Jump to content Jump to content

f1 2021 finally getting VR???

So we have been waiting for so many years for VR to come to the F1 title but year after year been told to go blow. I wonder if it is going to happen this year's title F! 2021.

Thoughts? I sure hope so. I as a lot of you have been patient as hell.

I wish they would take us seriously but it seems our pleas and votes every year fall on def ears. Maybe there is no VR players on the Codemasters team?

EITHER WAY, MOST OF US WANT VR TO COME TO THE F1 TITLE!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I think the problem with this is that VR for more than 15 minutes isn't very good for your body. A 50% race takes about an hour, and 1 hour > 15 minutes duh. I know you can just pause it, but coming from personal experience, its hard for me to pause in the middle of a race. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/15/2020 at 7:49 PM, TheFIDude said:

I think the problem with this is that VR for more than 15 minutes isn't very good for your body.

Who says?  I've been playing VR for hours every day ever since Oculus DK1.

There are people who get more motion sickness but if you are one of them, I sure hope you didn't buy a VR headset.  If you did, then just don't race in VR.  But don't speak for others who have no problem with it.

On 11/16/2020 at 1:49 AM, TheFIDude said:

I think the problem with this is that VR for more than 15 minutes isn't very good for your body. A 50% race takes about an hour, and 1 hour > 15 minutes duh. I know you can just pause it, but coming from personal experience, its hard for me to pause in the middle of a race. 

I am the only one of our online F1 2020 league who drives in VR with "the" third-party tool. It is a sim league with usual 3-part qualifying and a 100% race directly afterwards. No problems, even if I drive for more than 120 minutes without break in VR. But I wait so badly for native VR support because the performance will be so much better without third-party tools in-between.

You quickly get used to VR. I started with flight simulators (nearly no G-forces). Then soon racers have been no problem any more. Once you try VR, you will never go back to flat monitors again.

So please Codemasters or take 2, give us the VR support for F1 2021 ;)

• 3 months later...

Hey Guys, i love since 2016 Formula 1. But i think the VR support is the next step of Codemasters. So I’m very happy, that the Vr support will be included this year with F1 2021. So there is a big wish from each of us. Thank you 😊 

On 10/25/2020 at 2:26 PM, Sodacandan said:

EITHER WAY, MOST OF US WANT VR TO COME TO THE F1 TITLE!!!

I strongly suspect this isn't true, which is one reason this hasn't been a high priority for Codemasters. This is not to say it wouldn't be a welcome additional option for players to have.

Edit: I missed this was an old thread that had been bumped!

Edited by Ultra3142
  • 4 weeks later...
On 3/21/2021 at 6:38 AM, Ultra3142 said:

I strongly suspect this isn't true, which is one reason this hasn't been a high priority for Codemasters. This is not to say it wouldn't be a welcome additional option for players to have.

Edit: I missed this was an old thread that had been bumped!

It has not been a high priority because the F1 esports doesn't use it.  There is high demand, but if the company you get the licence from doesn't want it then you wouldn't do it.

Edited by Herro391
2 hours ago, Herro391 said:

It has not been a high priority because the F1 esports doesn't use it.  There is high demand, but if the company you get the licence from doesn't want it then you wouldn't do it.

Not trying to be awkward but what are you basing your 'high demand' comment on? How many new sales it may bring is likely to be the deciding factor, coupled with resources needed to add it and how easy it is to do well. 

Edited by Ultra3142

Taking the time to add VR will only increase sales.... It would make more than enough back on VR sales to recoup the cost of adding it.. leaving it out just doesn't make sense anymore. ps4, ps5, pc and even possibly stand alone vr entrances. it's a huge and growing market that both EA and Codmasters need to adopt more widely.

One can only hope that we will soon see an official F1 game in VR. Until then I'll stick with my other VR titles.

Edited by Tanshin
50 minutes ago, Tanshin said:

It would make more than enough back on VR sales to recoup the cost of adding it..

Do you have some personal insight that makes you confident of this?

(No mention of VR in todays new game announcement I'm afraid.)

