F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

Understeer in 'slow' corners.

I'm playing on XBone with a controller. Just can't seem to get enough wheel lock on slower turns.....like in second gear doing around 30-40 mph. Overshoot corner. Tried with steering saturation maxed out to 100 and still having problems with low speed understeer. Even tried with steering saturation at 100 and steering linearity at zero.....no help with understeer and steering too twitchy anyway for any form of steering. Might some set up changes give me more turn in for these slower corners?

I'm also an XB1 controller user. I assume you are having issues with corners such as the hairpin at Monaco? Try the some or all of these setup adjustments:

- reducing off-throttle differential (as a general rule I don't go any higher than 60%)

- increasing front downforce

- sliding front toe to the left

- reducing front suspension stiffness

Clipping a little bit of inside kerb can help on some corners with getting the rotation, but make sure you now the corner and have sufficient ride height. Also I know its obvious, but make sure you use all of the track and swing it in from as wide as possible.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, pacers101 said:

I'm also an XB1 controller user. I assume you are having issues with corners such as the hairpin at Monaco? Try the some or all of these setup adjustments:

- reducing off-throttle differential (as a general rule I don't go any higher than 60%)

Clipping a little bit of inside kerb can help on some corners with getting the rotation, but make sure you now the corner and have sufficient ride height. Also I know its obvious, but make sure you use all of the track and swing it in from as wide as possible.

Thanks for the reply and suggestions. Will give them a try.

@Scrogs

using a manual transmission & down shifting correctly will help a lot with getting the car to rotate. Manual trans will also improve your braking by shortening your overall braking distance needed to slow the car for corners. I find using the manual tranny a key component to achieving faster lap times. Good luck & I hope this helps you. One last thing, switch to a wheel, it’s a completely different world. 

On 10/29/2020 at 2:30 PM, pacers101 said:

All of these suggestions Make sense except sliding the front toe to the left... Isn’t increasing the front toe (i.e. moving it to the right) supposed to increase front responsiveness?

On 10/29/2020 at 10:18 AM, Scrogs said:

I'm playing on XBone with a controller. Just can't seem to get enough wheel lock on slower turns.....like in second gear doing around 30-40 mph. Overshoot corner. Tried with steering saturation maxed out to 100 and still having problems with low speed understeer. Even tried with steering saturation at 100 and steering linearity at zero.....no help with understeer and steering too twitchy anyway for any form of steering. Might some set up changes give me more turn in for these slower corners?

Although I don't have this problem with the Xbone controller in this game, try to zoom your eyes downward and look at the way you turn the analog stick when you're having the turning problem, it's possible that you're not turning the analog stick at 90 degrees to one direction during those tight turns therefor the car is not turning at full-lock. 

I had this problem when I was playing Forza back in the days, always trying to "lock" my thumb to kinda fight against overturning my car during the med-high speed turns. Before I know it, my thumb had became very stiff and often only pushing the analog stick at a tilt angle (like only roughly 45-60 degrees) and was unable to turn the car at tight turns as if the car has very narrow steering angle, until I finally paid attention to what my thumb was doing and started to practice on making my thumb to move the analog stick with more flexibility.

Edited by DRT-Apophis
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, DRT-Apophis said:

Although I don't have this problem with the Xbone controller in this game, try to zoom your eyes downward and look at the way you turn the analog stick when you're having the turning problem, it's possible that you're not turning the analog stick at 90 degrees to one direction during those tight turns therefor the car is not turning at full-lock. 

I had this problem when I was playing Forza back in the days, always trying to "lock" my thumb to kinda fight against overturning my car during the med-high speed turns. Before I know it, my thumb had became very stiff and often only pushing the analog stick at a tilt angle (like only roughly 45-60 degrees) and was unable to turn the car at tight turns as if the car has very narrow steering angle, until I finally paid attention to what my thumb was doing and started to practice on making my thumb to move the analog stick with more flexibility.

This is a good point... I actually have the same problem with the wheel. You get so used to gently turning it through the fast corners, sometimes i find im nowhere near full lock through the slowest corners unless i really focus on it.

1 hour ago, DRT-Apophis said:

I think that you've just sorted/refocused my steering technique DRT-Apophis. I wasn't getting 90 degree thumb movement into tighter corners....and I was probably going a bit too fast into these corners than I should have been too. Need to be going into corner at right speed (probably right gear also) for that corner.....start to make the turning input on the thumbstick a little earlier as I was running wide purely by not clipping the apex.

So....what I'm trying to do for say a tight right hand bend (using clock face as reference for thumbstick movement is :-

1 Get as far as possible to the outside line.

2 Correct speed and gear for the particular corner.

3 Input turn slightly earlier than I usually do.

4 3 o'clock stick position into apex....slight adjustment if I'm cutting corner.

5 As I go through corner, push the thumbstick through to 2 o'clock against the thumbstick rim and 'roll' the thumbstick towards 1 o'clock then noon as car straightens.

I've always ran with low steering linearity/ increased steering saturation as I thought that it was needed for tight cornering......only for the steering to be too twitchy on the straights. But now maybe I can set steering settings for a  smoother and less twitchy drive.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Scrogs said:

I think that you've just sorted/refocused my steering technique DRT-Apophis. I wasn't getting 90 degree thumb movement into tighter corners....and I was probably going a bit too fast into these corners than I should have been too. Need to be going into corner at right speed (probably right gear also) for that corner.....start to make the turning input on the thumbstick a little earlier as I was running wide purely by not clipping the apex.

So....what I'm trying to do for say a tight right hand bend (using clock face as reference for thumbstick movement is :-

1 Get as far as possible to the outside line.

2 Correct speed and gear for the particular corner.

3 Input turn slightly earlier than I usually do.

4 3 o'clock stick position into apex....slight adjustment if I'm cutting corner.

5 As I go through corner, push the thumbstick through to 2 o'clock against the thumbstick rim and 'roll' the thumbstick towards 1 o'clock then noon as car straightens.

I've always ran with low steering linearity/ increased steering saturation as I thought that it was needed for tight cornering......only for the steering to be too twitchy on the straights. But now maybe I can set steering settings for a  smoother and less twitchy drive.

Good to hear. Try and get the hang of trail braking as well if you haven't already. It really gives you control in corners and that bit of extra rotation when you need it. This is a decent guide video for controller users (old version of the game but same principles):

• Thanks 1