Sign in to follow this  

Autosport youtube videos

yeah these vids aer on the vid thread I set up and that's kind of what convic3ed me too that and the open wheel vids they've done as well

I just saw the preview of the drift challenges and while I am hopeful the physics have been sorted out (I think)...why are the tandems not properly done like in Formula Drift or D1 competition styles? 

Why are the cars so far apart?  they should score them on proximity and use rules similar to sanctioned drift competitions

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ou1CqKtwWlw

I just saw the preview of the drift challenges and while I am hopeful the physics have been sorted out (I think)...why are the tandems not properly done like in Formula Drift or D1 competition styles? 

Why are the cars so far apart?  they should score them on proximity and use rules similar to sanctioned drift competitions

If I had to guess I'd say it's because drifting is not that well known tbh I only know about drifting through playing NFS shift  and I suck at it tbh and I doubt I'd be doing much tuner as it looks like a bit of a tricky disciplinre to me and I generally prefer out and out racing

If I had to guess I'd say it's because drifting is not that well known tbh I only know about drifting through playing NFS shift  and I suck at it tbh and I doubt I'd be doing much tuner as it looks like a bit of a tricky disciplinre to me and I generally prefer out and out racing
I think it's also because of the likelihood of the players attempting to troll/grief one another so they can win by default, or because of the likelihood of spinning the car on the corners because of how slidey they are.

I think once everyone's gotten used to it, clean online drivers will probably learn how long to wait when they're the 'lead' car so both drivers can drive close tandem as opposed to this. But yeah, in a drift event against randoms I wouldn't trust them to drift clean; they'd probably try to knock me off to cancel my drift scores out so they win. :/

KazzyMac said:

I think it's also because of the likelihood of the players attempting to troll/grief one another so they can win by default, or because of the likelihood of spinning the car on the corners because of how slidey they are.

I think once everyone's gotten used to it, clean online drivers will probably learn how long to wait when they're the 'lead' car so both drivers can drive close tandem as opposed to this. But yeah, in a drift event against randoms I wouldn't trust them to drift clean; they'd probably try to knock me off to cancel my drift scores out so they win. :/
quite possibly yeah but I don't really know the official rules of drifting anyway as I don't follow it I know the longer you can hold your car going sideways through a corner the more points you get part but tbh that's all I know and I learnt that through playing NFS Shift and Grid 2

KazzyMac said:

quite possibly yeah but I don't really know the official rules of drifting anyway as I don't follow it I know the longer you can hold your car going sideways through a corner the more points you get part but tbh that's all I know and I learnt that through playing NFS Shift and Grid 2
And that's why game drifting is so boring compared to the real deal. It's not how long or far you can drift. If pro drivers lose drift at all or spin it's a 0 for that run. Real drifting is based on how close you can hold the specific line the set out and how close you can get to the clipping points or the lead car if you're chasing. Then on top of that it's about doing it with as much angle as possible with as little steering corrections and e brake lock up as possible. The games make it look easy and confusing. Seriously the pros are performing surgery with their driving. It's all a show of peak car control. I do prefer rally but drifting isn't just smoke and body kits.

Shinny said:
KazzyMac said:

And that's why game drifting is so boring compared to the real deal. It's not how long or far you can drift. If pro drivers lose drift at all or spin it's a 0 for that run. Real drifting is based on how close you can hold the specific line the set out and how close you can get to the clipping points or the lead car if you're chasing. Then on top of that it's about doing it with as much angle as possible with as little steering corrections and e brake lock up as possible. The games make it look easy and confusing. Seriously the pros are performing surgery with their driving. It's all a show of peak car control. I do prefer rally but drifting isn't just smoke and body kits.
well tbf they can't make it too over complicated like that otherwise people won't play it and it would be a waste of time putting it in the game especially as it's quite a tricky discipline to get to grips with anyway in these games

Shinny said:
KazzyMac said:

well tbf they can't make it too over complicated like that otherwise people won't play it and it would be a waste of time putting it in the game especially as it's quite a tricky discipline to get to grips with anyway in these games
That's what I like about this setup the more I think about it. If you're going to be on 360 I'd be happy to show you a few things with drifting. I've instructed at a few drift events and autocrosses and found I really like teaching.

unfortunately I'm not I'm on PC
Ah, no worries I'm getting capture equipment for my birthday next week. So I'm going to be playing racing games all the way back to N64 educationaly. I'm sure I'll end up posting here when I've got some vids from GAS

I'm on 360 as well as on PC but I'm not particularly that interested in drifting, though.

