Jump to content Jump to content

Qualifying harder compound

Why is there no possibility to qualify on the harder compound this years game? I know it was available in the previous games. When I select the harder tire option at the tyre allocation preference I dont get a set of hard tires for the qualifying session. But if I do choose softer they give me an extra set of soft tires instead of the medium. So I expect when I choose the harder option that I get an extra set of hard compound tires to use in the qualifying session

I'm sure it was possibile in the previous game and I wonder why it isn't anymore. So I wonder if this is a bug or is it on purpose?

Thanks.

16 hours ago, svensenk86 said:

Verstappen did it this season, so it should be possible here as well.

Which tyre choice you chose before the race week? Maybe if you choose HARD mix, maybe then you have 1 available for qualy

He did, but only because the soft tyres couldn't complete a single quali lap so everyone was using medium tyres. So in the end he was using only one compound harder than the others. He wouldn't have been able to do it if the soft tyres could actually survive a lap.

It is possible to qualify on harder tyres I have done it, you always get an extra set of softs for Q3 but these are then removed at the end of the session. 

If you are in the top ten then the tyre you do your fastest lap in q2 should be the tyre you start on.  outside the top 10 you get to start on whatever tyre you want.

Edited by drb1965
1 hour ago, drb1965 said:

It is possible to qualify on harder tyres I have done it, you always get an extra set of softs for Q3 but these are then removed at the end of the session. 

If you are in the top ten then the tyre you do your fastest lap in q2 should be the tyre you start on.  outside the top 10 you get to start on whatever tyre you want.

But you are not able to choose the Hard tire in q2. Maximum ist the Medium tire. That is what the thread is about.

• Administrator

HI @Hooy K,

On this, qualifying on the hards would take a pretty extreme circumstance for this to be a viable strategy in game, especially when the aim of the game is to have close competition with other players/AI.

Although this has happened this season, its a very odd season with a lot of irregularities. People qualified on the hards not because of the tactical advantage, but because of the wear of these tyres at certain tracks, when these tracks would've had their usual race at a different time of year. As we run with the official calendar for the 2020 season, realistically, it would have been very unlikely you would have seen the Hardest tyre used in a Qualifying session in the real calendar, so we did not add this in.

• Thanks 1
  • Agree 1
29 minutes ago, BarryBL said:

HI @Hooy K,

On this, qualifying on the hards would take a pretty extreme circumstance for this to be a viable strategy in game, especially when the aim of the game is to have close competition with other players/AI.

Although this has happened this season, its a very odd season with a lot of irregularities. People qualified on the hards not because of the tactical advantage, but because of the wear of these tyres at certain tracks, when these tracks would've had their usual race at a different time of year. As we run with the official calendar for the 2020 season, realistically, it would have been very unlikely you would have seen the Hardest tyre used in a Qualifying session in the real calendar, so we did not add this in.

You are right it would take an extreme circumstance, but it still should be an option avalaible in the game. I saw a lot of league races in Singapore (to give an example of a track where qualify and therefore start the race in soft would almost kill your chances of a good result) where abosulutely everyone make their best lap with the medium tyres. And it is really a smart move in that situation. In this kind of circumstances it would be good if a pretty dominant driver can choose to do that qualy in hards and grab a good advantage over the rest of the grid, but the game doesnt allow it