• Agree 1

https://medium.com/@virtualrealityoncloud/virtual-reality-application-development-cost-2019-7a203ba56230#:~:text=Project Documentation Virtual Reality Application,hour after the warranty period.

By the math of the top end of cost at 300k USD to add VR, they would need to sell only 5,000 units to pay the cost. (games like PC2 sold over 2M copies) I'm dumbing it way down, but should at least give a small amount of insight.

It would probably cost far less as VR is not new to Codemasters and they have multiple titles with it to pull development information. There was a time when tobiieye and track IR were not in the f1 series, however, once added it was able to move over to every title since.

Edited by Tanshin
1 hour ago, Tanshin said:

https://medium.com/@virtualrealityoncloud/virtual-reality-application-development-cost-2019-7a203ba56230#:~:text=Project Documentation Virtual Reality Application,hour after the warranty period.

By the math of the top end of cost at 300k USD to add VR, they would need to sell only 5,000 units to pay the cost. (games like PC2 sold over 2M copies) I'm dumbing it way down, but should at least give a small amount of insight.

It would probably cost far less as VR is not new to Codemasters and they have multiple titles with it to pull development information. There was a time when tobiieye and track IR were not in the f1 series, however, once added it was able to move over to every title since.

That's an interesting link but I'm not sure it can be applied to modifying a video game?

1 hour ago, Ultra3142 said:

That's an interesting link but I'm not sure it can be applied to modifying a video game?

There is a lot to take into account and the link I provided gives rough numbers. Adding VR is very different from making with VR in mind. However most racing titles add VR but do not develop with VR in mind. At any rate, adding would be the preferred option for now until VR really takes over the gaming market. It's really the next evolution.

At this point it's much alike to adding track ir or tobiieye support. much of the work is done just adding the SDK and toggle option in the settings (or in document/ steam toggle) The VR would only need to happen in car and not at the menus. 

It's more likely the case that CM views their F1 series as a mainline AAA title where they prefer not to add experimental functionality and would rather spend the time to fully integrate, however this would be way more time consuming and probably not worth the time in previous titles. VR is one of the fastest growing markets and passing up opportunities to place the ground work to make future entries less of a hassle is something that should be overlooked. There are over 170 million unique VR users worldwide and more being added every day, and with the backwards compatibility that VR headsets offer it's a no brainer. At some point VR will be a must but for now 3rd parties will get us VR support if we don't get it first party, native support is always best. The engine used to make F1 2020 (Ego Engine) was also used to make Dirt Rally 2.0 which has VR support, so the ground work for F1 2021 has already been done. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ego_(game_engine)

EDIT: I would also like to note that some of the largest game engines (Unreal, Unity, Lumberyard, Cryengine, Madness and Ego (CM Owned)) now have native VR support and the list of engines is growing.

Here are some VR stats: 

https://www.viar360.com/virtual-reality-market-size-2018/

https://techjury.net/blog/virtual-reality-statistics/#gref

https://www.statista.com/topics/2532/virtual-reality-vr/

https://www.oberlo.com/blog/virtual-reality-statistics

Failed petition for VR in F1 2019:

https://www.change.org/p/frank-sagnier-vr-for-codemasters-f1-2019-game-pc-ps4-etc

Here are some videos of people playing F1 2020 in VR:

Edited by Tanshin
  • Like 1
35 minutes ago, Tanshin said:

...until VR really takes over the gaming market. It's really the next evolution.

I can't see this happening myself, due to the huge number of people that suffer from motion sickness. I do obviously see the appeal for those that don't, although the typically lower image quality I still think is an issue to be overcome.

(I've had a quick try of a PSVR but I don't think it was really compatible with my glasses and really didn't work well for me. I appreciate this won't be a common issue though.)

• Like 1

I can't see this happening myself, due to the huge number of people that suffer from motion sickness. I do obviously see the appeal for those that don't, although the typically lower image quality I still think is an issue to be overcome.

(I've had a quick try of a PSVR but I don't think it was really compatible with my glasses and really didn't work well for me. I appreciate this won't be a common issue though.)

