F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Who invented the strict penalty system?

I would like you to solve a question I have. Who invented the strict penalty system? I think you don't have to have much of an idea about F1. This is a problem that has been going on for years, but you make up the F1 rules, the game continues to penalize you for stepping on the piano, it's amazing. And don't tell me to use the normal penalty mode, a mode that lets you cut corners and cheat. It is a shame that year after year the penalty system is unrealistic. I would recommend that you watch an F1 race from time to time and read the F1 regulations because you need it. I don't understand why the F1 rules are invented.

• Agree 1

It's amazing. 
Also how minimal corner cuts (tire on the line) almost always result in a warning, whereas if you stay off track longer, the game lets you get away with it. 
All because of some arbitrary "if you go faster than the ai during your time off track you get a warning' rule) 

Everybody who has seen f1 knows that people don't get penalties for that like, ever. (although they might have their laptime invalidated) Especially not while fighting wheel to wheel.
Only if they Consistently cut/go wide on the same corner 3+ times the stewards are gonna start giving warning flags. They said so literally in last weeks grand prix. 

No f1 driver, ever, in the history of f1, has gotten a 3 second time penalty for crossing the while line by 1 millimeter, 3 times in a race, at different corners.

A big help I think would be if that.. 3 warnings = a penalty system would only apply to the same corner.  (and even.. side of the track at a specific corner) 

so nog going wide in turn 1 on lap 1, then some silly wheel to wheel action in lap 17 in turn 8 and then in the second to last lap slightly go wide somewhere else and THAT'S A 3 SECOND PENALTY FOR YOU. 
That's just not fun game design. Especially if we can't even see said penalties on stream.

• Agree 1

It's a game, so they could do something a bit more experimental. I think it would be good to have a something like a 10% reduction in horsepower for a little while after extending a corner. Penalties are okay in terms of cutting corners, but going wide on the exit (but staying on kerbs/track) is a silly way of getting time penalties, because there is rarely meaningful gains to be had. Track extending is most exploitable when setting up an overtake - thinking of something like the Spoon curve in Japan - but this would be negated by the horsepower reduction. Needless to say, there shouldn't be penalties if someone punts you off the track..

• Disagree 1

Please no , not power reduction for going off circuit or cutting a corner slightly , They have brought that into Project Cars 3 and what a shambles it is  with you going slower for a period and everyone ghosting threough you until you have served the penalty 

• Agree 4

The most shameful of all this is that Codemasters does not recognize these types of errors, they are not capable of recognizing bugs and the worst of all is that they do not solve them. It depresses me to see the moderators answer topics that are absurd nonsense while in the serious topics they dedicate themselves to being quiet and not saying anything. But hey, we already know very well how this forum works. I personally only use the PS4 for F1 and having seen it, I won't even buy the PS5 and obviously I won't buy F1 2021, there comes a time when one gets tired of hearing and seeing the same lies every year.

• Agree 1

Something that I've noticed especially in Ranked qualifying, is that even if it's a mistake that costs you time, such as your rear wheels slipping out causing you to go wide on an adjustment, you still get a penalty.

That isn't really fair considering I'm not gaining or maintaining my lap time. It should only count if you gain time or maintain your lap time. For example if going wide costs you 0.3 and you end up qualifying 5th instead of 3rd, that should be punishment enough, no?

• Agree 2

17 minutes ago, campeonatoror said:

The most shameful of all this is that Codemasters does not recognize these types of errors, they are not capable of recognizing bugs and the worst of all is that they do not solve them. It depresses me to see the moderators answer topics that are absurd nonsense while in the serious topics they dedicate themselves to being quiet and not saying anything. But hey, we already know very well how this forum works. I personally only use the PS4 for F1 and having seen it, I won't even buy the PS5 and obviously I won't buy F1 2021, there comes a time when one gets tired of hearing and seeing the same lies every year.

DICE were the masters of this regarding Battlefront 2. There was a thread which was basically just a fan art thread, people posting their drawings and screenshots etc, the mods and developers would frequent that post on a regular basis to compliment the art work and even post their own.

There was also a Star Fighter assault mega thread, which had countless suggestions, balancing idea's, level design improvements and also content idea's for future updates - it was the most organised thread on the forum which had no arguing or bickering, just exploration of ideas. Not one mod/dev comment until the words "we have nothing planned for star fighter assault, but don't rule it out". Which was just pathetic.

The same can be said for other megathreads which just got ignored, such as the 'Extraction' megathread, as well as common bugs mega thread, which never saw any fixes or achknowledgement.

