F1 2021 | Arrives July 16 | First Look Here Read more... ×

Do the engines have different weight?

Not sure if its my imagination but in my previous season in My Team I used a Mercedes engine and the car handled perfectly. Now in the new season I switched to the Renault engine and the car understeers a lot from what I noticed in Australia. Its worth mentioning that there weren't any rule changes and I upgraded the aero of the car too (both front and rear downforce) as well as the chassis. I also used the same setup from my previous season but now I had to adjust it to make the car oversteer a bit. Maybe the Renault engine weights more than the Mercedes one and each engine has different weight?

46 minutes ago, AvengerGR35 said:

Not sure if its my imagination but in my previous season in My Team I used a Mercedes engine and the car handled perfectly. Now in the new season I switched to the Renault engine and the car understeers a lot from what I noticed in Australia. Its worth mentioning that there weren't any rule changes and I upgraded the aero of the car too (both front and rear downforce) as well as the chassis. I also used the same setup from my previous season but now I had to adjust it to make the car oversteer a bit. Maybe the Renault engine weights more than the Mercedes one and each engine has different weight?

When the engines aren't completely stock or completely maxed out, I believe they have slightly different characteristic from one another.

Was the Renault engine more/less powerful than the Merc PU when you made the switch during the start of the new season? If so it might be the sudden changes in torque/power delivery characteristic or the overall speed difference that's catching you off-guard.

Also, it might be because now you're revisiting the same track with a much more powerful car, since you're hitting each corner at much higher speed, it'll certain take some time to readjust your approach. I've had the exact same problem when I first entered season 2, even though I was using the same engine as season 1.

• Agree 1

The engine might be more powerful. I've definitely had issues for a race or two when I had invested too much in upgrading the engine power and while I did have downforce upgrades, I simply didn't have enough to actually make it through corners.

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, DRT-Apophis said:

When the engines aren't completely stock or completely maxed out, I believe they have slightly different characteristic from one another.

Was the Renault engine more/less powerful than the Merc PU when you made the switch during the start of the new season? If so it might be the sudden changes in torque/power delivery characteristic or the overall speed difference that's catching you off-guard.

Also, it might be because now you're revisiting the same track with a much more powerful car, since you're hitting each corner at much higher speed, it'll certain take some time to readjust your approach. I've had the exact same problem when I first entered season 2, even though I was using the same engine as season 1.

The Renault engine was (and still is) slightly less powerful than the Mercedes engine when I made the switch. I'm in season 4 now and its the first time this happens to me. I have already done all of the engine power upgrades since season 2 and the only upgrades that remain are 3 manufacturer upgrades which automatically happen throughout the season. 

1 hour ago, AvengerGR35 said:

The Renault engine was (and still is) slightly less powerful than the Mercedes engine when I made the switch. I'm in season 4 now and its the first time this happens to me. I have already done all of the engine power upgrades since season 2 and the only upgrades that remain are 3 manufacturer upgrades which automatically happen throughout the season. 

Was there any rule changes during your 2nd and 3rd season? There might be a possibility that because there isn't any change on your 4th season, now your car is much faster than anything you had driven before, the performance difference between you hit the first round (Aus for example) of this season compare with the past could now be very significant. 

The car setup might need some adjustment too for the new car.

Edited by DRT-Apophis
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, DRT-Apophis said:

Was there any rule changes during your 2nd and 3rd season? There might be a possibility that because there isn't any change on your 4th season, now your car is much faster than anything you had driven before, the performance difference between you hit the first round (Aus for example) of this season compare with the past could now be very significant. 

The car setup might need some adjustment too for the new car.

Yes there were. I think Season 2 affected the engine department and Season 3 something else. Anyways I will adjust my setups but if I manage to make it to season 5 I will switch back to the Merc engine and use my previous setups to see if there's any difference in handling (unless of course a rule change happens and affects the engine).

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, AvengerGR35 said:

Yes there were. I think Season 2 affected the engine department and Season 3 something else. Anyways I will adjust my setups but if I manage to make it to season 5 I will switch back to the Merc engine and use my previous setups to see if there's any difference in handling (unless of course a rule change happens and affects the engine).

Other than the increased pace of the new car that demands more from the driver, another thing is the significantly increased of your rear downforce from upgrades. Based on my personal experience, the MyTeam car is actually exceptionally well-balanced when it's stock, sometimes the upgrades actually made it either too aggressive or lazy/sluggish on the control.

• Agree 1

On 11/2/2020 at 3:11 AM, DRT-Apophis said:

...the MyTeam car is actually exceptionally well-balanced when it's stock... 

I disagree. The stock MyTeam car is an understeering 🐷 

I desagree.. for example I am actually in my 4th season and in this current season i had changed the Engine Supplier.. I was to Honda from Mercedes.. and I noticed that Honda you have much more general mechanical grip and you are able to Push the car to its limits.. yeah the regulation changes rules make a huge impact on the stats and performances aswell but I am much more faster and consistent with Honda that I was in 3 seasons with Mercedes Engines.. that means each Engine have their specific characteristics and you have to tweak always your car setups to get the max potential of them

• Like 1

The engines might have different characteristics, I'm happy if they do. However, I don't really see how the weight of the engine would make such a difference. The cars have a minimum weight and no-one goes above it unless something is very wrong with the design or manufacturing of the car. If the engine is heavier, they'll just reduce the weight from somewhere else. Sure, it leaves a bit less options in terms of weight distribution but I have a hard time believing Codies would have gone that far when even the aero/drag simulation is very simplified. This you can see with how different wing angles affect DRS - it reduces your overall drag and not just that of the rear wing.

• Like 2