Jump to content
DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

DiRTy Gossip about DIRT 5

PJTierney

Click here to join the Official Discord Server

DIRT 5 does not use the forums in the same way other games too. Instead, all the chat happens on Discord and you can join via the link above.

The forums are only used to store information, for this game.

 

For bug reports and support, head here directly:

 

 

For those that want to hang out on the forums though, do so in this thread.

This thread is not for support/feedback etc., that's all done through Discord. This is merely a hangout area for our forum members 🙂 

 

Message added by PJTierney

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, F2CMaDMaXX said:

You don't understand other peoples opinions, do you?

You don't understand how conversations work, do you?

  • Agree 3
  • Disagree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like you both need to chill.

@Mike Dee said he liked the vibe of the game, @JZStudios said it's been done before.

There's your conversation starter, so take it from there, elaborate on your points etc.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, PJTierney said:

Sounds like you both need to chill.

@Mike Dee said he liked the vibe of the game, @JZStudios said it's been done before.

There's your conversation starter, so take it from there, elaborate on your points etc.

All I'm saying is, someone knows how conversations work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@PJTierney Hey 🙂 I can't wait for Dirt 5 🙂 I love the first gameplay Video in maybe in Scandinavia with the pink Subaru? 😄 The AI looks very improved and fast how it should be this ius very good 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reminds me a lot of Sega Rally (Revo), especially blue skies wise! Then again, Codemasters did take them over. Bet the surface deformation isn't as fancy though 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/18/2020 at 7:16 PM, JZStudios said:

None of that is new though, it's been done lots of times in other racing games, and it's always been boring or laughably dumb at best, or super obnoxious. NFS 2015 seems like it did a lot of that too.

Yeah it isn't really new, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Yes other games have tried it and weren't able to fully deliver on it, but we have seen CM deliver on that kind of Dirt game before - D2 and D3 were fantastic in that regard (imo). So if D5 can capture the core game energy of D2 and D3, bring in some beautiful 2020 eye candy, and let their team just go BIG and a bit over the top with some flare to it all, I'm all in.

I love Dirt Rally 2.0 and the intensity/excitement of it all, but I also have been wanting something I can throw on later in the evening just to kick back more casually while doing epic things with my buddies over. This game is definitely not going to be for everyone, and if you're looking for the next DR3 you're better of just booting up 2.0 and sharpening your skills there. But for those who are looking form something reminiscent of those late Friday nights with all of your friends in a voice chat racing around getting into wild shenanigans, I think this is going to deliver exactly what we are looking for.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Mike Dee said:

Yeah it isn't really new, but I don't see that as a bad thing. Yes other games have tried it and weren't able to fully deliver on it, but we have seen CM deliver on that kind of Dirt game before - D2 and D3 were fantastic in that regard (imo). So if D5 can capture the core game energy of D2 and D3, bring in some beautiful 2020 eye candy, and let their team just go BIG and a bit over the top with some flare to it all, I'm all in.

I love Dirt Rally 2.0 and the intensity/excitement of it all, but I also have been wanting something I can throw on later in the evening just to kick back more casually while doing epic things with my buddies over. This game is definitely not going to be for everyone, and if you're looking for the next DR3 you're better of just booting up 2.0 and sharpening your skills there. But for those who are looking form something reminiscent of those late Friday nights with all of your friends in a voice chat racing around getting into wild shenanigans, I think this is going to deliver exactly what we are looking for.

Mmm, I don't know. People were pretty upset that Ken Block even existed in either game. I enjoyed it, but having Mr. The Block say "Welcome to Dirt 2" is a lot more lowkey than Donut media, Slaptrain, and a full "story." I did like the first Horizon, where they kind of hyped up each "boss" before you raced them and they had an amount of personality. It was relatively minor and all done over "radio."

And I'm all for the "arcade" style, I just started playing D2 and getting close to finishing it, it's great fun, and so is D3. All I'm saying is I hope the "story" isn't too... over the top hipster d bag style, but given Donut Media and Slaptrains involvement... That's not exceptionally likely. The hipster d bag cliche has been far too prevalent in racing games for something like a decade now and it's real tiring.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2020 at 9:59 AM, PJTierney said:

DIRT 5 won't have "general discussion" on the forum, it's all on Discord.

Since that means there's no general place to discuss the game on the forums, people are making threads here. Therefore, I consolidated it all into this thread so that it doesn't clutter the DR2 forums.

 

Can you tell us if we get an update on PC version once the Next Gen version is out to be on the same level or are we getting screwed on PC? I would like to know because games like Fifa and Madden hasve already said that the PC will not get the next gen treatment... and will be current gen...

Edited by Tr3voRR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Nice preview from VVV: 4 Tracks and some wheel gameplay.

 

Edited by kellemann

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Interesting article here: https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2020-06-22-dirt-5-feels-more-like-a-new-motorstorm-than-a-new-dirt-and-thats-okay

Made by ex-Evo team (Driveclub/OnRush) using their own engine, not EGO. New Dirt Rally game is coming too, separately (I would assume it might add some more WRC locations, so they can form the basis of the WRC games down the line, maybe).

Edited by VirtuaIceMan

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well, I really like the courses, from the videos, they don't seem small and therefore dull.   Looks like a lot of fun. 

One thing concerns me, the rally cars on the jumps do not look right.  Cockpit view seems ok, but externally they don't seem like they should be taking big air jumps without it looking cartoony, all the other car types look right.  D2's trucks had great suspension effects and gave the external views quite a lot of life to the vehicles.

