DIRT 5 - Chat about the game and get support here. Read more... ×

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DLC: Would you be in favour?

One other thing that has given DLC a bad name... exclusive this or that. "Preorder Exclusive", " Logitech Exclusive", "NVidea Exclusive" and the like. Make it available to everyone or don't bother please.

I'm in agreement 100% with the above post though; I work for money and I'll happily trade some forfor more work of this quality after initial release.

I'm all in for more content after the early access has run out. Modding seems to be limited to skins only basically, so DLCs are the "necessary evil" to make the game last longer, however...

... and however indeed, with the statement that Codies most likely won't release DLCs and the general approach to the game (slightly updated Ego engine, not a new version for example) all points that DiRT Rally is just a stepping stone towards something... truly epic. But that is something for a completely separate topic.

I cannot believe that so many people are for DLC.
First off I would like to say that I feel very strongly against it in general for the following reasons. 

1: It is a part of something I have already bought whether it was there from the start or added. I don't want to pay twice (or more).
2: It creates a split in the community. The one side has money to spend and therefore DLC; Content that the other side doesn't have access to. This is seen in games such as Battlefield and many other AAA titles with season passes etc.
3: It is not supportive of a healthy community. 

I see a lot of people using the argument that if it weren't for DLC, we would get less content as there would not be as much funding availablefor more. This is plainly short sighted. Money can be made in other ways than charging for every addition that are also supportive of the community.
This is achieved through actual game sales and not sales of DLCs, micro transactions and season passes. 

The best example that I can give to date is Insurgency. I don't like bringing up names of other games but its the easiest way to explain.
Insurgency has been so successful because they have been extremely community friendly:
1: All their DLCs are free,
2: Constant updates,
3: No micro transactions and
4: Modding support.

This makes the game more attractive to other people and the community grows exponentially. This leads to sales which are..... BOOM.... profits to fund further development.

If Dirt Rally adopts this; releases free updates that constantly add stages, cars and features, it all of a sudden becomes a lot more attractive for a wider range of people to buy. They wont be thinking: "Oh yay, Im going to get X amount of hours out of this and then I have to spend X amount of money to get X more hours out of it", but rather "If I buy this, I'll get new content for free on a regular basis and don't have to sell my soul away for X amount per Location/Car". 

Which do you think people will buy more?
Which do you think players will recommend to their friends more?
Which do you think will have a stronger community?

Its a choice between what is easy in the short run, and what is better in the long run. 

Ps: I would not mind micro transactions in the form of different paintjobs for cars etc, however only IF we would be able to mod paints ourselves too.

We can already mod and customise 'paint'

You cannot compare FPS's to essentially an offline game, you may or may not be of the generation where DLC has been the only thing, where you didn't live through the expansion pack stage.

I agree with your FPS comments, they prove out to separate the community, but that's because the maps are relied upon, there is nothing in DR that would be affected the same way.  DLC is a term being used here as it's most likely going to be downloaded, it would be an expansion pack which people have always been happy to pay for.  Remember that some content can be a lot easier/quicker/cheaper to produce than others.  I think we all know the hard work required to get stages into the game can not be free.

Don't think of DLC here as the monetised and monopolised crap that a lot of games are using to hold back original content at release, we're literally talking about expanding upon the complete game.

I've already invested in wheel just because of DR so why wouldn't I invest more into something so astonishing just to have even more awesomeness!

And with that, we now have 200 votes! 

85% in favour of some sort of DLC, with 66% of people who would be interested in new cars and 83% of folks who would buy new stages.

OK, the poll's percentages don't quite add up, but still, that's an overwhelming support for the concept.

Pioy said:
No, no, and no. I paid once, I was told to get full game content for that money, why should I pay now again for some "extra" features that game just should contain?
You have the game now.

So if Dirt Rally 2 was released, with all new cars & locations, would you buy the 'new game' for the additional content?  If yes, then it's no different to DLC

i know I would buy it

We're not talking about stuff that already exists, or stuff that would otherwise be included.

We ARE talking about content that would otherwise never exist without further funding; an "expansion pack" if you will, to "expand" on the original game.

expansion pack !!!! call me old but i declare everything else as a rip off ...
i don't mind paying more in fact i will gladly pay something like the game price again for a PROPER expansion. we all know this is gonna happen anyway (dlc) so think the poll is pointless really :)
and dlc will suit this game BUT
i will never vote for it.
i just hate dlc in general.... 

rødelyn said:
i don't mind paying more in fact i will gladly pay something like the game price again for a PROPER expansion. we all know this is gonna happen anyway (dlc) so think the poll is pointless really :)
DLC = Expansion pack in this regard, it's also just the modern name for expansion packs, though these days, is used to encompass small things.

rødelyn said:
DLC = Expansion pack in this regard, it's also just the modern name for expansion packs, though these days, is used to encompass small things.
i don't agree with you there....  if you release something and call it and expansion it will include and be expected to include more than just a skin ore something stupid like that...
DLC= can be anything most likely a small upgrade.
expansion = a expansion of the game itself ...