I think if you would try a more modern headset, that you would be surprised at how far the displays have come along. The Quest 2 now comes with a glasses spacer included (https://uploadvr.com/how-to-wear-glasses-vr-oculus-quest-2-headsets/) and the display is not the best (TN) but its very very good over older sets.

The Oculus Rift and PSVR headset have a 1080p display with  960 × 1080 per eye : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PlayStation_VR#:~:text=The PlayStation VR has a,a 3.5mm headphone jack.

HTC Vive 1080x1200 per eye

Quest 1440x1600 per eye

Quest 2 1832x1920 per eye

Valve Index 1440x1600 per eye

Vive Pro 1440x1600 per eye

Vive Cosmos 1440x1700 per eye

HP Reverb G2 2160x2160 per eye

The PSVR 2 is bound to have a much higher resolution and closer to that of the Quest 2 or Reverb G2, plus have the ps5's power to get at those games.

There are many more headsets. and the battle against motion sickness is still there but getting better all the time. The psvr is not the best headset to try if you are prone to motion sickness. I always recommend something simple like BeatSaber on a Quest or Quest 2 to get your feet wet in VR. If you want to play on a PC you need a pretty fast system to combat motion sickness. 

To get to your thoughts on VR not taking over the gaming market; I used to say the same thing about the mobile games market. Now it accounts for more than 51% of the total gaming market revenue with console and pc at 25% and 24% as of 2018. https://londonlovesbusiness.com/the-future-of-gaming-mobile-vs-console/#:~:text=In 2018%2C mobile gaming took,be worth %24106 billion worldwide. VR is on track to make it in upwards of 30+% growth by or before 2027 https://www.grandviewresearch.com/industry-analysis/virtual-reality-in-gaming-market#:~:text=Report Overview,take gamers into their screens. Here is another article where 73% of Americans own a console (any generation) and 29% own VR. https://www.washingtonpost.com/video-games/2021/02/04/virtual-reality-future-games/  It is growing faster than anyone thought.

Edited by Tanshin
  • 4 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 11:04 PM, Ultra3142 said:

I own a Rift CV1, a Rift S, and recently purchased a Quest 2. So I have seen the screens go from reletivly low resolution in the CV1 and increase over time to what the Quest 2 is using. And the difference is actually night and day. The PSVR is even lower res than the Rift CV1 at a resolution of 960 × 1080 per eye. The Rift CV1 is actually at 1080x1200 per eye., the rift S is 1280 × 1440, and the Quest 2 is at 1,832 × 1,920. That makes a big difference visual quality. In my Quest 2 I am seeing a comparable image in the display (if not better) than my Acer Predator X34p 34in 3440x1440p ultrawide.

With regards to the glasses thing, you can buy prescription lens inserts. With Oculus especially, you can buy priscription lens inserts direct through their website -
https://www.oculus.com/accessories/virtuclear-lens-inserts/

A lot of people find they dont always have to wear glasses in VR either. I have never worn my glasses while in VR, never felt it was needed. But for those that do need to still wear their glasses, the above linked option is a good way around it.

The quest 2, in my opinion, is the best VR headset available. There are options with higher resolution screens still (HP reverb and the upcoming Vive Pro 2), but you get more bang for your buck with the Quest 2. Its fully standalone, so you can use it anywhere safe without wires. You can hook it up to Oculus Link with a compatible USB 3 compliant link cable and run PCVR, or even use Oculus Air Link to play PCVR wirelessly (which works amazingly well). The touch controllers are considered the best VR controllers currently on the market, with the Valve Index controllers been considured the most advanced (and most likely to break). Its also the most popular PCVR compatible headset currently in the Steam hardware survey.

Outside of all that stuff however, the Ego Engine has had VR inplace since Dirt Rally 1. The problem Codemasters has, is that each department that makes is is reletivly cut off from one another in terms of actual engine development. So while Dirt Rally and Dirt Rally 2 and their specific version of the EGO engine has VR support. I hazard a guess that the F1 side of Codemasters doesnt have that particular aspect supported in the engine. On top of this, Codemasters own Slightly Mad Studios now, which means they own the Madness Engine. And that game engine has both OculusVR and OpenVR baked into its very core. And the Madness engine has some of the best automative VR around. So there are solutions that Codemasters have to hand to make the jump to VR in most of their titles, including F1.

