Jump to content Jump to content

Race starts are ruining my experience with Codemasters' games

Maverick89CL

Hello everyone!

So...I tried assisted starts, manual starts, F1, F2, warming tyres perfectly during formation lap, mid rpms, low rpms, high rpms, accelerating slightly, going full gas straight away... I trying following guides, YouTube tutorials...

NO MATTER WHAT my starts always suck and 4-5 cars minimum are guaranteed to overtake me, and the only way to regain at least a couple of positions is to divebomb at first corner, more often than not resulting in a crash and in a subsequent flashback.

I use manual gears with a Thrustmaster T150, and medium TC. I cannot say in which aspect I struggle the most, just because I never experienced a start where I haven't struggled! What I can tell you, by the replays, is that ALL cars but mine produce a lot of smoke from the wheels at the start, I dunno if that's relevant.

Please help, I also tried to practice a lot in quick GP mode, but no matter what I do the result is always the same. Guess there's not much point in practicing when I just don't know how to do it properly. At the moment I am at the end of an F2 championship, switched back to assisted starts which are lame AF but at least I usually lose just 1-2 positions instead of 5.

P.S. I haven't tried to play with the ERS/Overtake settings as I'm doing a career and, as I mentioned, still in F2, but I had the same issue in F1 2019 and 2019.

Thank you.

1 hour ago, Maverick89CL said:

Hello everyone!

So...I tried assisted starts, manual starts, F1, F2, warming tyres perfectly during formation lap, mid rpms, low rpms, high rpms, accelerating slightly, going full gas straight away... I trying following guides, YouTube tutorials...

NO MATTER WHAT my starts always suck and 4-5 cars minimum are guaranteed to overtake me, and the only way to regain at least a couple of positions is to divebomb at first corner, more often than not resulting in a crash and in a subsequent flashback.

I use manual gears with a Thrustmaster T150, and medium TC. I cannot say in which aspect I struggle the most, just because I never experienced a start where I haven't struggled! What I can tell you, by the replays, is that ALL cars but mine produce a lot of smoke from the wheels at the start, I dunno if that's relevant.

Please help, I also tried to practice a lot in quick GP mode, but no matter what I do the result is always the same. Guess there's not much point in practicing when I just don't know how to do it properly. At the moment I am at the end of an F2 championship, switched back to assisted starts which are lame AF but at least I usually lose just 1-2 positions instead of 5.

P.S. I haven't tried to play with the ERS/Overtake settings as I'm doing a career and, as I mentioned, still in F2, but I had the same issue in F1 2019 and 2019.

Thank you.

I don't have enough experience on F2 so I can't really say anything about it, but in F1 it shouldn't be a problem in this game if you actually warmed your tires. I actually found it too easy to beat Ai off the line that I started purposely skipping formation lap so I have cool tires to struggle through the first lap(s), yet it's still too easy in most cases because the Ai are just so bad when stuck in a pack of cars.

1 hour ago, DRT-Apophis said:

I don't have enough experience on F2 so I can't really say anything about it, but in F1 it shouldn't be a problem in this game if you actually warmed your tires. I actually found it too easy to beat Ai off the line that I started purposely skipping formation lap so I have cool tires to struggle through the first lap(s), yet it's still too easy in most cases because the Ai are just so bad when stuck in a pack of cars.

Manual or assisted starts?

I'll see if I still struggle once I reach F1.

Any help is still appreciated, though.

3 hours ago, zZ A M P Aa said:

Practice your race starts in time trial.

The car is at its maximum performance in TT. So if you can nail starts there you can nail them anywhere.

Practice.

Unfortunately I would have no way to understand whether the start is good or not, as there are no other cars around me.

13 hours ago, Maverick89CL said:

Hello everyone!

Thank you.

Assist the Tutorials from Pj Tierney here and you will understand property how to be a master in starts

He is our King of the good lessons and advices 😀😀

Practice helps -- a good way to practice is to setup a race weekend at Mexico (where you have a very long straight on the start) and then start and restart and restart the race over and over and over again.

Try pulling up the temperature panel on the MFD just before the lights go out.  You don't want to see the surface temps on the rear going yellow--if that's happening you're just spinning the rear tires.

I think my starts are almost always ok-to-good, and very rarely either bad or great.  The typical start is one where I hold position off the line, and maybe make up a spot if I can position my car in a good place going into Turn 1.  The reason my starts are never bad is because I never spin the rears, and the reason they're never great is because I don't push the limits on available traction (precisely because my first priority is to not spin the rears). 

