F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

Tyre choice/strategy

Solo career running 25% races. I started race on softs and boxed once to change to mediums. Rain came after the tyre change and I tried to finish race on the mediums but controlling the car was difficult. All the other AI drivers ran a one stop race. So did they change to wet tyres and could I have done a second unscheduled pit to get wet tyres? I'm presuming that, if rain comes during a race, that any further pit stops would mean that wet tyres will be fitted by the pit crew.

Jeff should come on radio mentioning a change of strategy and you either accept or decline. But yif you cycle through the MFD you get to a page which has the tyres that will be fitted on the next stop, then you can manually choose which tyres you want fitted.

If Jeff doesn't come on radio it will probably be because the 25 plus seconds lost during pit stops wont be made up by changing from slicks to wets or inters especially in the very late stages of race.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Ukbordoy said:

Jeff should come on radio mentioning a change of strategy and you either accept or decline. But yif you cycle through the MFD you get to a page which has the tyres that will be fitted on the next stop, then you can manually choose which tyres you want fitted.

If Jeff doesn't come on radio it will probably be because the 25 plus seconds lost during pit stops wont be made up by changing from slicks to wets or inters especially in the very late stages of race.

Thanks for this. Yeah.....I think Jeff offered me a change of strategy but I didn't know what to do or how to accept it. So I do this via the MFD. I've got it now.

You have 15 seconds to respond to his suggested strategy. After that he might try again or you can just select the next tyre you want in the second MFD screen. And did the AI finish on wets or slicks? Because it's possible you were in a situation where wet tyres weren't required yet. And the AI is simply really good in those in between periods.

• Thanks 1