F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Always Slowest Car on Straights

Hello Dears,

I am having issue with my speed on straights with Haas in Career Mode. Even if the car is the 3rd by bottom, why even Williams are able to overtake me very easily on straights? I dont think it is related with DRS. My car always stuck on 260-270 km/h despite sometimes(especially in qualilifying) i can do 320-330 km/h? It is reallt frustrating everybody can pass me increadibly easily.. Before patch 1.12 i hadnt issue like that after 5-6 races. 

The Ferrari engine got a nerf, so thats probably effecting you. Other standard answers: Engine modes, ERS/Overtake, Front/Rear wing settings, ride height settings, tyre pressures.

26 minutes ago, doyidoyi said:

Hello Dears,

I am having issue with my speed on straights with Haas in Career Mode. Even if the car is the 3rd by bottom, why even Williams are able to overtake me very easily on straights? I dont think it is related with DRS. My car always stuck on 260-270 km/h despite sometimes(especially in qualilifying) i can do 320-330 km/h? It is reallt frustrating everybody can pass me increadibly easily.. Before patch 1.12 i hadnt issue like that after 5-6 races. 

In qualifying the car is run at MAX fuel flow.

Ferrari engine had received a nerf after 1.12 patch, they're now slightly worse than Renault's PU if you don't count the 4 manufacturer upgrades at the start (but will catch back up after upgrades). I'm not sure what the Haas R&D trees look like, but try to focus on reducing drag because if I remember correctly, Haas had the 3rd highest drag in the field (Williams 1st, post patched Ferrari 2nd).

18 minutes ago, DRT-Apophis said:

In qualifying the car is run at MAX fuel flow.

Ferrari engine had received a nerf after 1.12 patch, they're now slightly worse than Renault's PU if you don't count the 4 manufacturer upgrades at the start (but will catch back up after upgrades). I'm not sure what the Haas R&D trees look like, but try to focus on reducing drag because if I remember correctly, Haas had the 3rd highest drag in the field (Williams 1st, post patched Ferrari 2nd).

If williams is 1st on drag, also they can overtake easily.

36 minutes ago, dshepsman said:

The Ferrari engine got a nerf, so thats probably effecting you. Other standard answers: Engine modes, ERS/Overtake, Front/Rear wing settings, ride height settings, tyre pressures.

Also Alfa Romeo can pass easily. like something pulling the car back. Maybe some setting but i dont know, i lost the motivation. In every straight everbody can overtake like i have broken fron wing. 

2 minutes ago, doyidoyi said:

Also Alfa Romeo can pass easily. like something pulling the car back. Maybe some setting but i dont know, i lost the motivation. In every straight everbody can overtake like i have broken fron wing. 

In theory, a broken front wing might make you quicker in a straight line as there's less downforce.... (sorry, im being pedantic)

But it could be a number of things. What track are you seeing this on? It might be your setup. High wings = lower top speed. Low tyre pressure = less top speed. Higher ride height = lower top speed.

Also - how are you exiting the previous corner? A lot of people dont realise how much this can make a difference. If you the car behind you exits the corner 5kph faster than you, then they will catch/pass you quicker down the straight. Add in the slipstream effect, which you might not be getting benefit from. 

One more thing, what AI setting do you have? Higher AI would have quicker laps times as well

12 minutes ago, doyidoyi said:

If williams is 1st on drag, also they can overtake easily.

How's the wear rate of your ICE and turbo?

Did you increase your fuel-flow and used the overtake button down the straight? If so, were you running out of ERS and engine is overheating by using them too much? There's also a limit of how much ERS you could deploy in a lap. 

What about your car setting? Were you running a bit too much downforce or toe-angle? May be ride-height is too high?

btw, Williams (& RP/Merc) has the most powerful engine from the start post patch, even if they have the highest drag, they can still accelerate and reach their top speed much faster than you reach yours. 

Edited by DRT-Apophis

I don't think it's setup related, maybe a high ICE wear could cause some problems. But not getting faster than 270km/h on straights, where aou hit 320km/h in qualifying seems more like a controller issue. I would first check if the controller/throttle pedal reaches 100% in the settings. Maybe i would try to delete the steering setting and would make a new one from scratch. Maybe it helps.

To loose 50km/h on straight it can't be not using overtake or rear wing at 7 instead of 4.

9 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

I don't think it's setup related, maybe a high ICE wear could cause some problems. But not getting faster than 270km/h on straights, where aou hit 320km/h in qualifying seems more like a controller issue. I would first check if the controller/throttle pedal reaches 100% in the settings. Maybe i would try to delete the steering setting and would make a new one from scratch. Maybe it helps.

To loose 50km/h on straight it can't be not using overtake or rear wing at 7 instead of 4.

270km/h is indeed excessively low.

From my experience, when I first started the game without knowing all the basic mechanics, my Honda PU at one point could barely reach a painful 295km/h down the straight on Hanoi, but that was still much higher than 270. 

I've noticed this issue quite a bit. I think the AI starts with 4/4 wings so if you're above that then they're likely to be faster on the straights. I don't think they're as affected as badly by the 'dirty air' effect that the player is too which makes it seem off because they can be right behind you coming out of the corners and onto the straights. At Vietnam on in my Haas career (pre-patch) I got absolutely destroyed on the straights when I didn't make a setup change. It was so obviously broken somewhere.

