Sign in to follow this  

How important do you think Setup's will be?

With the new game coming out I noticed something new that we haven't had with Grid in the past and that is the ability to adjust the Handling of the car?
Do you think this will be important for running fast laps or more of a Driver comfort level. They are just sliders, but in F1 they make quite a bit of difference.

In the early races I don't think so because it looks like certainly in the inside sim racing vids the option to change things is pretty limited possibly later on once you move up into the bigger teams and higher tiers within each discipline it probably will become more important. But I think the first season or 2 in each discipline will be simply get in the car and drive type races.

I would personally have preferred no setups online.  That way everyone has the same car and it's all about the driver.

Ill try not to use them, I stopped using them in D3 as they just confused me and dont allow me to get used to the cars.
Ill wont be messing with them until others have experimented and found the allegedly better all round setups.
I hope they have been ballanced well, ie' if you up one thing it makes another noticebly worse so its best to stay on stock.

It looks like they're very similar to the ones in the Codie's Dirt Series.
So I think they'll be minimal adjustments that you can feel and make make you more comfy but I'm not sure how that'll affect handling.
Maybe @Britpoint‌ could get the car handling guys to write up a quick post and or blog for us. ?

gaski said:
I would personally have preferred no setups online.  That way everyone has the same car and it's all about the driver.
I agree, let driver skill win you the race, not because you got a better setup than the other guys racing online.

Purple44 said:
gaski said:
I agree, let driver skill win you the race, not because you got a better setup than the other guys racing online.

I agree too.

I like the option to setup the cars for a track, finding that last .5 of a second with a good setup is part of the fun for me.

The setup options are limited compared to an out and out sim so anyone who spends 10mins on track and playing with the options will figure out what works and what doesn't.

If there weren't glitched setups like it happens with Forza..., they would be important then.

People suck

I generally use the default setups as well I don't like playing around too much with settings plus racing AI generally you don't need to I don't think

I'm hoping they only make about maybe half a second of difference per lap, compared to the 'stock' setups.

I never really saw much difference in the setups on Dirt anyway, except for the gear ratios were perhaps a bit -too- extreme in difference because stock was too long, and one to the left was too short. Having not seen any comparison videos of what effects the tuning has, we can't really tell how much they even change anything.

... Needless to say I will probably be using short gears and a low ride-height, haha.

We've gone with a system where you won't see mass loads of difference in terms of time, they'll mostly be used for drivers to get the car feeling just how they like it.

Loore said:
We've gone with a system where you won't see mass loads of difference in terms of time, they'll mostly be used for drivers to get the car feeling just how they like it.
That sounds good.  Default setups aren't always fun and rewarding to use depending on your control method.  For example I generally find I have to use an understeer on a gamepad, but on a graduated wheel I can add setup oversteer as the saturation and linearity is so much better.

gaski said:
Which is why I have to disagree with this notion.  The same applies to rear brake bias for example, some drivers prefer to setup for 'go-kart' steering simply for their control method, others will prefer smooth and gradual control.
i use default setup too and when i am host online i will turn them off.... [-X
Spoilsport!  Tuning/performance enhancements fair enough, but not setup tweeks. :D

Loore said:
@Loore Would you say that Autosport is closer to the DIRT model in terms of setups or the F1 model? Both are simple and slider based.

The problem I have with setups is for the general public who aren't going to invest time in finding 'that setup' for 'that track'.  I will undoubtedly find those setups and make good use of them, but for longevity on the game, I fear most of the gaming public will become bored of being beaten and will blame car setups for it.

why is there setup in GRID Autosport? who said we want setup? im really sad about this^^

Loore said:
But the goal of settings are exactly for that, win some little time and make the difference with other players, like in real race...so if settings are just "cosmetic", why have put it on the game?

Why not simplify setups with quick-setup like in thé F1 games? You still would be able to "setup" the car like that. I am primarily a racer, not a tuner.

P308R said:
Why not simplify setups with quick-setup like in thé F1 games? You still would be able to "setup" the car like that. I am primarily a racer, not a tuner.

settings aer there if you want them you don't have to use them they're more for getting the car comfortable with your driving style it won't necessarily improve your times I think that's what @Loore is saying here it's the upgrades that the team gives you that wil give you any boosr in performance if anything assuming they do that is as different teams have different options I think

The F1 games aer different though as you have to prepare for the possibility of a change in weather as things like being sunny one minute and chucking it down the next can happen in those games and using the weather forecasts and you can plan accordingly. Autosport doesn't have a dynamic weather system so I don't think it'll be needed. Happened to me yesterday racing in Brazil unfortunately it cost me the race. I had planned for the wet weather as the game said 40% chance of rain but it didn't come till the second to last lap and I thought I could get to the end without it impacting me but I got it wrong still was a fun race though

From the lack of popularity of GRID2 and massive popularity of games such as Forza (hate to admit it) F1, Grand Tourismo, and any PC game, I would assume people want to the racing "experience" and setups are a big a part of that as, say, maps are to Battlefield. Otherwise, just go get a copy of Mario Kart.

From the lack of popularity of GRID2 and massive popularity of games such as Forza (hate to admit it) F1, Grand Tourismo, and any PC game, I would assume people want to the racing "experience" and setups are a big a part of that as, say, maps are to Battlefield. Otherwise, just go get a copy of Mario Kart.

yeah but Grid is more about the different styles of racing you can do though I think at least that's what attracts me to it plus it doesn't take itself too seriously as well which I consider to be a very good thing. I've played a number of sims over the years and some of them can be very hard indeed.

I like a sim feel but I don't like games where every car has got past me by the time I'm over the line to start my first lap which in some of the games they can be like. I like AI that challenges me but at the pace I go at. Plus game makers do need to bear in mind that not everybody knows how to setup a car for racing I struggle a bit with this myself as I generally pick one of the default ones in the F1 games. I just pick based on what track I'm on and what the weather is doing.

I think the fact that Grid 2's main problem for me was that is was to much arcade and not enough sim was it's  problem not so much whether you could play around with setups. Plus the career mode was too short and it looks like to me that Grid Autosport in that regard has answered both those questions with a positive answer and ticked both boxes. This is only based on the things I've seen thus far though and feedback given.