Updated Helmets and New Manufacturers + customization?

Suggestion for F1 2021

I’d like to start off this discussion by saying the current helmet system has given me its fair share of enjoyment. I’m not talking about the in-game editor, but the ability to create your own helmet through community resources / modding. I've spent too much time working on a personalized helmet, but it's always worth it when seeing it during cutscenes or the replay.

Most importantly, all things I’d like to see improved are only of value if we are still able to fully customize and mod it through external programs like we do now.

The current system only allows us to choose a single helmet that looks like an Arai-GP5 (that unfortunately isn’t mapped all to well at the back and low poly nowadays), while as far as i know 4 helmet manufacturers (Bell, Arai, Schuberth, Stilo) provide helmets to F1 drivers in 2020. It would be awesome to choose a manufacturer, since they do look quite different.

From there we should also be able to customize our visor color. Looking at this image of my personal helmet (taken from another suggestion I have for 2021), you might agree with me that a visor with color would increase the quality and immersion. This isn’t currently possible through modding as well.

And one last thing I think everyone would appreciate. It'd be awesome if we can get an RGB / HEX input with the color picker. This helps people to get the color they want spot on rather than eyeballing it.

Edited by Saintsnapalm
  • Agree 1

Cut from a cloth of similar thread count, we are. Couldn’t agree more... 

Although you can change the colour of your visor (I’m currently rocking a blue & purple number atm, pinched from DeVries) - charname_visor_d.tif or something like that is the texture you wanna fiddle with, inside the incardriverF1.erp which is in:

2020_asset_groups\animation_packages\scenes\incardriver\2020

Only catch is that any driver who also uses a black tinted visor (from memory that’s Sainz, Magnussen & some marshals - like the guy that rides the scooter to bring you back to the pits after retiring) will also have the same coloured visor as you because they pull from the same file 🙄

There’s also an issue with the textures for visor/visor attachment being a bit wonky when zoomed in to the max in camera mode which does take away from the immersion of having a unique visor somewhat, as well as the “Steve Buscemi” eyes that appear behind the visor depending on the angle you capture a photo at... 

Still, it can be done & it’s cool to see what other people can come up with so giz a look when you’ve tinkered with yours. 

The different helmet manufacturers is an interesting one though & im pretty sure I’ve asked that question before (on here I’m pretty sure with similar results to my other query about the flashbacks). “Licensing” would more than likely be the excuse given as to why it’s not done/possible, but dig a little deeper & it doesn’t really hold any water because a Stilo model is already in-game - so making it available to the player wouldn’t require a huge effort - nevermind the fact the players helmet (which is clearly an Arai) uses Stilo HANS anchors (Can’t imagine the Arai peeps would be too pleased about that! 🤦🏽‍♂️).

In any case, none of this is new - people (not I, I’ve only recently become more vocal because the ‘rona has me spending a lot more time in front of a screen than I otherwise would) have been banging on about these little details for years.

But the focus is always on something else (e.g. more drab pitpass items to tempt the kiddies to spend their allowance) with a “by design” or “because, licensing” throwaway at the ready just in case it’s needed, which if you read through enough threads on here, is actually quite often. 

You’re definitely on the right track though & while I don’t know you from a bar of soap, you’ve got my endorsement to take over from Mather as game director any. day. of. the. week. Because quite frankly, direction is what this game is sorely lacking. 

Edited by Guga_Cyr
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Guga_Cyr said:

Although you can change the colour of your visor (I’m currently rocking a blue & purple number atm, pinched from DeVries) - charname_visor_d.tif or something like that is the texture you wanna fiddle with, inside the incardriverF1.erp which is in:

2020_asset_groups\animation_packages\scenes\incardriver\2020

Thank you a ton, I'm definitely going to experiment with it! A bit of a bummer it's referenced with other models, especially the drivers you mentioned but it is what it is for now.

It's not just the Stilo helmet being in the game, almost if not half the drivers are using Bell helmets. So there are at least 3 different brands in the game already, and I wouldn't be too surprised if Sainz and Perez still have Schuberth helmets (they used them 2018 iirc).

I also totally agree with you that these rather small additions / updates are extremely important, at least to me. I'm okay with myTeam and everything, it's a great addition to the F1 game franchise, as well as some other things, but I would also like to see some love for the small things. The amount of hours I've poured into making my own helmet, gloves etc. is quite a bit and I enjoy driving in cockpit and get a smile whenever I see that this is a personal career, not a "generic" experience.

You’re definitely on the right track though & while I don’t know you from a bar of soap, you’ve got my endorsement to take over from Mather as game director any. day. of. the. week. Because quite frankly, direction is what this game is sorely lacking. 

Not sure if I'm on the right track, I just try to input my two cents of playing (F1) games for 20 years now. I'm trying to suggest smaller things instead of the typical big requests so the hard working devs know that other opinions and voices are present. If I'd be able to get one feature in (definitely going to open another thread about that), it would 100% be lining up on the grid on your own, no assists during a pitstop and get an inlap after the race. All three feel sooooo incredibly satisfying (two of them in Assetto Corsa Competizione). Not sure if you've played ACC, but racing for an hour and a half and get that sweet inlap to pick up rubber is the icing on the cake for me, everytime. I don't like losing the controls right after I've crossed the finish line, but I'd also never want someone to be forced to play this way, so options, options, options are the way to go and Codies definitely try their best to go this route. A casual, experienced and enthusiast mode would be great, while still being able to fine tune things you think you want in your personalized experience.

Thank you very much for the last paragraph, you definitely brought a smile on a strangers face today! Though, I don't think it's about disagreeing with Lee Mather, rather helping the whole dev team to see what a certain type of player (in my case enthusiast and long time player) would want. It's not always the big new mainline update that gets me to play the game 20 hours more than the last one, sometimes it's the sheer existence of modding helmets, gloves (which needs to be improved as well) and the likes.

Im having trouble doing this with the visor I’m a bit of novice with stuff like this could somebody help me please ?