F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

How do you break your limits?

Dear all,

I’ve been racing since F1 2016, either solo or league racing. 
When I prepare a race I do really put a great effort (days I’m which I focus on learning driving lines, days in which I focus on race pace, days in which I focus on Q times). However, I can’t seem to be at the level of the top drivers of the league I race (some are good, but the rest of us are quite average). I can’t seem to find that second that divides me from getting that damn podium or a race win.

I am beginning to think that’s it - that’s my level, and I will have to be content with what I can do. I’m ready to accept that. I am, as a matter of fact, desperate.

But is there, and that’s what I came here to ask you, is there something that prevented  your driving (and your laptimes) from improving that you eventually found out? What was your deal breaker? The extra weight you were carrying?

I race on a fanatec csl is elite, LC brake, playseat evolution.

Thanks to those who will stop by to laugh at me (and rightly so) or help.

Rob

Edited by marvinandroid85

6 hours ago, marvinandroid85 said:

Dear all,

I’ve been racing since F1 2016, either solo or league racing. 
When I prepare a race I do really put a great effort (days I’m which I focus on learning driving lines, days in which I focus on race pace, days in which I focus on Q times). However, I can’t seem to be at the level of the top drivers of the league I race (some are good, but the rest of us are quite average). I can’t seem to find that second that divides me from getting that damn podium or a race win.

I am beginning to think that’s it - that’s my level, and I will have to be content with what I can do. I’m ready to accept that. I am, as a matter of fact, desperate.

But is there, and that’s what I came here to ask you, is there something that prevented  your driving (and your laptimes) from improving that you eventually found out? What was your deal breaker? The extra weight you were carrying?

I race on a fanatec csl is elite, LC brake, playseat evolution.

Thanks to those who will stop by to laugh at me (and rightly so) or help.

Rob

Well mate.. let's go for parts. 1st let me told you you have an amazing equipment for Racing Sims/ games.. that's a good start.. some or a lot of us myself included we haven't a system like yours.. 2nd you maybe i recommend you to start looking and trying other approaches.. like for example.. you can start doing a little tweaking minimum in your Car Setups and doing a lot of Testing Testing and Testing.. Testing and Practice its the key of everything in our live.. 3rd try tweaking and fining your wheel to optimal performance and settings.. an amazing Force Feedback config makes an huge difference.. 4th Studying your opponents Driving style.. do some recorded clips and loose some Time studying them.. 5th Invest in YouTube others vids and from the"Pros" believe in me that will allow you to learn or adapt your Driving style or your Car Setups aswell.. 6th Check your Camera Settings and your FOV.. setting an excellent FOV you can easily increase your lap Times in 0.5 sec or more in some cases..

So I hope that helps 😉

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

Well mate.. let's go for parts. 1st let me told you you have an amazing equipment for Racing Sims/ games.. that's a good start.. some or a lot of us myself included we haven't a system like yours.. 2nd you maybe i recommend you to start looking and trying other approaches.. like for example.. you can start doing a little tweaking minimum in your Car Setups and doing a lot of Testing Testing and Testing.. Testing and Practice its the key of everything in our live.. 3rd try tweaking and fining your wheel to optimal performance and settings.. an amazing Force Feedback config makes an huge difference.. 4th Studying your opponents Driving style.. do some recorded clips and loose some Time studying them.. 5th Invest in YouTube others vids and from the"Pros" believe in me that will allow you to learn or adapt your Driving style or your Car Setups aswell.. 6th Check your Camera Settings and your FOV.. setting an excellent FOV you can easily increase your lap Times in 0.5 sec or more in some cases..

So I hope that helps 😉

Thanks for your answer Carlos.

I've tried them all - except fine tuning with the setup. I've always taken from granted that yes, I can improve a bit with a well-suited setup, but not that 1,5-2 seconds that divide me from the best.

What I was curious to know and the information I was trying to gather is: what was the thing that helped you the most in improving your racing?

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, marvinandroid85 said:

Thanks for your answer Carlos.

I've tried them all - except fine tuning with the setup. I've always taken from granted that yes, I can improve a bit with a well-suited setup, but not that 1,5-2 seconds that divide me from the best.

What I was curious to know and the information I was trying to gather is: what was the thing that helped you the most in improving your racing?

I get it mate.. well to be honest with you in my case What's was the key for my improvement in global ways was the improvement and training my consistency.. I done a lot of training and training and training.. i learn to be calm when Racing.. not trying to recover when I lost a position in track but I learned to make pressure to the opponent and wait for my opportunity to pass him or she again.. I done some races in real world in an Formula Renault Car and I had learned a lot.. I was able to create a similar real FOV and that was an big improvement for my Racing when gamming.. but you can t compare both things because they are so much different.. a game or a Sim its still a game or a Sim.. the real world is the real world.. so answering at your question I think that if you can improve your consistency first then your speed and ability will arrive after but for that you need to spend a lot of time training and tweaking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

I get it mate.. well to be honest with you in my case What's was the key for my improvement in global ways was the improvement and training my consistency.. I done a lot of training and training and training.. i learn to be calm when Racing.. not trying to recover when I lost a position in track but I learned to make pressure to the opponent and wait for my opportunity to pass him or she again.. I done some races in real world in an Formula Renault Car and I had learned a lot.. I was able to create a similar real FOV and that was an big improvement for my Racing when gamming.. but you can t compare both things because they are so much different.. a game or a Sim its still a game or a Sim.. the real world is the real world.. so answering at your question I think that if you can improve your consistency first then your speed and ability will arrive after but for that you need to spend a lot of time training and tweaking

Thank you mate. I'll try and work on my consistency and calmness!

