Jump to content Jump to content

Life can be short.....I'm going full Monty


Recommended Posts

OK. I've been playing F1 2019 and now F1 2020 for 5 months. Assists on.....assists off.....automatic gears on....have a go at manual gears....fail.....back to auto gears and assists. Drive races with all the assists that I can get my hands on.....have a decent race and finish wherever those parameters deem that I should finish. In retrospect a dull and shallow way do drive F1 cars.

So.......I've decided to stop shilly shallying. Play the game in its purest form. No assists.....manual gearbox....steep learning curve. F1 driving (for me) is going to get difficult....and messy.

But it's something that I believe that I need to do now. Now is the time to break away from assisted driving. 

Wish me luck everyone. I'm going to need it.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Scrogs said:

OK. I've been playing F1 2019 and now F1 2020 for 5 months. Assists on.....assists off.....automatic gears on....have a go at manual gears....fail.....back to auto gears and assists. Drive races with all the assists that I can get my hands on.....have a decent race and finish wherever those parameters deem that I should finish. In retrospect a dull and shallow way do drive F1 cars.

So.......I've decided to stop shilly shallying. Play the game in its purest form. No assists.....manual gearbox....steep learning curve. F1 driving (for me) is going to get difficult....and messy.

But it's something that I believe that I need to do now. Now is the time to break away from assisted driving. 

Wish me luck everyone. I'm going to need it.

It's totally worth it.

I almost dropped the game after test driving around in an AlphaTauri in Melbourne, kept spinning out and couldn't point the car to anywhere I wanted. Was deciding whether I should turn on the assists at one point but I persisted of not doing so.

Best decision ever.

The satisfaction that came from being able to handle these cars and drive competitively is absolutely addicting.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

@OP good luck - you will enjoy it man!

I have been doing this for quite a while now, starts can be a pain especially, driving in the rain is much worse though. Then again i like a challenge, and while i had won my 1st race in myteam mode had it stayed dry in Canada until the end - at least i made my first podium despite 5 or 6 laps of heavy rain towards the end of the race. Not too many experiences in other PC games beat that feeling of having achieved something. With your own skills rather than in "arcade mode". And dont get too frustrated with other peoples laptimes, in practice mode especially: there seems to go a lot of cheating and hacking going on, and it is a bit of a shame that this somewhat destroys the competitivity of what is supposed to be a MMO game.

Edited by Schneehase
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Good luck! It's totally worth it. 👍

I'm currently playing at 96% difficulty which is a level or two outside my comfort zone and I'm keeping it there the whole season - normally I would shift the difficulty to suit the track but this way, if I'm rubbish, then that's me being rubbish. :classic_biggrin: I remember pre-difficulty slider games and the saves were actually really engaging because of the struggle using a set difficulty that was just that bit too high for my skill.

Really having to fight for positions and every place gained is a victory (driving for Williams). On top of this, I'm using Elite controls, strict corner cutting, no flashbacks. If you're out, you're out. Heightens the drama.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting it right takes a bit of time. Though, if you have crappy pedals it will be extremely hard. I know this from experience. My old cheap wheel was horrible, braking without assist was more or less impossible with those pedals. So, got a new wheel and it's now much easier.

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Lakrits said:

Getting it right takes a bit of time. Though, if you have crappy pedals it will be extremely hard. I know this from experience. My old cheap wheel was horrible, braking without assist was more or less impossible with those pedals. So, got a new wheel and it's now much easier.

Oops......maybe I should have stated in my initial post that I'm using a controller and not a wheel/pedal set up. I'm hoping to get a wheel/pedal at some point in the future though.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for your support and advice folks. I've had a few hours this morning driving with all assists off and manual gearing. It's definitely doable. It's certainly more interesting and rewarding (when I take a corner well or even when I don't and I hear the revs sound higher and get a little oversteer.....it's a great feeling when I correct the oversteer by coming off the throttle and whacking in a quick gear upshift). 

It was carnage at first.....but I persevered and it was great to see the lap times coming down from around 20 seconds slower than my best assisted/automatic gear laptime.....then 15 seconds....then 10 seconds.....then down to 5 seconds slower than my best assisted laptime. Even had a green delta time one lap with two corners to go.....I got a bit over excited and left the track so my absolute best laptime was invalid. 😔

In fact it's the manual gears that are causing me the major problem. I can't remember what gear I'm in when I enter a corner and I'm probably not in the optimal gear for some (well, most) corners. And sometimes I can't brake and downshift at the same time. 

Anyway........I'm sticking with no assists and manual gearing. It's a whole different gaming experience now.......but it's the most fun that I've had with my vest on in a long time!  😉

Edited by Scrogs
Correct typos
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Scrogs said:

Oops......maybe I should have stated in my initial post that I'm using a controller and not a wheel/pedal set up. I'm hoping to get a wheel/pedal at some point in the future though.

I use a controller too. I have a wheel setup but I don't have the room or the energy to use it at the moment. It's nice to just lounge in a chair and get on with the game. :classic_happy:

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 10 months later...

UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE UPDATE

Sorry to report that my initial post that contained so much hope, determination and positivity soon became as dead as a Dodo as I stopped playing the game completely within a month of posting. 

I went over to playing other (mainly) car and motorbike games which I've enjoyed but looking through my games today and seeing F1 2020 had me thinking of starting the whole F1 thing again.

So then.......I'll be behind the wheel again......all assists on...and seeing you all in my rear view mirrors as you all lap me and looking out for that lovely coloured blue flag that someone waves at me at some point in the race.

I might be a better driver this time round!!

 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...