I'm not going to deny that IRL it takes some serious skills to hold the cars the way that they do. I've watched runs of Formula D back when I watched TV and some of the lines that they hold in drift events would put most of us normal people straight into hospital if we attempted them. :P

KazzyMac said:
I'm on 360 as well as on PC but I'm not particularly that interested in drifting, though.

I'm not going to deny that IRL it takes some serious skills to hold the cars the way that they do. I've watched runs of Formula D back when I watched TV and some of the lines that they hold in drift events would put most of us normal people straight into hospital if we attempted them. :P
Indeed

KazzyMac said:

OK that may be relevant for online but offline, they should at least make it available to do proper tandems with AI cars

KazzyMac said:

OK that may be relevant for online but offline, they should at least make it available to do proper tandems with AI cars
Sometimes AI can be a bit dodgy too though so I can understand it.

i totally agree with RTAnoskills i hate watching up on autosport due to the fact of the shit races that you see. i totally know about close pack racing a wee tap or what not but ramming cars overtaking on dodgy corners or miss judging a corner. if it was me codemasters id pick some1 that can actually race. ie me or RTAnoskills aslong as they have it recorded then more advertisement for you and better 2. These videos are what ruin your game, have you raced online first corner bang 8 car wreck no1 can use there brakes. It must be influenced from these videos. 

FR15KYCGS said:
i totally agree with RTAnoskills i hate watching up on autosport due to the fact of the shit races that you see. i totally know about close pack racing a wee tap or what not but ramming cars overtaking on dodgy corners or miss judging a corner. if it was me codemasters id pick some1 that can actually race. ie me or RTAnoskills aslong as they have it recorded then more advertisement for you and better 2. These videos are what ruin your game, have you raced online first corner bang 8 car wreck no1 can use there brakes. It must be influenced from these videos. 
It's not a full on sim though. It's a semi with a forgiving nature and they want to show that side of the game too so doing it this way is good I think

FR15KYCGS said:
It's not a full on sim though. It's a semi with a forgiving nature and they want to show that side of the game too so doing it this way is good I think
That's for sure. Those Touring cars look like they can take a race ending hit without having any real damage, although it's hard to tell from the videos what causes real damage and what effect it has on your car. Not having the ability to fix it makes, in theory, people be more careful, but if the amage really doesn't have that much of an adverse effect, this may just be GRID2 dressed up in fancy clothes.

FR15KYCGS said:
That's for sure. Those Touring cars look like they can take a race ending hit without having any real damage, although it's hard to tell from the videos what causes real damage and what effect it has on your car. Not having the ability to fix it makes, in theory, people be more careful, but if the amage really doesn't have that much of an adverse effect, this may just be GRID2 dressed up in fancy clothes.
not sure if any of the players had the damage on full though it's hard to say I know most are up against harder level AI but as for full damage there probably are some crashes you can have that would end your race though. @Loore has constantly said on here they're tweaking things all the time at the moment and will continue to do so until the game gets released and even afterwards I'm sure they'll tweak things further if needed via patches too. So whsat we've seen may not be 100% what we get just a taster of it.

So long as open-wheelers are as easy to write off as they are in Grid 1 I don't care.

Had a whale of a time playing with some guys on there ... took too much kerb on Milan and turned in too early and tapped the armco ... ripped the left side of my car straight off there and then.

Luckily I was in last place by that point so I didn't take anybody else out with me, but that's how cars should be. Street circuits should be scary as hell to drive in open-wheelers because of the whole 'mess up and your car is ruined' Monaco-style vibe. If I smack a wall in GAS in the F3 cars and don't instant-wreck I will be a bit gutted.

Not so much in touring cars though; I expect those to take a few before they give up the goat. :)

KazzyMac said:
So long as open-wheelers are as easy to write off as they are in Grid 1 I don't care.

Had a whale of a time playing with some guys on there ... took too much kerb on Milan and turned in too early and tapped the armco ... ripped the left side of my car straight off there and then.

Luckily I was in last place by that point so I didn't take anybody else out with me, but that's how cars should be. Street circuits should be scary as hell to drive in open-wheelers because of the whole 'mess up and your car is ruined' Monaco-style vibe. If I smack a wall in GAS in the F3 cars and don't instant-wreck I will be a bit gutted.

Not so much in touring cars though; I expect those to take a few before they give up the goat. :)

Well according to @Loore the open wheelers don't visit the street tracks very often in career mode although there are 1 or 2 in there I think he said I usually race with Damage off or visual only but only time will  tell on the damage system.