Jump to content Jump to content

Xbox Series X and F1 2020. Voice commands still simply don't exist! Codemasters will continue to blame Microsoft now?!

Honestly, I can't believe this. Even though the main menu doesn't show that Kinnect not detected and voice commands disabled bottom message, there's still no support for voice commands to use the radio on Xbox Series X.

For all these years, every single edition, people ask questions about this here and every time they blame Microsoft.

So what now? This is 2020. Next gen consoles are already here. Please, don't tell us we will need to find adaptors and an old used Kinnect from 2013 to be able to do something that on Windows and PlayStation people can do with any cheap headset!

1 hour ago, viniciusrsouza said:

Honestly, I can't believe this. Even though the main menu doesn't show that Kinnect not detected and voice commands disabled bottom message, there's still no support for voice commands to use the radio on Xbox Series X.

For all these years, every single edition, people ask questions about this here and every time they blame Microsoft.

So what now? This is 2020. Next gen consoles are already here. Please, don't tell us we will need to find adaptors and an old used Kinnect from 2013 to be able to do something that on Windows and PlayStation people can do with any cheap headset!

Don't forget the game was designed for the Xbox One which as you state is limited to Kinect voice command. 

When the F1 game is built for the next gen, then I suspect we'll see a change. 

7 minutes ago, UP100 said:

The game doesn't officially support Xbox Series X as far as I know. The only build of the game not using Kinect Speech Recognition is the PS4 build 🙂 

PC version also doesn't need the outdated Kinect device.

By the way, when you say it doesn't officially support Series X, you mean that it runs in backwards compatibility (since now it's from last generation), right?

Because the game plays smoothly and even faster than before.

48 minutes ago, viniciusrsouza said:

By the way, when you say it doesn't officially support Series X, you mean that it runs in backwards compatibility (since now it's from last generation), right?

Because the game plays smoothly and even faster than before.

What UP100 means is that the game wasnt built for the Series X - meaning it still uses all the features of the current xbox, and not any of the features of the new one. The fact it runs, and runs well is a bonus

4 hours ago, viniciusrsouza said:

It doesn't need the device, but it does need the Kinect for Windows API or its successor whatever name may that have (Microsoft Speech Platform according to the installer files?)

image.png.581c2528ab9a9e353346adee33809860.png

Basically, the API used on Xbox doesn't support anything other than Kinect, while the PC version may've received significant updates along the years that have made it possible to use it without Kinect. (Still assuming the APIs would be the same)

I believe F1 2015 didn't have speech recognition on PC without Kinect for some time. It could be that they either changed the Microsoft API they use, or the thing they used got an update. Though this is just speculation 🙂 

Also I believe (can anyone please confirm?) XBOX X (New Generation) OS still does not support the ability to map more than four buttons - in other words if you have a wheel you are still stuck with the replication of buttons X Y B & A across the wheel

All in all thinking about getting a PS5 (if I can get my hands on one) for voice commands and more button mapping - YES?

On 11/18/2020 at 10:34 AM, UP100 said:

It doesn't need the device, but it does need the Kinect for Windows API or its successor whatever name may that have (Microsoft Speech Platform according to the installer files?)

image.png.581c2528ab9a9e353346adee33809860.png

Basically, the API used on Xbox doesn't support anything other than Kinect, while the PC version may've received significant updates along the years that have made it possible to use it without Kinect. (Still assuming the APIs would be the same)

I believe F1 2015 didn't have speech recognition on PC without Kinect for some time. It could be that they either changed the Microsoft API they use, or the thing they used got an update. Though this is just speculation 🙂 

Thanks so much for this! I'm now really afraid if Xbox Series consoles will use these updated files or not. It also use Windows, we know. But the dashboard is still the same. Oh God...

On 11/21/2020 at 10:58 AM, HamishOK said:

Also I believe (can anyone please confirm?) XBOX X (New Generation) OS still does not support the ability to map more than four buttons - in other words if you have a wheel you are still stuck with the replication of buttons X Y B & A across the wheel

All in all thinking about getting a PS5 (if I can get my hands on one) for voice commands and more button mapping - YES?

So only next year we will be able to know what changed. It will be absurd if these issues continue in these new Xbox current gen consoles.

On 11/18/2020 at 8:53 AM, BarryBL said:

UP100 is correct. F1 2020 was designed for current gen (so Xbox One and PS4) so the features etc will transfer over. 

Yeah, really forgot this when I was upset and posted. But what made me really confused was the fact that F1 2020 doesn't show the "Kinect not found" message in it's main screen when running on Series X. This created a hope that it should work!

By the way, there any official word by developers if new Xbox Series consoles operational system is different in terms of voice recognition?!

You guys keep parroting the idea that Kinect is mandatory for voice recognition, but it's simply not true. Off the top of my head I can think of the YouTube app, which uses headset-based voice recognition to enter search terms. And I play a lot of Apex Legends, which has a speech-to-text function for game chat.

Point is, other companies have had workarounds for some time now, but Codemasters hasn't bothered.

• Like 1
On 12/2/2020 at 7:09 AM, rico0724 said:

You guys keep parroting the idea that Kinect is mandatory for voice recognition, but it's simply not true. Off the top of my head I can think of the YouTube app, which uses headset-based voice recognition to enter search terms. And I play a lot of Apex Legends, which has a speech-to-text function for game chat.

Point is, other companies have had workarounds for some time now, but Codemasters hasn't bothered.

Forza Horizon 4 is another game that can use headsets. For a long time now, by the way.