Improved Replay System for F1 2021? [with Mockup]

Hello everyone,

with F1 2021 being in development I felt like creating something I would want to use in-game. Unfortunately the current replay’s functionality is pretty barebones, but has lots of potential to be improved.

From the image below you can see I’ve added numerous features. My most wanted addition is to advance / go back a lap (LB / RB) and being able to see the current timestamp (HR:MIN:SEC) and lap. This solves the problem of scrolling through your replay for ten minutes when something interesting happened during the later stages of the race. The issue gets worse the longer your race is obviously.

It’s also great to see which driver is in focus (more important for players new to F1) and which camera is selected. Pressing the Right Stick (RS) activates slow motion, which is in the game already (that effect sometimes happens during highlights iirc). I’ve also revamped the “Replay Progress Bar”. It now features a divider between laps so it’s easy to distinguish when a lap has been completed. Probably too gimmicky, but it also shows SC / VSC phases to filter these out / in as well.

Something I’m not able to show but would like to see changed is deciding on what camera is being used. We all know that cool move you did, only for the game to decide an onboard camera facing the rear is the best option. More camera presets would be highly appreciated. On top of that I’d also like to see the introduction of the behind the steering wheel camera, featured in some of the trailers and marketing outlets. Personally, I think it has a pretty cool vibe to it and makes custom helmets stand out even more!

Thanks for reading through this suggestion and let me know what you think about it. If someone from the staff would redirect this to the developers that’d be great. I’d also gladly send over the source UI / UX mockup if someone at Codies would like to improve the replay system.

2021-suggestion-replay.png

Edited by Saintsnapalm
changed title
  • Thanks 1

All very good suggestions & I’d love to see it happen.

That said, I’ve got a theory as to why the replay system in this franchise is as barebones today as it was in 2010 - flashbacks (whether they’re used or not).

Have asked the question of the devs in the F1 chat section a few weeks back but didn’t get a single reply.... Make of that what you will, but in my mind the silence from “officialdom” on the matter when other more trivial things (like the coloured stripe on the merc’s halo) gets sent up the chain almost immediately suggests I may well be onto something because I sure as hell would be uncomfortable opening up a discussion about what I can’t or won’t be able to implement.

In any case, 🤞🏽 an overhaul of the replay system is on somebody’s to-do list because let’s face it, the current one is pox & has been for the best part of the last decade 🤦🏽‍♂️

• Agree 1

Sorry for replying more than a week later @Guga_Cyr.

I'm not too versed in what gets implemented based on user feedback to be fair, but I think you are right with flashbacks being the "culprit". Playing other Codemasters games like DiRT 2.0 and older titles, one thing that remains the same usually is the replay system. I imagine the flashback feature is quite tricky to implement / change from a developer point of view, so I hope it gets some special treatment as well to open up the possibilty of requests like this one here.

amen 🙌🏽

Given you’re also on PC, I suggest trying the camera mod to spice up the replays a lil bit more & if you wanna try a slightly different version with some tweaks by yours truly, lemme know. 

🏎💨💨💨

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Guga_Cyr said:

amen 🙌🏽

Given you’re also on PC, I suggest trying the camera mod to spice up the replays a lil bit more & if you wanna try a slightly different version with some tweaks by yours truly, lemme know. 

🏎💨💨💨

Didn't know a camera mod existed! The video on RD looks very nice, looking forward to look into this as well. If you want, feel free to send your tweaked version, I'm more than happy to try it out and see how it feels.