Sign in to follow this  

Dat der wee race in Canadia.

Vettel looked more on form in Canada than he previously has, so Vettel and Ricciardo is very close to Hamilton and Rosberg. 

I don't really see an option for Alonso but to wait at Ferrari. Red Bull will be more than happy with their pairing, Mercedes will feel the same. McLaren is a step sideways, maybe even backwards. If Lotus got the Mercedes engines for next year, maybe he could end up there? There will be room for one more team there, and Lotus may not be considered as a direct threat to Mercedes. I'm not really sure if it is possible or not. 

I mean other than that, where else is there? It is a shame, but I don't think Alonso will win another title unless Ferrari improve a lot. And lets face it, that will be a couple of seasons. 

Considering Kimi finished 3rd in the championship in 2012 on his return and I believe it was 5th or something in 2013 despite missing the last couple of races, you can't really say he under performed there, I mean Grosjean simply wasn't as fast as him in the races and we know Grosjean does have the speed. He is struggling at Ferrari, but remember he's been punted into enough times putting him out of good positions, in Spain he was nip and tuck with Alonso, Monaco he was an absolute beast until Chilton hit him. He needs more time, especially adapting to what we know is a dog of a car, even Alonso was struggling on the brakes last weekend. I wouldn't put him at the top now simply because of his consistency, we have seen the speed pop up here and there even in a couple of  quali sessions. I'd put him with Rosberg as a driver who can push the top 3 guys, but isn't as complete or consistent anymore. 

I'm just going to sit down and be patient, wait and see what happens in the long run. I think what really catches my eye right now is the fact that we have so many rookies already pushing the top drivers this early in their careers. Hulkenberg, Ricciado and Bottas come to mind. I think we have an exciting future driver wise.

I don't see why people still think Kimi's one of the best on the current grid. Dude hasn't been spectacular ever since 2006 and I don't want to know what the likes of Hamilton or Alonso would have been able to get out of the Lotus in 2012 and 2013.

Alonso/Raikkonen is by far not the strongest pairing in F1 right now, that should be clear. Hell, I'd rate Vettel/Ricciardo higher than the Ferrari boys (mainly due to Kimi).

Ham/Ros on top imo.
That's more down to the cars than the actual drivers though I think at the moment

Alonso is still the best on the grid. He's probably had his absolute peak but he's still on top form. He's making Raikkonen look like an amateur atm. Alonso has got the best result possible in that Ferrari at every race so far this season, bar Canada due to that mistake at the end. 

I think he'll get a 3rd WDC, he wants it & he's fit enough to carry on for another 5+ years.

I'd also say Button has a few more years in him, still Magnessun hasn't shown him up.

Alonso has the ability to get that 3rd one. But which team will he win at? Mercedes + Red Bull are better now, and as a result, Probably next year too because they have a better car to work from and build on.

Lukedfrt said:
Alonso is still the best on the grid. He's probably had his absolute peak but he's still on top form. He's making Raikkonen look like an amateur atm. Alonso has got the best result possible in that Ferrari at every race so far this season, bar Canada due to that mistake at the end. 

I think he'll get a 3rd WDC, he wants it & he's fit enough to carry on for another 5+ years.

I'd also say Button has a few more years in him, still Magnessun hasn't shown him up.
People say this, but then completely ignore the fact that everytime you see Alonso on track, Raikkonen is always there and a few times this season, in front, he just can't catch a break with reckless idiots on track (Kobayashi Austrailia + Electronics failure much worse than Alonso's, Magnussen Malaysia, Magnussen Bahrain, Chilton Monaco). He has been near Alonso quali wise and fast in the practice sessions, hardly amatuer if Alonso is supposed to be the best on the grid. It's probably less painful for me, I feel for Alonso fans watching his career fade away bit by bit with Alonso being completely powerless.

Lukedfrt said:

People say this, but then completely ignore the fact that everytime you see Alonso on track, Raikkonen is always there and a few times this season, in front, he just can't catch a break with reckless idiots on track (Kobayashi Austrailia + Electronics failure much worse than Alonso's, Magnussen Malaysia, Magnussen Bahrain, Chilton Monaco). He has been near Alonso quali wise and fast in the practice sessions, hardly amatuer if Alonso is supposed to be the best on the grid. It's probably less painful for me, I feel for Alonso fans watching his career fade away bit by bit with Alonso being completely powerless.
Kimi has been unlucky this year, no question. But Monaco & Spain are the only times he's been on par with Alonso.
He was destroyed by him at China, and last weekend he must have ended up about 30+ seconds behind.
Still i think Kimi will come back towards the end of the season, but i can't see him getting close to Alonso in the championship.

