DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DLC: Would you be in favour?

dwkGravey said:
Lee says on Reddit:
We don't have any plans for DLC at the moment, it's unlikely we'll do any to be honest.

A relief for some of us, disappointment for others.

But they've also said a few times "if you want something, stick it in 'suggestions' and see if others do too", so the discussion isn't completely closed just yet ;)

DLC adds fragmentation. If it's a free DLC, like in the old days, then I'm all for it, because then everyone can get it

Didzis said:
DLC adds fragmentation. If it's a free DLC, like in the old days, then I'm all for it, because then everyone can get it
In the old days, it used to be called an 'expansion pack' and no-one complained ;)

DLC's bad rep comes from being purposely cut out from finished games and being key content that should have been in since the start.

I certainly take your point though.

I hate DLC. It a real bummer for people that don't have extra money to throw at a game and it makes them feel like they're being left out. I like the game that costs and extra £10/£15 than normal but is all inclusive and has no "hidden fees". Simplicity is a virtue. 

Hmm, I'm in two minds about that one. I wouldn't necessarily disagree with you there, as I'd happily pay double what I did for a bit more content and an extension to the EA programme, but we can't change that it's already been sold at what is, as far as I'm concerned, a fairly low price. I also don't mind the modular approach. For instance, I bought Project CARS, but haven't touched it since, mainly because WTCC 2015 and DiRT Rally came out. I'm glad I didn't pay any more for that, so I can not buy the DLC that's being released now.

Not to mention, if they added a few cars as DLC (for example), but they belonged to existing categories in the game, it wouldn't have to fragment the game so long as they weren't overpowered 'pay to win' models, something I think Raceroom have done very well.

I would love to see DiRT Rally as the platform that is then expanded upon via DLC, than wait another 1-2 years for DiRT Rally 2 

Evilsmurf said:
I would love to see DiRT Rally as the platform that is then expanded upon via DLC, than wait another 1-2 years for DiRT Rally 2 
Exactly the point I was trying to make. What if there is no new dirt rally, what if they go back to a more general platform to pull in the mainstream $$? Well in that case, I sure would like to be able to have more content in the current platform.

Yeah, it seems weird to me that there's no plan for DLC in this day and age, though obviously I don't work in video games. Was the plan to plough straight into development of Dirt 4 proper, with a direction based on how the final version of Dirt Rally was received?

dwkGravey said:
Yeah, it seems weird to me that there's no plan for DLC in this day and age, though obviously I don't work in video games. Was the plan to plough straight into development of Dirt 4 proper, with a direction based on how the final version of Dirt Rally was received?
Once DiRT rally is out of EA they will be working on the next project.

YES PLEASE! Imagine that you need to wait 2/3 years or even more for the next DiRT series entry (and imagine If they won't release a new simulator style in the next 5/6 years). DLCs are more then welcome, it fills the game with fresh content and you will have more reasons to play it more and more! Of course If the content will be overpriced, then I'm against with! If they ask the right price with good content then take my money!

Azoresst said:
imagine If they won't release a new simulator style in the next 5/6 years
shudders at that particular prospect
We need to face it! If you go to other forums and even here, you will see some people really satisfied with DiRT Rally and the simulation path, but there is some other that want a DiRT 3 sequel (or even Showdown 2, really? :neutral: ), so that's my point now. Even If they keep following a simulation path for the next one, we won't see it in less then 2 years, I suspect!

Yeah, I know. I suggested that they put all the stuff they cut from DiRT3 into a new DiRT Showdown, so we would have D:R for the rally fans and D:S for the DiRT fans. I just never thought of a possible 6 years wait for D:R2. God, I hope not

Yeah, I know. I suggested that they put all the stuff they cut from DiRT3 into a new DiRT Showdown, so we would have D:R for the rally fans and D:S for the DiRT fans. I just never thought of a possible 6 years wait for D:R2. God, I hope not
I hope not too. Maybe not in 6 years, but maybe 4 years is possible! Since DiRT 3 we waited almost 4 years, so is possible they will take that time If they decided to release something not related with DiRT Rally sequel in the meantime.

