Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

[Xbox] Very long or infinite loading screens when loading into GP, TT

Description: Sometimes when loading into a session, a very long (~5-10 minutes) or infinite loading screen occurs. Once I waited more than 15 minutes before quitting the game.

Platform: Xbox Series X || Xbox One X

Game version: 1.12, 1.13, 1.14, 1.17, 1.18

Game mode: Grand Prix, Time Trial

How to replicate issue: Load into GP or TT. It seems that in TT, changing tracks repeatedly increases the chances of this occurring. In one play session, it happened every time I switched tracks ~3 times in a row without exiting TT mode. In this case, it was usually a long (~5-10 minutes) loading screen. It might have something to do with the online services, as I don't recall encountering this issue the few times I've played offline.

Workaround: -

Peripherals: Xbox Series X controller || Xbox One X controller

Report code - Xbox Series X: JAMV-VVSJ-XSTV-CHJG

Report code - Xbox Series X - 1.14: EVDG-CGCC-SVPR-GJDG

Report code - Xbox Series X - 1.17: HPAT-RGMJ-DHRB-JEJG

Edited by Aparow3

Posted (edited)

This is still happening on 1.14.

Updated the OP with more details and a new report code for 1.14.

Edited by Aparow3

Posted (edited)

This is still happening on 1.17. I get a very long loading screen (5-10 minutes) every time I switch tracks ~2-4 times during the same TT session.

Updated the OP with a report code for 1.17.

Edited by Aparow3

Posted (edited)

The very same issue happens for me as well  (PS4 version 1.17)

Edited by amitdash291

I have PS4 and it happens to me on the Azerbaijan and Abudabi maps. Please a solution now.

I will attempt to replicate on PC to see if it is truly cross platform or just console specific.

9 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

I will attempt to replicate on PC to see if it is truly cross platform or just console specific.

18 hours ago, ikerardi said:

I have PS4 and it happens to me on the Azerbaijan and Abudabi maps. Please a solution now.

@Aparow3 @ikerardi Can you give more details on how to replicate, i.e with video, as I can't replicate this.

I've noticed it only happens if you change the track, not (only) the car or weather conditions. For example, I went though all the tracks to make a setup change on all of them and then save them with the correct location. So: load into Australia, load setup, change setup, save setup, load into Bahrain and repeat until the last track. I usually spent half a minute in the garage between 2 loads. Doing this for all the tracks was enough to trigger the long loads 5-6 times, so instead of needing half an hour to go through all of them, it took almost a full hour.

Sometime after this I decided to make another change, but instead of going through all the tracks in the dry and then in the wet (and changing tracks at every load), I did both dry and wet at the same track and then changed to the next one. This way, the long loads did not happen, so it seems that it has something to do with changing tracks multiple times in a row and / or how quick (how little time you spend in the session before) you change tracks.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, Aparow3 said:

I've noticed it only happens if you change the track, not (only) the car or weather conditions. For example, I went though all the tracks to make a setup change on all of them and then save them with the correct location. So: load into Australia, load setup, change setup, save setup, load into Bahrain and repeat until the last track. I usually spent half a minute in the garage between 2 loads. Doing this for all the tracks was enough to trigger the long loads 5-6 times, so instead of needing half an hour to go through all of them, it took almost a full hour.

Sometime after this I decided to make another change, but instead of going through all the tracks in the dry and then in the wet (and changing tracks at every load), I did both dry and wet at the same track and then changed to the next one. This way, the long loads did not happen, so it seems that it has something to do with changing tracks multiple times in a row and / or how quick (how little time you spend in the session before) you change tracks.

Again, will try to replicate to see if this is a console (or individual) problem rather than cross-platform.

Posted (edited)

I got again by doing the same thing as I described above. The easiest way to replicate it is to just load into a TT session and immediately go and change the track a few times. Also, make sure your console is online, as it might have something to do with "communicating with online services" or "downloading content".

Edited by Aparow3

4 hours ago, Aparow3 said:

I got again by doing the same thing as I described above. The easiest way to replicate it is to just load into a TT session and immediately go and change the track a few times. Also, make sure your console is online, as it might have something to do with "communicating with online services" or "downloading content".

Still can't replicate. Looks like it's console specific or individual issues.

Posted (edited)

I don't have any capture device, so I can't record more than 1 minute or whatever is the limit on Xbox. The best I could do is to clip it when it loads significantly longer than the 2-3 seconds it usually takes on XSX, but I don't see how that would help. The behaviour is what I've described above.