From what I understand, Codemasters just dont see VR as a valuble feature. But when you consider that even EA have now jumped into the VR realm (medal of honour VR and Star Wrs Squadrons), and Activision are making and aquiring VR specific patents. I get the feeling things are about to change in the next years. Those 2 never do anything unless it benifits their shareholders. And since EA now own Codemasters. Its a resonable assumption that more and more titles will feature VR going forward.

• Like 2

An old topic yet something that will always return.
I personally would love to have VR added to the game, I have a HTC Vive Cosmos Elite with base stations and I mainly use it to play Assetto Corsa.

I understand that it hasn't been added over the years and who knows when it will be added as not everyone has a VR headset and it's most certainly not the most affordable thing to get.
However regardless of what the price may be of a VR headset, I think the move should be made to add it to the game to boost VR popularity.

VR is strongest not in shooters, fighting games, dancing games or anything... no, it's the strongest in racing games as you don't walk around, you sit still and drive, whether it'd be a truck, a Golf, racing car or a Formula 1 car.
Just imagine, driving a Formula 1 car in the cockpit and being able to look around in VR, who wouldn't want that?

The main issue with VR however is motion sickness, or getting a headache, this does not apply to everyone and I am lucky to be able to play in VR for an extended period of time.

On 5/14/2021 at 12:02 PM, Ialyrn said:

With regards to the glasses thing, you can buy prescription lens inserts. With Oculus especially, you can buy priscription lens inserts direct through their website - https://www.oculus.com/accessories/virtuclear-lens-inserts/

Its interesting to see that this is an option for many, although having a quick look my own prescription wouldn't appear to be available (as I need prisms). 

Its interesting to see that this is an option for many, although having a quick look my own prescription wouldn't appear to be available (as I need prisms). 

Ah, you have a lazy eye?
My left eye used to be lazy when I was younger, so I had prisms in my lenses as well; as well as having to do constant eye exercises.

Just now, Ialyrn said:

Ah, you have a lazy eye?
My left eye used to be lazy when I was younger, so I had prisms in my lenses as well; as well as having to do constant eye exercises.

I don't think I'm quite the same, and it's more that I get double-vision, which I think means where each eye looks doesn't quite sync up as it should. I've known people who have had prisms as more of a temporary measure to try to fix something like you describe but for me it's been a permanent thing. Unless that just means my eyes are really lazy!

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2021 at 5:04 PM, Ultra3142 said:

PSVR is a very poor example of what VR is supposed to be imho. Ive tried it and it wouldn’t even begin to represent the VR being used today. Granted it was interesting when it came out but gimmicky. PSVR needed a lot of work from what I had seen although it did show the possibility of the tech and other companies took it and ran with it and still are. Graphics are very hood these days especially with a good system. With tech now a days They are getting better every time you turn around. When You play with settings the “motion sickness “ thing you hear about a lot goes to the wayside for the most part and what little is there if any goes away completely as soon as you get a few laps in and focus on driving then it’s Nonexistent and just a forethought from then on. Get a good setup and you would be hard pressed to go race another way. I’m SURE AS RAIN there are people out there that will say “I’ve tried the best and........” but I find it hard to believe they had the chance to play with settings to get it perfect for them on someone else’s system because it’s a lot of tinkering and when you got it perfect you don’t want them played with. If it was on their system I doubt they gave it the time needed to set it up or didn’t upgrade to the equipment needed to run it like they want. This is just my thoughts on the whole debate. Nothing disrespectful is intended with my comments whatsoever if they were taken that way, I apologize whole heartedly 

It will be interesting to see how PSVR2 pans out but before then the existing PSVR is the only option for PlayStation players, which I suspect is probably where the largest F1 player base is. I'm not sure is there is a VR option on XBOX?