If the next project is a DiRT Rally sequel then we should expect something between 2/3 years max, If they keep the game engine, but in this time why not some DLCs to refresh the D:R? That's my point! :smile: 

dwkGravey said:
Once DiRT rally is out of EA they will be working on the next project.
Well now I'm on tenterhooks. I can't imagine what I would want the next game to be other than "moar Dirt Rally", in which case just stick with DR and keep releasing DLC, like R3E.

Well, if we were to judge from the time between RBR and DR then a safe assumption is that we will be stuck with one platform for quite a time. Even if reality will not be that extreme, it's safe not to get hopes up too much regarding another fully fledged sim (I mean a rally sim, of course). In that case any source of new tracks/stages will be much appreciated - be it mods or DLC's, after some time we will be like water-starving plants on a desert.

If anyone released some decent DLC for RBR I'd be the first to buy. Dang, even if they did that every year I'd buy. There is not such a thing as too few tracks in a rally sim for me. Therefore I voted yes - if there will be no DR2, this is the way to go. Obviously for players, and devs too, I presume. Such proportion of supply and demand is rather rare. (This is also a very curious topic business-wise. I still can't understand how was it possible for such a market niche to remain unfilled for such a long time.)

Maybe they could give some DLCs for free for those who bought the game in early access, or at least with some "valued customer" discount.

This topic has been burning my head lately! Some very valid points were raised so far: fragmentation into groups with/without DLC, DLC are often not good value for money...

But I just don't want the DiRT Rally revelation to stop..

Maybe some sort of crowd-funding system to raise money to construct/design a stage? For example a player could pay £3 to fund development of a stage, while when it's complete and release it would cost £5 to buy for those who wanted to see it before they  bought it.

How about crowd-funding for the DiRT developers to create a tool for stage creation? With a pace-note editor?

I would definitely contribute my cash for such a feature to be developed. At the end we would have a tool for talented community members with time on their hands to create new stages and then let the player define the pace notes from the voice notes already in the game.
(maybe even introduce a sysem when players could pay £2-3 for community developed stages)

In all likelihood the above ideas won't happen. Going for Early Access was enough of a non-Codies thing to do for Codies for now... They've seen the sales and reactions, some welcome cash arrived via Steam bank accounts.

My guess is that the DiRT Rally chapter will be closed and the team will move onto creating an ultimate DiRT game: very similar to DiRT Rally, improved visuals (new graphics engine?), lots more content and console as lead platforms.

DiRT Rally is a proof of concept and it worked very well. It is a fantastic game. In a way it is not complete yet, but it will lead to some very good things :)

How about crowd-funding for the DiRT developers to create a tool for stage creation? With a pace-note editor?

I would definitely contribute my cash for such a feature to be developed. At the end we would have a tool for talented community members with time on their hands to create new stages and then let the player define the pace notes from the voice notes already in the game.
(maybe even introduce a sysem when players could pay £2-3 for community developed stages)
 Great idea, look at ARMA series, which is another hardcore sim game for military enthusiasts. They have a great editor, which keeps the game alive for many years. Their community is so dedicated, that there was a contest, where developers gave 500k euros as prize money for best mods, addons and missions.

"Everything is possible at this stage" said @KickUp on twitter when asked about the possibility of new stages/locations as paid DLC.

It's funny the thing about price. I pay about the same amount for a Playstation game today as I did 15 years ago. 

bogani said:
"Everything is possible at this stage" said @KickUp on twitter when asked about the possibility of new stages/locations as paid DLC.
A sliver of hope is restored.

I pay even less for PC games than I did 15 years ago! Would happily pay for more of this quality.
Yup. The price I paid for DR is a real bargain. I also know exactly what I get for the money I paid, their timeline is very clear. 

I'd happily support this project with paid DLC after EA is done.