• Like 1

I've found that commiting to 10-20 laps in time trial in wet conditions on each circuit helps. But I guess it depends on your skills. It's going to be more effective if you're not that skilled.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, GnrDreagon said:

I've found that commiting to 10-20 laps in time trial in wet conditions on each circuit helps. But I guess it depends on your skills. It's going to be more effective if you're not that skilled.

I agree mate for one side and desagree a little for another.. if you train in a wet you only improves in wet weather.. it's good for knowing differences in Car Setup and his behaviour on the wet and see the difference between them.. that's good ok.. but for improving when Racing only trying a lot of different settings and different Racing lines different tweaking in braking zones and how and when.. are much more crucial than the wet weather training but helps yes

The first thing is to know if you are competing on equal terms with the rest in the aid aspect, a good pilot with aid will always make time for a good pilot without aid. How can this be seen? It's simple, in the aerodynamics, while a rider without aids needs high aerodynamics to generate traction, a rider with aids can have extremely low downforce, one notices this on the straights of each circuit, in average corners And the same thing happens at high speed, the only advantage of running without help is the slow exit of the curve where when accelerating you can see the difference with people who use aids. Another aspect where this difference is exaggerated is using the ABS, it can give you more than 1 second per lap. The best thing is to measure yourself in the same conditions with the rest of the pilots to be sure of where you are and how far you can go.

I forgot, another aspect to have more reliability in the times is that the strict penalty system is activated since if you run in a normal system the game gives you the option of cutting all the curves without receiving notice and being able to lower that time much, it can even be lowered up to 2 or 3 seconds per lap.

11 hours ago, CarlosSantos87 said:

I agree mate for one side and desagree a little for another.. if you train in a wet you only improves in wet weather.. it's good for knowing differences in Car Setup and his behaviour on the wet and see the difference between them.. that's good ok.. but for improving when Racing only trying a lot of different settings and different Racing lines different tweaking in braking zones and how and when.. are much more crucial than the wet weather training but helps yes

As I said, it depends on what your base level is. The first time I tried this after doing 10 laps on each circuit I went from close racing against 75 AI to being a close match to them at 85 AI. But driving in the wet means more slippery conditions so you need to be a bit more careful if you want to go fast. Once you get confident controling the slippery car in the wet conditions it's easy to transfer these skills to dry conditions, where you need to be far less careful so you can drive more on the limit without making mistakes you used to make.

• Like 1

The one skill that has helped the most in lowering my lap times? Learning how to trail brake. It might be obvious to the superstars out there but for an average guy like me it made a huge difference. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Lurtz said:

The one skill that has helped the most in lowering my lap times? Learning how to trail brake. It might be obvious to the superstars out there but for an average guy like me it made a huge difference. 

Yes, trail braking is the key to become faster. If you're not used to it, it's very difficult to change your driving style. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Lurtz said:

Can you explain what is it?

2 hours ago, Gonzalitocasla said:

Trail Braking is an Method of Braking that Drivers use in Real World Racing aswell.. are beeing the biggest point in the last few years in Racing Sims too.. explanation about Trail Braking..

Is when you hit the Brake Pedal Very Hard in the 1st phase of Braking and after you gradually starts reducing the input force on it.. using that Method you can Brake a little later and you avoid the Tyres Lockups

On 10/30/2020 at 6:05 PM, Gonzalitocasla said:

When I didn't know better my idea of going round a (for example) 90 degree corner (Turn 1 at Baku is an excellent example) was to brake as late as I could until the car was at a speed to get round the corner at which point I would take my foot off the brake and steer round the corner. The problem with this is that all the downward force (and therefore grip) that heavy braking generates on the front tyres is lost so your speed round the corner isn't good. 

With Trail Breaking, you break just as hard but as you approach the apex of the corner you release some of the brake pressure, but not all, which keeps some of the downward pressure/grip on the front tyres allowing you to go through the apex at a much higher speed before re-applying the throttle. 

It takes some practice but once you get right you will gain a lot of time over a complete lap. There are several video's on YouTube that will explain it much better than I can.

• Like 1

What worked for me in DiRT Rally 2.0 was simply daring myself to take each corner a little later on the brakes, earlier on the throttle etc.

I'd crash a lot but over time I'd step back from this aggression on each corner and find the spot where I'm just within the limits while still pushing as hard as I can go.

You could probably do similar in F1.

2 hours ago, Lurtz said:

With Trail Breaking, you break just as hard but as you approach the apex of the corner you release some of the brake pressure, but not all, which keeps some of the downward pressure/grip on the front tyres allowing you to go through the apex at a much higher speed before re-applying the throttle. 

It takes some practice but once you get right you will gain a lot of time over a complete lap. There are several video's on YouTube that will explain it much better than I can.

I have one 🙂 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1