Generally speaking

1. Waiting for five red lights:  I know by the sound of the engine where to hold the throttle -- it's just past the edge of the point where the RPM lights light up.  (I race in cockpit view and don't view the RPMs).  This is something you can figure out with some practice;
  2. When the lights go out:  Dump the clutch and almost simultaneously shift into 2nd gear--I shift into 2nd before I start applying more throttle;
  3. Second phase:  Short shift from 2nd to 3rd and also a bit of a short shift from 3rd to 4th.  Once in 4th, and when I'm confident I have good traction, I hit the overtake button and up the fuel to rich mix.  

FWIW some people like to hit the overtake button and up the mix to rich before the lights go out.  I don't see the point in that as you're limited by traction and not power in the early phase, but maybe that's just me.  Also, I've experimented with starting out in lean mix off the line but I don't find any advantage in that.

On 11/11/2020 at 3:40 PM, svensenk86 said:

Do you use Overtake and heavy fuel mix? 

This year starts are easier I find,in 2019 I lost positions always. Now i gain 1 or 2.

When first started the game the starts were easy always making places of the line and of not kept my starting position . Im half way threw S3 now the car is near enough 3 quarters upgraded and o have been loosing a lot of places off the line over the past few races . I'm at Monza at min had a wet quali so free tyre choice I've done over 25 starts on that track . And everyone no matter the tyre I'm dropping from 2nd to 10th off the line every single time no matter what settings I have . I play with medium TC I've tried no TC and that is worse . I haven't tried with full TC . But my 3rd season my starts have been awful compared to first 2 seasons . Also my last season o was at Monza I played on 99 diff competitively . Were this season any higher than 95 I can't keep up .and I have a new engine components . Just can't figure out how I've become so bad at starts all of a sudden and having to lower difficulty 

On 11/12/2020 at 9:32 PM, stephen31416 said:

Practice helps -- a good way to practice is to setup a race weekend at Mexico (where you have a very long straight on the start) and then start and restart and restart the race over and over and over again.

Try pulling up the temperature panel on the MFD just before the lights go out.  You don't want to see the surface temps on the rear going yellow--if that's happening you're just spinning the rear tires.

I think my starts are almost always ok-to-good, and very rarely either bad or great.  The typical start is one where I hold position off the line, and maybe make up a spot if I can position my car in a good place going into Turn 1.  The reason my starts are never bad is because I never spin the rears, and the reason they're never great is because I don't push the limits on available traction (precisely because my first priority is to not spin the rears). 

Generally speaking

1. Waiting for five red lights:  I know by the sound of the engine where to hold the throttle -- it's just past the edge of the point where the RPM lights light up.  (I race in cockpit view and don't view the RPMs).  This is something you can figure out with some practice;
  2. When the lights go out:  Dump the clutch and almost simultaneously shift into 2nd gear--I shift into 2nd before I start applying more throttle;
  3. Second phase:  Short shift from 2nd to 3rd and also a bit of a short shift from 3rd to 4th.  Once in 4th, and when I'm confident I have good traction, I hit the overtake button and up the fuel to rich mix.  

FWIW some people like to hit the overtake button and up the mix to rich before the lights go out.  I don't see the point in that as you're limited by traction and not power in the early phase, but maybe that's just me.  Also, I've experimented with starting out in lean mix off the line but I don't find any advantage in that.

I turn the fuel to lean for start then once into 3 rd 4th gear turn fuel to normal and hit the over take button . That worked perfect for me the first 2 seasons . But like mentioned in comment my 3 rd season and I have lost of the line every time . I've noticed over the last few races 

Look, I think I am reading correctly, but you say you tried F2, F1, etc and it didn´t work, but later on you say your problems are in F2 cars and you will test how it goes once you get to F1.

I am not an excellent player at all but I consider my starts at F1 cars are at least very decent (against the IA at 102/104 or in online lobbys in racing leagues). I dont usually lost several positions, I generally win 1 or 2 just following the advices so many good people give in this forum and all over youtube and twitch.

BUT, and here comes my main point of this post, I find extremely hard the race starts at F2 cars when you are playing against the IA. It is just horrible, you just can´t get the car under the necessary grip, usually struggle a lot until get to 3rd or 4th gear and full throtle, while the IA seems to just start the race at maximum traction and speed and 5 or 6 cars just eat you alive. I understand it being super hard as F2 cars are probably much more sensitive with traction and aerodynamics as they are not as optimal as F1 cars, but what makes the experience really bad is the IA not having any kind of problems and leaving you under so many disadventage at the start of the races.

