F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Auto or manual gear for controller users

I cant seem to get a poll go work so I'll try here. I'm interested in seeing what the ratio is between manual and automatic gear users is in the F1 games....specifically in the controller user group. Thanks all.

I use an Xbox one controller on PC and use automatic gears. I have raced a few times with manual gears and done reasonably well but find I'll need to remap the controller buttons in order for it to feel comfortable.

• Thanks 1

I started on automatic and the best thing I did was switch to manual gears and I'm much....much.....much......much faster. I'm still slow but yeah faster than I was before switching :classic_laugh: 

Edited by Theseus
  • Thanks 1

Manual is doable, when I play on a pad I have all assists off 🙂 

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1

Same here. PS4 controller, straight out of the first game, I was able to use manual gears. Gotta love everything when it gets realistic

• Thanks 1

I'm currently between a rock and a hard place regarding gear choice. I've been playing F1 game for about 5 months and have predominantly used auto and 'dabbled' with trying manual a few times. Usually lasts a week then I'm back on automatic. I've even tried a hybrid kind of gearing where I choose automatic gears and drive mainly auto but still have the option to change gear manually on occasions like downshifting an extra gear on some corners or short shifting up for extra traction. It kind of works......apart that doing this hybrid technique means that knowing what gear I'm in by counting up or down shifts is difficult.