Jump to content Jump to content

Wheel going limp in V 1.12 (No FFB and No Motor Control) midway through Multiplayer League race in F1 2020.

quirk50

• A detailed description of the issue.

Wheel going limp (No FFB and No Motor Control but can still steer) midway through Multiplayer League race in F1 2020.   I have practiced a ton in Solo modes, with a couple people in Practice Lobbies, and in the qualifiers for these races below, and  never had a problem, but on:

October 19 at ~10 PM EST - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/784463582
    October 26 at ~10 PM EST - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/775718462

Prior to October 19th & these two times, I have never had this problem, and did not update other hardwares or softwares.

I'm guessing there is a bug in your telemetry output in version 1.12

• Platform

Hardware
PC WIN 10 FANA PC Driver: 373
CS 2.5  USB  WheelBase FW: 674 WheelBase Motor FW: 22
Formula V2 Wheel FW: 35
CS v3 Pedals RJ Cable

Software
F1 2020  V1.12 Telemetry Port: 20776
SimHub Overlays Telemetry Port: 20776  Forwarding to 20777 20778, 20779
Fanalab  V 1.47b Port 20778
(Need Fanalab to get Wheel lock and Wheel spin motor vibration in F1 2020 as not yet supported)

• What version of the game you are using (Shown on the start screen in the bottom left corner of the screen)
    image.png.924b6677ce6e70be6584ba7225f02d14.png  

Auto Updates On so always latest version

• Ranked/Unranked/Leagues

Unranked Lobby created by Private League

• Wired or Wireless Connection

Wired

• The amount of players in your session?

16-18

• Were you the host?

No

• Did this issue happens for everyone in the session, just some people or just yourself? What did they see?

Just Me

• We need to be able to make your problem happen internally so we can fix the issue. Can you make the problem happen again?

Not sure - Will try in unranked lobbies

• How do you make the problem happen?

Its only happened 2x under the conditions mentioned above - Playing Unranked Multiplayer private League race, and during actual race (not 18 min quali)

• Can you add a report code. How to find this is in Main Menu > Game Options > Settings > 16 digit code in the bottom left of the screen. Please make sure that this is the code from the session you had the issue in. Adding report codes from as many users in your session as possible would be really helpful here.

Sorry I don't have this.

• Video of the issue, including timestamps. Did you stream the session?

October 19 at ~10 PM EST - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/784463582
    October 26 at ~10 PM EST - https://www.twitch.tv/videos/775718462

• Administrator

Hi @Quirk50,

When you attempt to replicate, please add the report code as it helps us notice the issue. Does it happen regularly to you?

Please consider deleting the custom control schema, verify the Steam files and delete the hardware_settings_config.xml

Thank you @BarryBL for your quick reply.

When you attempt to replicate, please add the report code as it helps us notice the issue. Does it happen regularly to you?

Please consider deleting the custom control schema, verify the Steam files and delete the hardware_settings_config.xml

Will be happy to add report code next time it happens - (hopefully it never does again)

I'll delete custom control schema for my wheel and pedals and remake them & will delete the hardware_settings_config.xml file

What do you think happened and have you seen this before?  (Seems like there was a telemetry hiccup/bug that created the problem that is new in V1.12)

What does "verify the Steam files" mean?

• Administrator

In the Steam application, right click on F1 2020 and select 'Properties'. You will be greeted with the below:

Capture.PNG

At the top of this menu, you will see 'Local Files', click on this and then you will see the option to "Verify integrity of game files" like the below, but not greyed out. Click on this:

Capture.PNG

Yes @BarryBL.  Simhub and then forwarding to Fanalab.

But I have been practicing a bunch in Solo and small MP practice sessions with no problems, and for it to happen only in full Multiplayer lobby, in the middle of the only two races I have done since the 1.12 release, makes me suspect that something changed in telemetry output that caused the issue.

(BTW - I wouldn't need to run Fanalab if you would implement correct support for wheel spin and wheel lock, and the Fana Clubsport 3 pedal motors) 

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, Quirk50 said:

@BarryBL  Have not been able to reproduce the problem since deleting the custom control schema, verify the Steam files and delete the hardware_settings_config.xml .  

Curious why this might have fixed the problem?

May have been an issue in the scheme somewhere, but a fresh 'reset' helps. Using this method is a good initial piece of troubleshooting to try and identify if it is a game issue or there's something amiss with the control scheme/wheel.

Verifying integrity of game files is a general troubleshooting piece of advice, as it ensures the game has the correct desired files and setup.