As I have said before, there is definitely too much difference between 'normal' and 'strict'. For some tracks normal is fine, but for others you can get away with a warning (or nothing) for some massive corner cutting. Ideally we would have something in between (which would be closer to real F1).

Agreed - there needs to be a "Realistic" setting as well - most corners in real life can be cut/extended without penalty, others not.

That being said, "Regular" is a lot more realistic than "Strict" - it allows more cutting, but is a bit too lenient in the corners where you'd get a penalty in real life, i.e. the final 2 corners at Red Bull Ring.

This big mistake is made by Codemasters. Has anyone seen the FIA say: this GP are we going to race with normal rules? Or tell the Belgian GP we run with strict rules? It is the same that happens with the aids, who has been the enlightened one that has invented predictive braking? With the amount of failures that this game has and they are dedicated to innovating in stupid things in order to sell. I have it clear, I got tired of Codemasters and with the PS5 entry the best option is to go to PC and run IRacing and enjoy the simulation. Personally, Codemasters has disappointed me dramatically by never being able to make a good finished F1 game, it has never finished a game, it has always had bugs and in the long run they always make the same excuse "we are immersed in the development of our new title and it will not work more in the current one, "every year the same. It doesn't bother me, but with time they will realize it and see that a game that is aimed at F1 lovers will become an arcade for children from 4 to 9 years old.

People have forgotten over the years that the strict ruleset wasn't really meant to be realistic, it was meant to be strict (and thus not realistic as the stewards aren't strict for people extending track limits). It was introduced in one of the F1 2015 updates, and basically considered a "hardcore mode" back then. Somehow over the years people have started to think strict is somehow realistic and partly because of this, the community demanded it to be used in the new ranked mode that was introduced to the game couple of years back... If we would've just told them to modify the normal setting, we wouldn't be having this conversation!

My suggestion is still to send feedback that the normal corner cutting setting is too lenient 🙂 

• Agree 1

I know perfectly well what you are talking about but that is a great Codemasters mistake, to pay attention to a few so that the vast majority are harmed and I give you an example, I do not know if the problem that a few had one or two years ago with overheating in some circuits and Codemasters modified the game, sorry to tell you that that was not a glitch in the game, just tapping the setup or turning the steering without abruptly there was no overheating. I think that nobody who runs and tries to have fun with the game is satisfied with the strict mode, you say that it does not have to be realistic, do you imagine that you could score goals with your hand in soccer games or you could get baskets without dribbling the ball in basketball games? I certainly can't imagine it. Codemasters always says they want to make a realistic game and in this respect they are getting it wrong. They should pay more attention to people who have been playing this type of game for a long time and spend a lot of time before it than to occasional players who take the game twice a year and do not like their pilot's gloves, I have certainly been buying I have been playing F1 since the beginning of play3 and competing virtually and I see that there are many people who know a lot about real and virtual F1 and you leave them aside when it comes to advice. I personally said it days ago, my intention is to stop buying and playing with the next F1 since it is not an incentive for me to have to buy PS5, I also tell you that if Codemasters had made a more decent game I would not have minded buying myself PS5 but for years it has put out the same game with a few modifications. I love F1 and I like racing F1 cars but lately I am not amused by Codemasters games. I hope that for the future you will take my opinion not as the opinion of someone unhappy but of someone who makes constructive criticism. A greeting.

On 10/22/2020 at 8:35 PM, UP100 said:

People have forgotten over the years that the strict ruleset wasn't really meant to be realistic, it was meant to be strict (and thus not realistic as the stewards aren't strict for people extending track limits). It was introduced in one of the F1 2015 updates, and basically considered a "hardcore mode" back then. Somehow over the years people have started to think strict is somehow realistic and partly because of this, the community demanded it to be used in the new ranked mode that was introduced to the game couple of years back... If we would've just told them to modify the normal setting, we wouldn't be having this conversation!

My suggestion is still to send feedback that the normal corner cutting setting is too lenient 🙂 

I didn't actually know this, I thought - as you said - that Strict was "Realistic mode". Good excuse for me to turn it back down :classic_biggrin: (I have had a couple of over-the-top penalties since turning it up).

• Haha 1

On 10/22/2020 at 9:35 PM, UP100 said:

Well that's because "regular" is a total cornercutting madhouse then and That should be fixed then. 
Although just a 'better' way of calculating if time was gained in a corner or not is preferable. 

I get what you're saying, but if the end result is now we have 2 garbage cc modes and neither of them is realistic. 
On regular you can get away with cutting almost every chicane even in quali.