A minor thing is the look of Utah seems ... not up to the standard of the other locations.  Having spent a good deal of time in Utah and Monument Valley, there is a lot of beauty that can be captured in the game, right now it looks a little dated with the faded buttes.

 

@PJTierney  Can you say if there will be any point-to-point gameplay in D5?  It will be a definite buy for me if that will be the case.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've looked the first beta video on heise online and it's what I expected more Mario Kart than Dirt Rally. I think a lot of people on console and gamepad will like it even it's  nothing for me. Wheel support... seems better to not try it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FYI, I can't really answer any questions on specifics yet, sorry. I'm the "Rally" guy 😉 

 

Meanwhile, more gameplay:

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Note that the VVV videos were captured in medium graphics settings, so it can look better I expect!

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I loved the dynamic weather and time, and the particle effects look awesome.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, kellemann said:

Nice preview from VVV: 4 Tracks and some wheel gameplay.

 

Wow the YT compression kills it here. Had to bump up the res.

5:07 to 5:14 shows some great carbon fiber material/shader on the dash, that's really nice. Most games just have a simple flat texture or maybe anisotropy and it just doesn't look real. The new engine overall looks really good, seems like the Evo guys should've done this instead of Onrush. Hope they stick with this for DR.

It also seems like there's a pretty decent variety in vehicle classes, I just hope it doesn't end up like D4 where there's only 1 buggy, 1 2wd truck and 1 4wd truck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Watching some of the recent gameplay videos i can say that i like some things like:

Engine sounds is good for an arcade game

Graphics are beautiful especially some visual effects like mud, dust , splashes , snow , lightings etc

Theme/style of he game , the colorful menus the big letters ect

My concerns:

Handling/driving looks too much on rails , the car does not slide or drift in corners .. Dont get me wrong i like arcade games as long as they have proper physics for example: Dirt 2 , Dirt 3 , Grid 1 , Grid Autosport ect  that with all assists off go closet to simcades .. To me Dirt 5 looks like completely arcade like the old Sega Rally games or the most recent Gravel by Milestone.. I hope with all assist off it feels less arcade..

 Chase view! Reading some comments of various videos  i found on utube the most common complaint about third person camera angles... When the car turns floats left and right , camera is not locked in the back of car like in Dirt Rally 2.0 for example.. It should be option to adjust this or the devs to fix it before the release date. PJTierney You should pass this to the team , just watch on utube comments how many people complaing about this

No good collision and damage system! Also it looks that there is not car's deformation but this might due to early gameplay footage

Edited by Miatakias_GR

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

 so i just want to have someone confirm my thoughts or clear me up quickly, cheers. So Dirt 5, is a total different team, realising a game for a more broader spectrum of audience (kids) I get that and that's fine. But I see also dirtrally 2 core team in the interviews  uploaded, saying why it's different and so on. So. Is DirtRally 2 core team and Dirt 5 dev team collaborating for the new dirt 5, just exchanging input, or what is the sauce. Because ,yes its not a #DirtRally3 so why do the dirt rally devs even bother? Why not focus on DR3 on PS5 or patch DR2 to perfection and let Dirt 5 be a well made popcorn blockbuster a king sized triple whopper, we all enjoy now and then.

Edited by TheRubberJohnny

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Miatakias_GR said:

My concerns:

Handling/driving looks too much on rails , the car does not slide or drift in corners .. Dont get me wrong i like arcade games as long as they have proper physics for example: Dirt 2 , Dirt 3 , Grid 1 , Grid Autosport ect  that with all assists off go closet to simcades .. To me Dirt 5 looks like completely arcade like the old Sega Rally games or the most recent Gravel by Milestone.. I hope with all assist off it feels less arcade..

 Chase view! Reading some comments of various videos  i found on utube the most common complaint about third person camera angles... When the car turns floats left and right , camera is not locked in the back of car like in Dirt Rally 2.0 for example.. It should be option to adjust this or the devs to fix it before the release date. PJTierney You should pass this to the team , just watch on utube comments how many people complaing about this

No good collision and damage system! Also it looks that there is not car's deformation but this might due to early gameplay footage

Did you actually watch the footage? There's lots of sliding, and damage is definitely a thing, though not on the same scale as D2. I don't care about chase cam because that's for arcade players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So Dirt5 is using the same engine as Driveclub? Well, that’s good news, because Driveclub is a very good racing game. Loads of progress trackers, statistics and leaderboards. Things that the Dirt Rally team should take notice of and implement in future installments of Dirt Rally games and WRC titles. Driveclub also had a good set of trophies for trophy hunters and completionists like myself. I like titles were the platinum trophy actually is obtainable unlike titles like Dirt Rally and Dirt4. I’ve driven Driveclub «around the globe» and then some, and some of the most enjoyable things in that game was all the street legal cars which you could paint with stock factory colours completely without liveries and stickers.

If this is Driveclub 2, or Driveclub on dirt, I actually might enjoy this title even without a rally discipline. 🙂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Kjell007 said:

So Dirt5 is using the same engine as Driveclub? Well, that’s good news, because Driveclub is a very good racing game.

No, it's made by the guys who made Driveclub, using a new engine they made. I think... they did make the engine for Driveclub, and I don't know why Sony would have the rights to the engine and I'm pretty sure CM bought Evo Studios rather than just hiring the employees. Pretty sure it was said during the release of Onrush it was a new engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×