Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DLC: Would you be in favour?

I don't regret the money I paied for Dirt Rally, good investment for sure!

I would be happy to pay for more quality content, but the price for content should be comparable to bonus cars in Asseto Corsa/Project Cars.

Paradox Interactive should be your idol.

RookieOne said:
It it permit them to add toyota : YES
They can't due to licensing issues.
That's a real shame :(  Maybe they could one day, if things change. I wonder who has the Toyota rally car license.  I really hate people signing exclusivity agreements with things like this, I just think it's ultimately so pointless.  Would be better for Toyota to take less money from more sources than extra money from one for exclusivity.  Grrrrrr.

Blither said:
RookieOne said:
It it permit them to add toyota : YES
They can't due to licensing issues.
That's a real shame :(  Maybe they could one day, if things change. I wonder who has the Toyota rally car license.  I really hate people signing exclusivity agreements with things like this, I just think it's ultimately so pointless.  Would be better for Toyota to take less money from more sources than extra money from one for exclusivity.  Grrrrrr.
WRC game has it and i think possibly SLRE?

I would definitely throw money at Codies for DLC after official release.  A rally sim needs a lot of stages to have longevity with the community.  DR is already a great base and I hope they expand on it for a long time.

Yeah, most rally games are very lacking in rallies and stages and I would be pleasantly surprised if Codies support extra rallies into the future.
Most games have only 8 rallies and fairly short stages. I'm guessing Dirt Rally will have 8 upon release, but hopefully more into the future (Monte, Greece, Wales, Germany, Finland, Sweden and maybe two more [Australia & ???])

With the density of detail and thought that seems to have gone into each stage, I suspect Dirt Rally won't have enormously long rallies. I hope I'm wrong though.

I remember playing WRC2 Extreme way back in '02. It had like the  full calendar of 16 rallies and very, very long stages. The title makes it sound lame, but I loved that game! Obviously their stages had a lot less detail

There was a very interesting thread a while ago, that I was pleasantly surprised by the outcome of, which suggested most people would prefer fewer rallies but with more stages.

http://forums.codemasters.com/discussion/6420/improvement-quantity-or-diversity/p1

If we're being fair, we can say that there are effectively 4 stages per location (they didn't have to give us the 10km variants, after all), but a few more of these in each of the 6 planned locations would be ideal (and I would say add the already modelled 'Colorado' as a 7th).

However, if they're unwilling to create fantasy stages, or any without visiting the venue first (as they have done for all existing locations), then the amount of time and cost involved would be huge.

I hope something can be done in future (without mirroring) :)

I agree that more stages is better than more rallies. A whole new locale requires new textures, surfaces, models, etc, etc. Whereas adding more stages to the existing rallies would be easier because they've already done a lot of that hard work. I really do hope they give us more than 6 locales though.

I'll go as far as saying they should do a kickstarter for new stages/locations. That would def show the top dogs at CM if there is enough interest and it's worth the effort or not.

Come on! To be honest that's a very bad idea! Why should we buy for something we could have got for free?
Now there is a poll and if it's successful CM will do it, what I mean is that they maybe would not do this without this poll and the content we would get then with the DLC would be free!

That's just not a realistic way to look at it. Content costs money to produce. They will have budgeted for X content, which is what we will receive throughout Early Access. Further content would require further capital, and that would be reclaimed by selling it at a cost to cover the expense of its creation.

So if you would want more after the end of EA, DLC is a very fair way to do that. We already know no key content has been cut out, so it would just be more depth to the game.

I'm totally cool with supporting the company with paid DLC. I want to see new maps and cars from the company and all that costs money.

However I'd like to see any car additions be free, but I'd be happy to pay for more RallyX tracks and rally maps.

That's just not a realistic way to look at it. Content costs money to produce. They will have budgeted for X content, which is what we will receive throughout Early Access. Further content would require further capital, and that would be reclaimed by selling it at a cost to cover the expense of its creation.

