F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Starting My Team in a post-patch F1 2020?

Dear,

I don't know if I really found a bug, but it's definitely something weird and annoying. I also found nowhere where I could report a bug. So I'm sending it this way.

On 20/10/2020, I wanted to try My Team for the first time. So I also did the 19/10/2020 update, in case you need to know which version I have.

So no matter what I choose as an engine or who I choose as a teammate or what options I choose at the first interview, my team was always in 4th last place at R&D already better then Williams, Haas and Alpha Romeo. Which I think is way too good to start in the first season. I have checked several youtubers and with them I saw that some of them also started as penultimate team or 3rd last team, but that is never the case with my team. Is this a bug or maybe just a visual bug in R&D? Because whether I chose the Mercedes engine or the Honda engine, the result remained the same. I find it annoying and unrealistic in every case that you start a brand new team and are already better than a few experienced teams.

I hope this is a bug and can be solved quickly. If this isn't a bug, could you maybe help me figure out how to make sure my team starts the first season as the worst or second worst team? For the rest I really love that game.

Would it be maybe possible to let me know if this is a bug or not, so that if it is a bug, I can wait for an update and if it is not a bug, I can start a My Team career anyway?

I've also seen in a video of a youtuber that if you change your engine during the season or at the and of a season in My Team, than the sound doesn't change with it. In case you didn't know this yet, I also mentioned it here.

Kind regards,

Hi @F1DriverBelgium

By Design on this. On your teams inception, you are asked questions by Will Buxton, and answers to these help mould your MyTeam's strengths and weaknesses, providing R&D updates to the car.

To start with the minimum performance possible, you must answer these questions in a certain way (being generic and not selecting certain areas for discussion) to be further down the grid. Mentioning durability or generic answers is key to this. Although you are 4th worse on the performance index, the difference between yourself, Haas and Alfa Romeo is marginal:

20201021161824_1.jpg

We've done this for a number of reasons:

•  This accommodates for the drop in performance of Haas and Alfa Romeo from the recent patch. Before this, you would have been second last. The MyTeam default car doesn't improve, just they have got worse.
  •  Designing it this way gives the player immediate competition, especially post-patch. You are now realistically fighting with 4 teams comes Melbourne. In a real-life situation, a totally new, sponsorless team and driver would be seconds off the pace (thinking HRT, Caterham and Marussia) of the established team and that wouldn't be too interesting for a player of the game.

On your second enquiry, this was patched and fixed a little while ago. 👍

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

Hi @F1DriverBelgium

By Design on this. On your teams inception, you are asked questions by Will Buxton, and answers to these help mould your MyTeam's strengths and weaknesses, providing R&D updates to the car.

To start with the minimum performance possible, you must answer these questions in a certain way (being generic and not selecting certain areas for discussion) to be further down the grid. Mentioning durability or generic answers is key to this. Although you are 4th worse on the performance index, the difference between yourself, Haas and Alfa Romeo is marginal:

20201021161824_1.jpg

We've done this for a number of reasons:

•  This accommodates for the drop in performance of Haas and Alfa Romeo from the recent patch. Before this, you would have been second last. The MyTeam default car doesn't improve, just they have got worse.
  •  Designing it this way gives the player immediate competition, especially post-patch. You are now realistically fighting with 4 teams comes Melbourne. In a real-life situation, a totally new, sponsorless team and driver would be seconds off the pace (thinking HRT, Caterham and Marussia) of the established team and that wouldn't be too interesting for a player of the game.

On your second enquiry, this was patched and fixed a little while ago. 👍

Hi BarryBL,

Thank you very much for your answer and explanation. Now I can confidently start my My Team career. It's a pity that you still can't start as penultimate, but the difference is indeed small and that's why I understand it. But is it normal that there is no difference between taking the Mercedes engine and the Honda engine? Even if I take the Mercedes engine I already have the 4th best engine with a very small difference on the best engine, is this also normal? Or is it that if I take the Mercedes engine, the other parts are less good and if I take the Honda engine, the aerodynamics, chassis and durability are better? So whatever I choose as engine and favorite section, my car will always be as good at the start of the 1st season? So basically I don't understand the point of choosing an engine because there is no difference, or am I wrong? (In my case I just chose the Mercedes engine for the sound, not the better engine).

Greetings,

F1DriverBelgium

The base power unit stats will improve your car on the Performance index, just not enough to jump Alpha Tauri, as there is quite a gap to the next car. You'll be closer to them though. Also, different power unit suppliers also upgrade at different times throughout the season, so selecting the right one is important.

• Like 1

So you mean that the engine of ferrari will get worse in the game because it doesn't do so well in real life? What do you suggest to take to make it harder for me? The Honda or the Renault? 

9 minutes ago, F1DriverBelgium said:

So you mean that the engine of ferrari will get worse in the game because it doesn't do so well in real life? What do you suggest to take to make it harder for me? The Honda or the Renault? 

It's all based on a save-by-save basis. If you really want a challenge, take Honda and answer all the Will Buxton questions either with no specific department answer or, failing that, on Durability. Also, having a team-mate with low experience will give you fewer R&D points, and make the developments to the car more difficult to come by.

• Like 2

Ok, thank you very much for helping me so fast! I appreciate it! I think I'm gonna go for Honda and Dorian Boccolacci if he's an option.

Edited by F1DriverBelgium

2 hours ago, BarryBL said:

In a real-life situation, a totally new, sponsorless team and driver would be seconds off the pace (thinking HRT, Caterham and Marussia) of the established team and that wouldn't be too interesting for a player of the game.

May I bite here? There are however, especially so on PC, a lot of players who really love a challenge, times. Hence we switch off all driver aids, we disable flashbacks, we enable realistic car damage (in Monaco lol) and the like. I for one would LOVE to see a challenge mode in "myteam", similar to some of these racing management games that provide you scenarios you have to solve. So if i started with the worst engine, not a good teammate, hardly any cash and difficult sponsor situation, I imagine making my first point would feel soooo utterly rewarding. Anyone with me?

• Agree 4

43 minutes ago, Schneehase said:

May I bite here? There are however, especially so on PC, a lot of players who really love a challenge, times. Hence we switch off all driver aids, we disable flashbacks, we enable realistic car damage (in Monaco lol) and the like. I for one would LOVE to see a challenge mode in "myteam", similar to some of these racing management games that provide you scenarios you have to solve. So if i started with the worst engine, not a good teammate, hardly any cash and difficult sponsor situation, I imagine making my first point would feel soooo utterly rewarding. Anyone with me?

I agree, this is why I always start as Williams in Driver Career.

• Agree 1

On 10/21/2020 at 7:36 PM, Schneehase said:

I agree. Would also love to have the chance of a really hard situation. As a new team in F1, no sponsors, struggle with money, unexperienced teammate and a second slower than the rest. :classic_blush:

Compared with less R&D points and money, results in slower development would give me he first points maybe in season 2. I would love it, but i understand there are a lot of players which won't go the hard route. This is the reason i'm asking for difficulty options since F1 2017.

• Agree 2

I startes second worst but worked on reliability more than anything and apart from the qualy practise program left it. In season one williams over took and then some its only cause latifi is useless that I had competition from another team 😂

I do however know if I full optimise then I will quickly catch up sounds like a simple easy. Medium. Hard setting (which would adjust your costs and resource points would fix this)