So, based on my experience (I played 2 full F2 seasons bc I find those car really fun to play with, and I just started another My career in the F2 car aswell) a person just can´t match the IA at the race starts if he is playing F2 cars. Believe me, once you get to F1, you will feel so much competitive.

6 hours ago, PaulLynch said:

When first started the game the starts were easy always making places of the line and of not kept my starting position . Im half way threw S3 now the car is near enough 3 quarters upgraded and o have been loosing a lot of places off the line over the past few races . I'm at Monza at min had a wet quali so free tyre choice I've done over 25 starts on that track . And everyone no matter the tyre I'm dropping from 2nd to 10th off the line every single time no matter what settings I have . I play with medium TC I've tried no TC and that is worse . I haven't tried with full TC . But my 3rd season my starts have been awful compared to first 2 seasons . Also my last season o was at Monza I played on 99 diff competitively . Were this season any higher than 95 I can't keep up .and I have a new engine components . Just can't figure out how I've become so bad at starts all of a sudden and having to lower difficulty 

The difficulty will increase season by season because the other teams starts to improving aswell their cars.. i am currently in my 6th season and I am enjoying so much.. I am equally as a Mercedes in Performance stats and in Pace comparison in all the weekends and I had been in good fights for wins.. the Alpha Tauri and Redbull Racing are near to us so it's a extremely competitive season this specific for me.. speaking about the race starts fortunately I haven't any problems with that.. i can start 1st and hold my position or I can start in 2nd place and I can fight for the lead

On 11/11/2020 at 9:00 AM, Maverick89CL said:

Hello everyone!

Thank you.

Hey i can help. First of all, you should have manual starts on. 

At the start of the race before the 5 red lights go out, you should hold the clutch and keep the revs at 11000-12000 revs (11500 is ideal) or 9500-10000 in the rain.

THE MOST IMPORTANT PART: When the 5 red lights go out, immediately release the clutch but DO NOT slam on the gas. Instead slowly increase the throttle and as you do, short shift into 2nd or 3rd gear. Remember that before the race start you should be on the Medium ERS mode and Rich mix. Then when you get up to speed turn on Overtake because its much faster and it will help you overtake the other cars. Watch the vid which PJ Tierney posted (I think you already have) and practice a lot in Grand Prix mode 

13 hours ago, PaulLynch said:

How far have you upgraded your aero and chassis. I think that they (especially chassis) are more useful then the engine department when it comes to getting off the line. A light car helps to get a better launch of the line and the engine and aero do most of the work in the second stage which is when you get to full speed. AND REMEMBER, IN THE DRY KEEP THE REVS AT 11000-12000 (THE BEST IS 11500) AND IN THE WET 9500-10500. RELEASE THE CLUTCH AS SOON AS THE RED LIGHTS GO OFF. THEN SLOWLY INCREASE THE THROTTLE. REMEMBER THAT BEFORE THE RED LIGHTS GO OFF YOU SHOULD BE IN RICH MIX AND MEDIUM ERS. Then when you get to full speed change into overtake ers mode. hOpE tHiS hElPs

On 11/18/2020 at 1:15 AM, IneedToPlayGame said:

How far have you upgraded your aero and chassis. I think that they (especially chassis) are more useful then the engine department when it comes to getting off the line. A light car helps to get a better launch of the line and the engine and aero do most of the work in the second stage which is when you get to full speed. AND REMEMBER, IN THE DRY KEEP THE REVS AT 11000-12000 (THE BEST IS 11500) AND IN THE WET 9500-10500. RELEASE THE CLUTCH AS SOON AS THE RED LIGHTS GO OFF. THEN SLOWLY INCREASE THE THROTTLE. REMEMBER THAT BEFORE THE RED LIGHTS GO OFF YOU SHOULD BE IN RICH MIX AND MEDIUM ERS. Then when you get to full speed change into overtake ers mode. hOpE tHiS hElPs

Hi yeah my chassis is 6 upgrades from been fully upgraded . Have the best chassis on performance chart . Level with Merc . Same for engine as well . As far as aero goes I haven't put as much into that 6 th fastest I think .I have no plans on focusing on the aero too much as I'm trying to design a car that is good on high speed tracks . And average on high downforce . . In the hopes it keeps the title fight alive and to add a big of variability to the game . The only things I upgraded in aero is to do with the drag and drs for better straight line speed . Also one minor upgrade in aero could put is from 6th too 2nd in chart . Bit I want to have some tracks where the car isn't the strongest . Thanks for the info I'll try it next I'm on it 

Archived