So if you would want more after the end of EA, DLC is a very fair way to do that. We already know no key content has been cut out, so it would just be more depth to the game.

There are just a handhalf (not even a handful) of games that I would agree to buy DLC to. DiRT Rally is one of them.

I'll be honest, I'd only pay for a DLC that offer not only new cars and stages, but also engine improvements, like being able to get longer, 15 minutes stages.

If not, I'd rather they focused their time in a new engine. I think that this is actually the most important dilema:

Extend the life of a game by releasing DLCs or developing a new engine for a better sim? Right now, knowing that we've reached the limit for stage length, I'd say lets start improving the engine to overcome these hinders...  :/

I'm *really* missing a Codies comment on this thread...

Yes to DLC cars, tracks, subscriptions whatever comes my way if the quality is this good. I am quite happy to do this with Iracing as the game is constantly updated, modernized and kept running smoothly because the money is there to pay professionals to do it. Think about the amount we pour into promising titles that are ultimately sub standard and poorly optimized, last a few weeks at best and are then discarded by user and developer. 

The developers at Dirt Rally are showing commitment, honesty, professionalism and passion in their handling of this project and are a credit to the gaming industry. Well done!

If the full game will feature like 12 rallies with 8 stages (exluding reverse) and ca 30 rally cars I would pay for extra tracks and cars.

CobraGamer, you won't get anything for free. They can either stop after early-access with only 6 locations, or we  can pay a little extra after the full release (early next year) to bulk up the content.

Companies don't employ people to sit around for months working on quality content for free.

A rally game that would introduce rallies in DLC, that would be a bit weird. Like a football game that would require you to pay for more stadium. I have no issue with cars being included in DLC, though (among other things to cover licensing).

While they should definitely deliver the content the promised PLUS MORE for free, I have no problem supporting the game further than it would have gone otherwise. More keen for new tracks than cars though, perhaps cars should be free and tracks paid or vice versa?

You get what you pay for, and $30 was extremely good value for what I got in this game, so I don't mind paying more if it's quality stuff.

A rally game that would introduce rallies in DLC, that would be a bit weird. Like a football game that would require you to pay for more stadium. I have no issue with cars being included in DLC, though (among other things to cover licensing).
What a bizarre post.  Cars take, what, a few days at most to create?  The stages must take months!  We already have an amazing selection of cars in this game, it's the environments to drive them on that make the game.  I'd gladly pay for more environments after release and if the studio needs extra cash flow as the incentive to do this, that's fine by me.

So we just passed 100 votes for the 'yes to anything' campaign, out of 150 total (of which a further 25+ would be up for buying more stages).

I can't think I've ever seen a game where such a percentage has been in favour of paid-for DLC apart from games that were made with this in mind (ARMA series).

There was a really interesting thread on Steam in which someone asked what could be done to make a persuasive case for adding more content in future and I'd like to think this could go some way to being an indicator of demand.

Sure, it's a relatively small and biased subsection of users using this forum, but it's populated by those that love to complain often as much as those who gush praise, so I'd think that a huge number of those who have given glowing reviews on Steam but never felt the need to visit this corner of the forum would echo this support too.

I'd love to see Dirt Rally as a platform, with years of continued support
DLC are destroying every game these days... its all just about
infinite profit, profit, profit, profit, profit, profit, profit,profit, profit,profit,profit

m0LN4r said:
I'd love to see Dirt Rally as a platform, with years of continued support
DLC are destroying every game these days... its all just about
infinite profit, profit, profit, profit, profit, profit, profit,profit, profit,profit,profit
Not criticising your view, but trying to understand. Isn't that contradictory? You can't expect years of ongoing support without them having the opportunity to fund it, right?

Agreed, as sick as I am of hearing about the special mini DLC options for games, I would totally hand over my hard earned cash for an expansion to this game, and I already paid for the base game.