23 minutes ago, SASColfer said:

I've noticed this issue quite a bit. I think the AI starts with 4/4 wings so if you're above that then they're likely to be faster on the straights. I don't think they're as affected as badly by the 'dirty air' effect that the player is too which makes it seem off because they can be right behind you coming out of the corners and onto the straights. At Vietnam on in my Haas career (pre-patch) I got absolutely destroyed on the straights when I didn't make a setup change. It was so obviously broken somewhere.

The only track where I had a very noticeable disadvantage on straight line speed is Singapore, because I ran 10-11 on that track. But I think you're correct, AI seems to just stick with the same mid-low downforce setup across all tracks and so they look to be always faster down the straight unless you do the same.

1 hour ago, SASColfer said:

Thanks, it is really sucks your motivation for the game. So what do you suggest? 

52 minutes ago, doyidoyi said:

Thanks, it is really sucks your motivation for the game. So what do you suggest? 

Think of it as playing the Mclaren Honda simulator 😬, where you absolutely struggle but keep pushing to try to develop the car to catch others. The thing is, in the game you could actually match other's pace if you put enough effort into it, unlike in real life where it's just a hole that you'll never know how deep it is.

The only stat that has actual significant difference between each team when maxed out is Aero, the rest are either almost or absolutely identical.

Edited by DRT-Apophis

I would suggest checking the wear on your engine components.

I started a practice session at Azerbaijan with my ICE wear at 97%.  I ran that puppy right to 100% because I wanted to see what the game would do when it hit 100.   Sure enough it blew up; although the game acted as if I crashed.   However, that being said on the long front straight at Azerbaijan I struggled to even pass 280km/hr due to the wear on the engine.   If you look behind your car and see a trail of smoke puffs, you likely have identified your issue with worn components.   Just something to think about anyways.

Short of that being the issue, I'm not really sure what to tell you.  I've never noticed that much difference in speed on the straights.  I know the AI cars seem to always be faster even in my one My Team mode where my r&D is maxed out, I still get passed on the straights.  Maybe it's setup related, but I do feel like the AI just has more straightline speed in general, but I've never seen that wide of a gap like you're describing.

Are you using a controller? is your R2 trigger going reaching 100%?

6 hours ago, Furbii said:

Are you using a controller? is your R2 trigger going reaching 100%?

Yeah, i am. How do i check the trigger?

8 hours ago, petro1319 said:

I would suggest checking the wear on your engine components.

I started a practice session at Azerbaijan with my ICE wear at 97%.  I ran that puppy right to 100% because I wanted to see what the game would do when it hit 100.   Sure enough it blew up; although the game acted as if I crashed.   However, that being said on the long front straight at Azerbaijan I struggled to even pass 280km/hr due to the wear on the engine.   If you look behind your car and see a trail of smoke puffs, you likely have identified your issue with worn components.   Just something to think about anyways.

Short of that being the issue, I'm not really sure what to tell you.  I've never noticed that much difference in speed on the straights.  I know the AI cars seem to always be faster even in my one My Team mode where my r&D is maxed out, I still get passed on the straights.  Maybe it's setup related, but I do feel like the AI just has more straightline speed in general, but I've never seen that wide of a gap like you're describing.

Even with overall wear is around 30-35 percent, i remember that i have that issue. Anyway maybe it is a setting issue as you said.

I've found I'm really slow on the straights as well. I use the R2 trigger for acceleration, I read somewhere it may not be giving full acceleration. How do I calibrate it or make sure it's giving me full power?

i don`t know if it helps, for me it was hardware related - I use the Nacon Rev Pro 2 - I sometimes had trouble on the straights as well that I couldnt reach the max, or that at one point the car stopped accelerating. The problem was the deadzone from the L2 button, the brake. It was set to zero, so very sensitive - I adjusted it a bit higher and the problem was gone. So maybe this helps the one or the other, it had nothing to do with the game.

4 hours ago, doyidoyi said:

Even with overall wear is around 30-35 percent, i remember that i have that issue. Anyway maybe it is a setting issue as you said.

Dont just look at overall wear though, look at each component individually.  If your ICE itself, or TC, or MGUH are high, but others are low it's going to bring that overall wear percentage down.  So look at each individual component because even one being substantially high can slow you down.

6 hours ago, doyidoyi said:

when playing, or in the menu where you calibrate the buttons you can check.

when playing, below the speed there is a red and a green bar that is your L2 and R2. Try accelerating and see if the green bar gets to 100% 

On 10/26/2020 at 12:10 PM, doyidoyi said:

Hello Dears,

Well mate check some features.. check your current wear values in Engine Components 1st.. sorry before that check your sliders when you press throttle and Brake in the Controllers main menu calibration settings.. after check the Engine wear values and finally when setting up your Car don't put less than 3 ride height in front and rear..I think that your issue are in the ride height settings

On 10/26/2020 at 4:18 PM, doyidoyi said:

Quite simply lowering your wing settings to match. I generally always lower by a level at least just to keep pace. Generally as your car gets better in career you notice it less.