Jump to content Jump to content

Tyre wear and differential

I have an impression that differential setup massively affects tyre wear in this game. I have never understood settings for diff but it seems that the car is more stable on 50% than on 100% and that i get massive tyre wear from 50% and low from 100%. So why do people choose to go 100% on diff?

18 hours ago, MirzaG said:

I have an impression that differential setup massively affects tyre wear in this game. I have never understood settings for diff but it seems that the car is more stable on 50% than on 100% and that i get massive tyre wear from 50% and low from 100%. So why do people choose to go 100% on diff?

I don't think you get a "massive" tyre wear using 50% diff. I always use between 50-65% and I'm still able to run a 1 stop strategy (soft & medium) on most tracks. 

I also don't know anybody using 100% diff (or even close). I can't think of any advantage using it.

Edit: I do 50% race length all assists off. 

Edited by SixtoRodriguez
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, SixtoRodriguez said:

I don't think you get a "massive" tyre wear using 50% diff. I always use between 50-65% and I'm still able to run a 1 stop strategy (soft & medium) on most tracks. 

I also don't know anybody using 100% diff (or even close). I can't think of any advantage using it.

Edit: I do 50% race length all assists off. 

Exactly.. it's the opposite mate.. you burn your Tyres if you put an value higher of 65.. how most Higher more wear you will have.. less values minor tyre wear you will achieve.. 

• 3 weeks later...

On 12/7/2020 at 12:53 PM, MirzaG said:

but why do we even have this option to turn it up to 100 if there is no clear adventage...As i understand every setup option shold have its advantages/disadvantages in given situation- even 100% brake bias towards fron

There is an advantage. In my expierence, the higher the diff on throttle, the more acceleration grip you have. But is the value too extrem  (depends on track and Drilling skill) you can have problems with losing your back, because the acceleration is too extrem for the rest of the setup or the track and tyre grip. And you may possible have a more understary car when leaving the corner not absoluty streight, because the outer tires cannot rotate faster than the inner tyres. But normaly therefore is the diff off throttle option, because in the corner entry you normaly are Not on throttle. 

Edited by DonBlanko
  • Like 1
  • Social Media & Community Team
4 hours ago, DonBlanko said:

There is an advantage. In my expierence, the higher the diff on throttle, the more acceleration grip you have. But is the value is to extrem  (depends on track and Drilling skill) you can have problems with losing your back, because the acceleration is too extrem for the rest of the setup or the track and tyre grip. And you may possible have a more understary car when leaving the corner not absoluty streight, because the outer tires cannot rotate faster than the inner tyres. But normaly therefore is the diff off throttle option, because in the corner entry you normaly are Not on throttle. 

This is a good answer.

A more locked differential provides better straightline performance as the rear wheels focus more on propelling the car forward. (more obvious when on-throttle than off-throttle)

As for tyre wear, the main contributor to tyre wear is how much the tyres slide in relation to their direction of travel. In more simple terms, spinning the wheels too much, leaning too hard on them in corners, turning the steering wheel too hard or locking up the brakes all increase tyre wear.

Lower differential settings help reduce the potential for wheelspin on-throttle, which is why some people like to bring that setting down. The main benefit of lower diff though is that when you get on the throttle you won't spin the car as much, which I presume is the primary goal.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2