Lukedfrt said:
Lukedfrt said:

Kimi has been unlucky this year, no question. But Monaco & Spain are the only times he's been on par with Alonso.
He was destroyed by him at China, and last weekend he must have ended up about 30+ seconds behind.
Still i think Kimi will come back towards the end of the season, but i can't see him getting close to Alonso in the championship.
Unfortunately neither will get close to the championship at Ferrari, not for a few years at least.

I can't see Ferrari providing a championship winning car for the next 2 years (2015, 2016), and isn't that when Alonso's contract is up at Ferrari? I think Mercedes will win again next season to be honest, but with close competition from Red Bull. 

So where can Alonso go after that? Mercedes I think will stay the same with Hamilton and Rosberg for a few years, and I can't really see Vettel and Ricciardo leaving Red Bull either. McLaren, maybe they'll be competitive again by then, who knows.

But I think if Alonso wants another championship he'll have to go somewhere else. I think McLaren could be his best bet.

I can't see Ferrari providing a championship winning car for the next 2 years (2015, 2016), and isn't that when Alonso's contract is up at Ferrari? I think Mercedes will win again next season to be honest, but with close competition from Red Bull. 

So where can Alonso go after that? Mercedes I think will stay the same with Hamilton and Rosberg for a few years, and I can't really see Vettel and Ricciardo leaving Red Bull either. McLaren, maybe they'll be competitive again by then, who knows.

But I think if Alonso wants another championship he'll have to go somewhere else. I think McLaren could be his best bet.
I agree with that too the only question would be whether Alonso could put his past disagreements with them behind him because if he can't then it won't look good for him 

I would rather be in McLaren with Ron Dennis and his team than Ferrari who don't seem to be able to make any form of improvement. 

I would rather be in McLaren with Ron Dennis and his team than Ferrari who don't seem to be able to make any form of improvement. 
so would I but this is the question Alonso has to ask himself I think if he wants a real shot of at least 1 more title before he retires that's his best option because I don't think he'll get it hanging around at Ferrari right now. The only other possible option would be maybe Lotus but he'd need to bring some money to the table in order to make it happen though and take Maldonado's seat. The one thing in his favour here is he knows the people there given it's still moer or less his former Renault team. I think the move back to McLaren is the more likely to happen it's just a question of whether he'd be comfortable making that move

Someone should send a tweet to Fernando Alonso with a link to this thread. Then he could take our advice and I believe we would solely be responsible for his 3rd world championship.

Someone should send a tweet to Fernando Alonso with a link to this thread. Then he could take our advice and I believe we would solely be responsible for his 3rd world championship.
Well 123 tweeted Ferrari about the Abu Dhabi race ending on lap 1 and Fernando being champion in 2010 but I don't think it worked.. :P

who's to say he's not watching it already :p

The thing is both McLaren and Ferrari are currently in transitional stages, and are likely to continue being in that stage over the next few years, so it's fairly hard to judge where Alonso's best bet is. 

Even after a few years still though I just can't understand the situation at McLaren. They ended 2012 with the best car, and they started 2013 badly, but everyone expected them to resource their way out it. Here we are a year on and we've still not seen any real improvement. They're falling down the field if anything even with the superior engine of the grid, and you've got Eric Boullier saying it will be another few years before they reach the top again. I can't get my head around how and why one bad winter for McLaren has now transcended in to what looks like multiple years of mediocrity, and why they can't get it fixed. 

mike96 said:
Well 123 tweeted Ferrari about the Abu Dhabi race ending on lap 1 and Fernando being champion in 2010 but I don't think it worked.. :P
Pessimist. 

Though I do feel that if he does move and wins another championship, we're entitled to some of the prize money.

I blame Button for McLaren's mediocrity. Back mediocre drivers and you get mediocre performances. Which is why Ferrari obviously went bad, Alonso's fault.

Jiggy said:
I blame Button for McLaren's mediocrity. Back mediocre drivers and you get mediocre performances. Which is why Ferrari obviously went bad, Alonso's fault.
I don't BAR/Honda were never the strongest team and they only really woke up once Ross Brawn got involved for me the only reason why McLaren and Ferrari are struggling is because they're lacking leadership right now. I think now thart Ron Dennis has reasserted himself back in charge there's hope McLaren can recover a full recovery still takes time though tbf. Ferrari on the other hand still need a Ross Brawn/Ron Dennis type character with a clear vision to start leading them if they want to even think about recovering tbh. It's got nothing to do with Button because on the one occasion he's hada shot at glory he's taken it so he can't be all that bad.