Yes to DLC - tracks/stages only
----------------
This.
Although saying that, i would be willing to pay for "car packs" too, just to support the guys. :)

What i absolutely would NOT pay for is "Skin packs(liveries)".
For me, that doesn't add anything to the game - same stages, same cars - nothing new.!!

paulieGTR said:
----------------
This.
Although saying that, i would be willing to pay for "car packs" too, just to support the guys. :)

For me, that doesn't add anything to the game - same stages, same cars - nothing new.!!

Question, I feel the same, but if they include new skins for other cars, would you see that as a bonus or do you feel that you are now paying for both?  

gfRally said:
paulieGTR said:
----------------
This.

Question, I feel the same, but if they include new skins for other cars, would you see that as a bonus or do you feel that you are now paying for both?  
Yes and No. :)

1st and foremost i'd pay for a car pack.
Now if they decided to include/add some skins, then fair enough, i would see that as a bonus(and i'd thank them for it).

What i wouldn't pay for is a skin pack, or a skin pack dressed as a car pack(ie. more skins than actual cars).

If they had made enough revenue from the "car pack".??
Then i would have no prob's in them giving away the skins(that were included) to the folks that maybe
couldn't have afforded to pay for the car pack.

Sounds fair, I can agree with that - I wouldn't pay specifically for skins either, but for any rally cars or stages I'm all game. I can't imagine they try to sell skins anyway.

A marketeer will tell u are leaving money on the table by not selling DLC.
So if its about money? The question is, how u do the DLC.
----
I am backing the game because its the best rally driving experience since RBR, i believe in it.
They can have my money for now to develop the game further, finetune it, remove glitches... not to develop DLC.
Is it not to early to talk about DLC while game is still in early access?
-
I suggest DLC would be just cosmetic like skins and music.
Maybe cars if it is not to much money, but pls no tracks or game modes.
Let everybody enjoy all the content of this great game and make some money extra in clever ways.
I took a lot of effort in making some personal skins (real retro skins are even harder to do) so skinpacks are worth something guys, so is music.
And these are not negative additions for people who dont own the DLC.
Do what Blizzard and League of Legends and so many others do,  DLC = cosmetic (skins, backgrounds, music...)

Again, as another poster stated, you're talking about games where you need a level playing field, therefore it matters if some have it, and some don't.

In the case of essentially an offline game, it's not a factor, there is no advantage someone who has another stage environment would have, over someone who didn't buy the expansion.

Don't assume that even though EA is kind of funded by our purchases, it doesn't mean that expansions need to be, the proof of concept, therefore a funding question, has already been answered.

So you don't mind paying for DLC as long as it's music, skins or cars.

Why would you say you don't want tracks when in another DLC post here:
Jeeve79 said:
Wider multiplayer long stages would be epic fun !

paulieGTR said:
So you don't mind paying for DLC as long as it's music, skins or cars.

Why would you say you don't want tracks when in another DLC post here:
Jeeve79 said:
Wider multiplayer long stages would be epic fun !

Because confused about what DLC/expansions do to games these days.

If Codies are prepared to spend time, money and resources to create additional contents for this game which add something new, then I am prepared to purchase this additional content. The only decision I need to make is if I think it is good value for me to part with my money. For example, charge £10 for a new rally and 4 new cars then I am interested. Charge £10 for a couple car skins and 1 stage then no thank you. It's like buying a drill, it will come with some drill bits but if I need extra drills then I have to buy them.

Hi everyone. Like you see I was voted on YES for DLC - cars and tracks.

Now I have some idea.
When Codies realeased v0.3 of game, they're promised that they will add new content, until game reach version 1.0. We can't be sure what do will happen next. One of my biggest worries is that they will abandon this game and start to work on next one (maybe event DiRT Rally 2). But to be honest - I don't want DiRT Rally 2 in near future. I (and probably not only me) want just more content to DiRT Rally.

So if I can suggest anything to Codies - please don't start making of DR2. After release of v1.0 you should start to work on next updates until v2.0. And because you've done so well fulfilling your promises about game developement until it reaches v1.0, I'm agree to pay next 30€ for next updates until game development reaches v2.0. What after that? We will see. But for now i think you made game so good, that it's just deserve to get more content and updates, even if you need more money do make it.

snip...

Linus27uk said:
Charge £10 for a couple car skins and 1 stage then no thank you.
+1...
snip...

Miczelov said:
 I'm agree to pay next 30€ for next updates until game development reaches v2.0. What after that? We will see. But for now i think you made game so good, that it's just deserve to get more content and updates, even if you need more money do make it.
+1...

If they add another 2 long stages for the 6 rallies(incl. Sweden) that we'll have.
Then np's, i don't mind paying another 30 bucks for that even if no new cars are included.

The thing i would look forward to the most, is new stages and not necessarily new environments.
Like i  said... i have np's paying them 30 bucks for another set of stages.
This would give us 4 long + Reversed, equalling 8 long stages per country.

Number of stages wise... this for me is the place where Dirt Rally is lacking the most(with respect of'cos).