Edited by Aparow3

1 hour ago, Aparow3 said:

I don't have any capture device, so I can't record more than 1 minute or whatever is the limit on Xbox. The best I could do is to clip it when it loads significantly longer than the 2-3 seconds it usually takes on XSX, but I don't see how that would help. The behaviour is what I've described above.

Then in the face of a lack of similar reports, try the basic troubleshooting steps for connectivity and game install or storage issues.

Moved to Systems and Connectivity.

Maybe it's worth mentioning that I still have the game installed on my older Xbox One X, where it does the same thing.

Posted (edited)

PS4 Pro and I have the same problem but is it not track specific for me.  I go to TT after startup from being off or from rest mode, do a few laps, don't not change tracks or anything, normal exit, to main menu, it locks up in a loop trying to load or talk to the network . Shutting it down and restarting seems to be the only thing to do.   I only play against the AI.  What I have noticed, if you are in TT go back to garage to adjust setup, the game always tries to download the high scores and many times it will not connect for that.  I typically do not care where I rank so I keep playing in TT but when I try to exit TT, it goes in the the download or connection loops.  Wifi connection, latest PS and F1 2020 SW updates and only F1 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 on the PS.  T-150 Wheel.  PS Network test always shows a minimum 70 Mbps download and 5 Mbps upload speeds.  Type 2 PS Network connection. I have even run the PS Network Test in the middle of the games loops and the connection is all good.

If the disk is required to be in the PS4 to play the game, why does it even have to access anything outside of the game in the first place?

It appears to me that  every time I go from Career Mode to My Team to TT it always wants to communicate to something not on the PS.  I get that security for the download version of the game but makes no sense if multiplayer or online options are not used.  

Not sure how to record any this this either, nor received any error codes, just the loops.

Hope my bit of info will assist in troubleshooting this issue.

Edited by jpr3324

Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, jpr3324 said:

If the disk is required to be in the PS4 to play the game, why does it even have to access anything outside of the game in the first place?

My understanding is that once the game is installed the disc simply acts as a form of licence key to confirm you can legitimately play the game. No data is actively being transferred from it, so the practical situation is no different to a digital purchase. Which is not to say there is an obvious need for the game to communicate with the wider world but rather this is a choice made by the developer. I've never tried this but what happens if you disconnect your console from the internet completely and try to play the game?

FWIW I have never experienced the issues described above on either PS4 and PS5, and I've probably used TT more than any other game mode. My suspicion is that it's fundamentally a local internet connectivity issue for a few players that is the cause of the issues being discussed in this thread. If it were a widespread issue there would surely be far more posts about this.

Edited by Ultra3142
  • Agree 1

"I've never tried this but what happens if you disconnect your console from the internet completely and try to play the game?"

The game will try to connect to the internet a few times then eventually give up or the time it spends trying to connect is greatly reduced.  However, it has always done that since I stared playing with F12017.  

I've just got this on 1.18 while loading into GP mode. I've quit the game after ~15 minutes of loading. When I started it again, the GP session that I was loading into was not saved.

Edited by Aparow3

On 5/4/2021 at 4:06 PM, Aparow3 said:

I've just got this on 1.18 while loading into GP mode. I've quit the game after ~15 minutes of loading. When I started it again, the GP session that I was loading into was not saved.

As before, this would appear to be a connectivity (or account) issue as it can't be widely replicated.

What connectivity in GP mode? Is it not fully offline? Also, this seemingly random loading issue only happens on F1 2020. The older games never did it at all. The console I played on did not matter.

Edited by Aparow3

31 minutes ago, Aparow3 said:

What connectivity in GP mode? Is it not fully offline? Also, this seemingly random loading issue only happens on F1 2020. The older games never did it at all. The console I played on did not matter.

Then it's a storage or system issue. The fact remains loading into any game mode connects to Online Services where all your pass progress is stored. It's cached if you are disconnected but if there are connectivity problems then the attempt to sync will maybe lead to timeouts. 

I will say this one more time, it's not widely replicated. The issue is highly likely on your side. Try deliberately disconnecting from the internet and see if you get long loading. If you do, try troubleshooting the storage and system.

The podium pass connection causing the infinite loading in GP mode seems plausible. I set up a TT session and immediately after hitting "start session", I powered off the router. The game went on to load for about 30 seconds, which is a lot compared to the 2-3 seconds it usually takes, and almost immediately after going from "loading" to "please wait", it crashed, so both seemingly random issues triggered in one go. It seems 100% replicable.

I also did the same test with F1 2018 and F1 2019 and they were not affected at all, so it seems there is something specific to F1 2020 that breaks the loading and makes it crash if it looses connectivity during loading, at least on Xbox Series X.

Edited by Aparow3
  • Thanks 1