull!

WHAT.A.RACE !!!! Delighted for Dan Ric. Such a nice guy. Some brilliant drives from Ricciardo , Rosberg , Perez and Button. Thank God Montreal is on the calender for another 11 years.

I fail to see how Ricciardo's driver was a "great" drive. It was good, but it was pretty much Vettel's but one place ahead and a couple behind at times.

EdMa said:
Sour grapes. 
No, it just wasn't anything special. He was 3rd, Vettel was 4th following Perez for a long period of time. If it wasn't for a poor decision by RBR then Vettel would have won. Ricciardo was fortunate that Perez had an issue and he was able to pass, then catch a slow Mercedes easily. Vettel was stuck behind Hulkenberg, unable to pass due to a lack of power earlier, that's a fact. Ricciardo took his chance well, but then I'd expect anyone sitting in one of those cars to take it, that is why they're in F1.

That's my opinion and I backed it up with evidence from Ted Kravtiz and what I saw, spam that disagree button all you like.

Took a mighty overtake by Ricciardo to get pass.
It was decent, but 1 good overtake does not equal a great drive. Any driver that is in a faster car should be able to do that overtake on a slower car, Alosno, Kimi, Lewis, Vettel, Rosberg etc. all could have done it. 

Many comments I've read from other sites say the same as I said earlier: Red Bull screwed up Vettels race. 

AMS97KRR said:
Took a mighty overtake by Ricciardo to get pass.
It was decent, but 1 good overtake does not equal a great drive. Any driver that is in a faster car should be able to do that overtake on a slower car, Alosno, Kimi, Lewis, Vettel, Rosberg etc. all could have done it. 

Many comments I've read from other sites say the same as I said earlier: Red Bull screwed up Vettels race. 
Why did Vettel not to it to Ricciardo then?

AMS97KRR said:
EdMa said:
Sour grapes. 
No, it just wasn't anything special. He was 3rd, Vettel was 4th following Perez for a long period of time. If it wasn't for a poor decision by RBR then Vettel would have won. Ricciardo was fortunate that Perez had an issue and he was able to pass, then catch a slow Mercedes easily. Vettel was stuck behind Hulkenberg, unable to pass due to a lack of power earlier, that's a fact. Ricciardo took his chance well, but then I'd expect anyone sitting in one of those cars to take it, that is why they're in F1.

That's my opinion and I backed it up with evidence from Ted Kravtiz and what I saw, spam that disagree button all you like.
Who actually uses these buttons? It's not Facebook or Twitter. 

Whinge all you like, but Vettel didn't exactly take the initative. The team did everything right telling him to save his tyres until the end. Ricciado was cooking his tyres behind Perez although Vettel wasn't exactly helping him self being half a second behind for 20 odd laps. They couldn't have foreseen the contact at the end nor the speed of Perez down the straight, nor Rosberg seeming return of some sort of power. 

Ricciardo been's the best RB driver this year, put in a better lap to get ahead of Vettel in the pit window and started three places behind his team mate on the grid. Haven't (most of) Vettel's fans been harping on about "you make your own luck" the last 4 years? 

Heard that Perez had an electrical problem which allowed Ricciardo to overtake him. Then of course Perez's brakes began to fail so maybe he had the same problem as the Mercedes cars.

Chilton got a 3 place grid penalty for Austria btw for causing a collision

EdMa said:
AMS97KRR said:
EdMa said:
Sour grapes. 

Who actually uses these buttons? It's not Facebook or Twitter. 

Whinge all you like, but Vettel didn't exactly take the initative. The team did everything right telling him to save his tyres until the end. Ricciado was cooking his tyres behind Perez although Vettel wasn't exactly helping him self being half a second behind for 20 odd laps. They couldn't have foreseen the contact at the end nor the speed of Perez down the straight, nor Rosberg seeming return of some sort of power. 

Ricciardo been's the best RB driver this year, put in a better lap to get ahead of Vettel in the pit window and started three places behind his team mate on the grid. Haven't (most of) Vettel's fans been harping on about "you make your own luck" the last 4 years? 
Well in the same car, both with DRS as well, getting past is verging on impossible because they both had DRS, splistream etc. 

Half a second down? At time he was lower than that but still, in a straight line it was impossible. 

Oh and people do use the buttons, although most of the time for no apparent reason like @GoldenColt

At the end of the day, if Perez hadn't had an issue, it would have ended Rosberg, Perez, Ricciardo. And you cannot deny that. It was good, but also very lucky and his drive was not really much better than Vettels, who, may I remind you, kept Massa at bay towards the end despite being in a slower car in straights. He did some quality defensive driving at times. He was very unlucky not to win in the end.

Ricciardo has been doing better than Vettel this season. That's 6 races out of 7 where he's finished ahead now and Red Bull didn't make a poor decision on Vettel's strategy. I honestly think Ricciardo's was just better which therefore got him out ahead of Vettel and then Ricciardo made a couple of great moves to go and win an epic Grand Prix. 

Ricciardo is doing so well this year, I'm so pleased he won.

Not really a fair reflection though is it @JensonBottom? 

@PeteTheDuck - Vettel was quality right up until he got stuck behind a car it was impossible to pass. Lets be honest here, there was not anything he could do about Hulkenberg. Ricciardo couldn't have passed him either. And we have to remember, while Ricciardo did that lap, Vettel was tucked up behind Perez. Track position meant a lot today, that is why Vettel lost out, not due to speed so much. Vettel is nearly there, just needs something to go his way for once in 2014.

Mexicola said:
Chilton finishes.

EARLY. Quote me properly, you're not Andrew Benson!

And yeah, the "disagree" button is pretty lame and so are the people who use it. If you disagree with someone at least bother your arse to post why.

AMS97KRR said:
Not really a fair reflection though is it @JensonBottom? 

@PeteTheDuck - Vettel was quality right up until he got stuck behind a car it was impossible to pass. Lets be honest here, there was not anything he could do about Hulkenberg. Ricciardo couldn't have passed him either. And we have to remember, while Ricciardo did that lap, Vettel was tucked up behind Perez. Track position meant a lot today, that is why Vettel lost out, not due to speed so much. Vettel is nearly there, just needs something to go his way for once in 2014.
That's not strictly true. Had he used more skill he could have overtaken him :p Nah, just kidding, but even Button managed to pass Hulkenberg today in what is a pretty average car, and it didn't take him long to do that either. I haven't seen the move on TV but Button seemed to just breeze up behind him and Alonso and he got past them pretty pronto.

Totally agree. I only ever use it in these threads because others do. It also annoys me because other people who like Vettel or other things in general that I like agree with me and post very similar things elsewhere, yet there is only a maximum of 4 here, so I get more disagrees because of that.

@PeteTheDuck‌ the Force India was just too fast on straights, it was horrible to watch someone just sat there all race because of it. Perez had an issue, that is why both Red a Bulls passed him. Annoyed there was a last minute SC, not sure if Vettel could have stolen 2nd or not

You need to reconsider your thoughts if you find it annoying that someone dislikes your post on an internet forum that has no impact on your life. Its a nice feature to save time having to write a long winded response when you can't be bothered. We're not changing legislation or anything.

I'm absolutely gutted. Set my alarm for 3:53 this morning. Got up, turned on the TV, fell asleep sometime around the start. Woke up three hours later, TV still on but something else on. When does the highlights show go up on iPlayer?