Hi @BarryBL

I had the same problem happen to me again last night, where the wheel loses FFB (in this case the wheel just pulled to the right but was still driveable), even after deleting the custom control schema, verifying the Steam files and deleting the hardware_settings_config.xml 

Each of the three times this has happened now, it has happened in a multiplayer unranked lobby that has a qualifier and race, and the problem always happens mid race after the qualifier.  This has never happened to me in other platforms like assetto corsa, and only started happening to me in F1 2020 after your last 1.12 update.  Before that everything worked perfect.

You asked for the report code, so after the wheel crash, I had to advance out of the lobby to get to settings and was able to get you this code: RJSP-KRGH-HBTK-MCEE.

Image 988.png

BTW @BarryBL

- The setup works perfect in other sims and in all other areas of your title, except mutiplayer races, and it only started having this issue after your 1.2 update?  So I am not sure how you would conclude that this was a hardware/firmware issue. 

• Administrator

Either this or theres a Multiplayer connectivity issue here. My concern is that if this was a common problem, it would've been reported a lot a while ago, and this is the first I've heard of it. My next questions would be:

•  Do you experience this when you are the host, or only if you are not.
  •  Do you experience this in lobbies where there are a lot of racers only?
  •  Can you do an online practice unranked session and it work as expected consistantly?
  •  Do you have Project Cars installed? (Longshot, but an old theory from 2019)

@BarryBL  Answers to your questions

•  Do you experience this when you are the host, or only if you are not.

Both as a host and just as a participant

•  Do you experience this in lobbies where there are a lot of racers only?

So far it has happened in 3 Lobbies:

1.  Participant:  16 Other Live Drivers
2. Participant:  18 Other Live Drivers
3. Host: 1 other Live Driver and 16 AI

•  Can you do an online practice unranked session and it work as expected consistantly?

Yes - No problems hosting or participating in Practice sessions or Qualifiers

•  Do you have Project Cars installed? (Longshot, but an old theory from 2019)

No.

• Administrator
10 minutes ago, Quirk50 said:

@BarryBL  I have done a few of these recently (in the last week) - unranked public lobbies, some 3 lap, 5 lap, and 25%'ers and have never had this problem with these smaller lobbies.

Okay, I suspect a connection issue somewhere, as it might be a player you are joining with the poor connection, or your connection struggling with larger lobbies. Could also be to do with "Need Fanalab to get Wheel lock and Wheel spin motor vibration in F1 2020 as not yet supported" from your initial report. 

If something is not supported for F1 2020, then we don't guarantee it works. Can you test your setup, minus the un-supported additions, in a large lobby and see what happens. 

1 hour ago, BarryBL said:

Okay, I suspect a connection issue somewhere, as it might be a player you are joining with the poor connection, or your connection struggling with larger lobbies.

@BarryBL 

The issue I have with either of these ideas is that the day 1.12 was installed, it stopped working for me.  No other changes. 😞  What changed on your end that would cause this? 

I also don't really understand how fanalab or the fanatec driver packs communicate with f1 2020.  Is it all through telemetry data?  or does it also have a native transfer of data?  I am interested in the wheelbase and FFB data communication, as that is the connection that seems to break.  Guessing it comes down to some interruption in fanalab and f1 2020.

I do not understand why it would be specific to larger multiplayer lobbies (especially when it happens with just two same country live players and 16 AI's).  I have a very stable wired internet connection (business class service) and never have any lag or weak connection indicators...??

• Administrator

More than likely. The issue is here you are running with components that are not supported in F1 2020, and can do so at your own risk. Also, from your messages, it seems to mostly happen in larger lobbies, where there are more connections and players.

Post a dxdiag as me and @TeenierNeilb69 run very similar wheel hardware the only issues we have (apart from gameplay) are the wheel vibration in the MP lobby. Fanatec have flagged this as a CM issue, still not addressed.

He has the CSW2.5 and I have the CSL-E, we have both run with the 373 drivers and firmwares on Formula v2 wheels.

I have CSL-E LC pedals on RJ12 and he has CSP v3 on USB. We have both updated to 380 drivers and firmwares without any apparent issues. We also use Fanalab v1.47

Thanks @steviejay69 & @TeenierNeilb69.  

Here you go: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1KkC5JkPlMIADRbsVxIhCMeAM_XIT8d8CrB6cZpOBeD8/edit?usp=sharing

I have not loaded the new 380 driver yet.  This is a really weird bug because it seems like it only happens in a split second in the middle of a F1 2020 race.  Seems like a connection issue between wheelbase and software, but not sure which software.  It happens in an instant in the game.

Archived