Multiplayer - what's the point?

So, I have recently ventured off and tried (again) to play ranked multiplayer: it's a waste of time. I get it that we are playing online and there is going to be a bit of banging into each other, but its frustrating as heck when you're rammed off the track by another player just because you pass them. Nothing happens to them. They turn up in the next game and do it again. Maybe thats just the way it needs to be, but for me; theres no enjoyment in it.

Sorry, I know its childish and I know been done to death, but thats me back off multiplayer and I've done enough seasons of career. Will wait for 2021 game and hopefully it has the much needed ability to modify the design.

1 hour ago, MJMD said:

So, I have recently ventured off and tried (again) to play ranked multiplayer: it's a waste of time. I get it that we are playing online and there is going to be a bit of banging into each other, but its frustrating as heck when you're rammed off the track by another player just because you pass them. Nothing happens to them. They turn up in the next game and do it again. Maybe thats just the way it needs to be, but for me; theres no enjoyment in it.

Sorry, I know its childish and I know been done to death, but thats me back off multiplayer and I've done enough seasons of career. Will wait for 2021 game and hopefully it has the much needed ability to modify the design.

Random matches are always gonna be a mess.

Majority of the people who participated in there only wanted quick & convenient fun, skill levels are all over the place, connection stability is non-existent, many don't even aware of what kinda game they're actually playing.

Even if you're fortunately enough to have a field of decent players, the race would still be very likely to be full of accidents because of the lack of practice sessions, usually nobody is well-prepared enough because these F1 cars are very demanding on delicate inputs and consistency. 

The only ways are either avoid multiplayer entirely, or you join leagues to race with proper racers with a proper environment. Based on my experience, the current state of random multiplayer lobbies in F1 is way worse than even Forza, so don't even bother with it.  

Edited by DRT-Apophis

Unfortunately we see this same situation every years in every new release.. I had been one of the much others users/ players who said that to Codemasters.. who tryes to convince them that they need to adapt an new Online Penalty System or adapt an brand new existent one based in Iracing for example.. they had to reformulate the Multiplayer

Thanks folks.

Surely there must be a way that purposeful crashes are penalised - three strikes, and its a weeks ban? Something like that.

Anyways, see you in 2021.

16 minutes ago, MJMD said:

Thanks folks.

Surely there must be a way that purposeful crashes are penalised - three strikes, and its a weeks ban? Something like that.

Anyways, see you in 2021.

The issue is there isn't any actual human to govern the penalty system. With a automatic system, more often than not, it's the innocent players who always received the harsh outcome instead of the dirty ones. 

Until there're some real breakthrough in the design of the system, I don't think it'll ever work as intended. 

I agree to an extent.

Random online races will always be a bit of a lottery, and there are a lot of people every year who either don’t know how to race, or value winning more than being clean (then there’s also a very small amount of people who just want to wreck you for the sake of it).

I have found it to be much better this year though. With a safety rating of S i have mostly found relatively clean lobbies with people who actually want to race properly. It’s not perfect, I agree the penalty system needs work, and people are still generally too aggressive, but overall i do think it’s much better this year. 

Having experienced this for over a decade (mainly in Forza) and collabrated with Microsoft to understand and promote fair play in racing games, I feel the main issue is not a penalty system, but rather the players themselves.

To put it simply:

• Many players do not know the "unwritten rules" of racing etiquette.
  • Many players haven't learned the necessary skills of car control, and thus use up all their mental capacity to keep the car on the road (resulting in no brain space left for dealing with the 19 other cars on-track).
  • Many players aren't experienced enough when it comes to racecraft and how two cars sharing the same space of road impact each other.

Granted, some people want to deliberately go out and ruin others' days but there are some that simply haven't built up the skills and experience to stay out of trouble.

So what's the solution then? I believe education is an important one. Give people the insight and motivation to do better and hopefully they'll follow up on that.

In-game education (like what GT Sport does) is ideal but in lieu of that YouTube exists.

I made this video a while back in my spare time, it might help a few of you at least.

Once you can scan the road ahead and avoid everybody falling over each other, you can have cleaner races even in the most intense warzones 😉 

• Like 1

Agreed. Most people racing this online unfortunately are the same that race forza etc. They do not know how to leave space or feel that there's even a need. It's frustrating but like previously suggested, maybe join a league? Most they're will play the game alot more and have the etiquette required. I race a mini league with 5 mates weekly so luckily we're all in a party and get on so there's no crashing (intentionally at least!). If it makes you feel any better, the ai aren't much better! 

• Like 1

I blame Star Wars Squadrons! People play it for a couple of hours, switch to F1 and still think they are in an X Wing or TIE, not an F! car!

• Haha 1