Jump to content
Forum Championship League | ITALIAN GP 29/01/2021 Read more... ×

Will ever ever see player mechanical failures?

Recommended Posts

I’m interested to know - does it not bother anyone else that only the AI get random mechanical failures? I’m just not sure why this has never been implemented into the game. Is it hard for devs to programme failures for players ? 🤷🏼‍♂️ @BarryBL

It would make the experience so more incredibly realistic. The only way is for us to manually retire or crash.  

Codies, will we ever see this? It’s a great shame it doesn’t happen. We’d feel the same pain and anger as a real F1 driver if it’s included.

 

  • Like 2
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some thing I've been asking for a long while and it never happens sadly. I get that some people wouldn't want it but i can't see why it can't be an option. Something like OFF- AI ONLY - PLAYER AND AI. The more options you have the better.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I agree I would like it! Well I guess not ‘like’ it, but it would be cool and frustrating and more realistic. What happens when your your engine gets to 100%? I’ve never let it happen yet!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Im sure its implemented. just keep using your engine past 100% worn, and wait till it blows up. It was certainly there in 2017/18.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The engine will blow up if you get it to 100%, same with gearbox and you'll retire Parts should have a chance to fail and any point with the chance getting higher as the wear increases. They already have the wear and components system in place. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me its frustrating that the ai have random failures and players can't. Getting to 100 percent wear isn't a random failure since you choose to run that part and in my experience. You never actually need to run part up to 100 percent you always have enough parts.

  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, pro3 said:

For me its frustrating that the ai have random failures and players can't. Getting to 100 percent wear isn't a random failure since you choose to run that part and in my experience. You never actually need to run part up to 100 percent you always have enough parts.

I agree players can force their own failures, but what player would choose to run their components completely down to 100%? I admit, I've tried it and it works, but you have smoke blowing out the back of your car at around 98%. It would be so much better if a component or new upgrade that's totally new "randomly" fails and you have to retire. Clearly happens to the AI. 

Let's hope the devs listen and bring it in for the next 2021 game. 

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Same for me, I also would like to see it.

Or even trouble before the start of the race that forces you to start from the pitlane (like mechanical failures which can occur during qualifying)

I mean Grand Prix 2 had it even 😄 engine blew ups and stuff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This would also be good in F2, I understand they don't want to make it mandatory due to the casual player but for hardcore fans, I think it should definitely be a toggle option, where we can opt in if we so wish. Hopefully it is something they are looking at because it is long overdue.

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, adamgbr44 said:

I’m interested to know - does it not bother anyone else that only the AI get random mechanical failures? I’m just not sure why this has never been implemented into the game. Is it hard for devs to programme failures for players ? 🤷🏼‍♂️ @BarryBL

It would make the experience so more incredibly realistic. The only way is for us to manually retire or crash.  

Codies, will we ever see this? It’s a great shame it doesn’t happen. We’d feel the same pain and anger as a real F1 driver if it’s included.

 

Dude you got the nail on the head . I've been wanting player failures for a good few year now . But have it were it will only happen in the first quarter of race . As having a failure 2 laps from end would be guttering . But also the time you spend doing the race having it in first few laps it wouldent be that bad as you haven't put as much time in the race 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Random failures for the player could be heaven or hell. If they ever implement failures, there should be an option to toggle it on or off.

For myself i'm not so much interested in failures which cause an DNF, more like small failures which gets you noticeable loss of speed, different handling etc. Maybe only partly.

- Think about your engineer calls you in the middle of the race that they found some heat problems. You shall switch to lean fuel mode, try to avoid slipstream/dirty air and you loose an decent amount of power. After random count of laps your engineer say it should be solved and you shall try to push.

- Or your box say they found a drop in tyre pressure on e.g. front left and after two laps they decide to bring you back in for another stop.

- Or you will get elctric problems during a race and you have to stay away from the curbs to survive.

Same should be possible for AI. This would bring in much more fun. If you have only 5 laps to go, you are 10 sec. behind and you notice some problems on the car in front. You would push like hell and if you are lucky you get him or his problems are gone after 3 laps.

  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

Random failures for the player could be heaven or hell. If they ever implement failures, there should be an option to toggle it on or off.

For myself i'm not so much interested in failures which cause an DNF, more like small failures which gets you noticeable loss of speed, different handling etc. Maybe only partly.

- Think about your engineer calls you in the middle of the race that they found some heat problems. You shall switch to lean fuel mode, try to avoid slipstream/dirty air and you loose an decent amount of power. After random count of laps your engineer say it should be solved and you shall try to push.

- Or your box say they found a drop in tyre pressure on e.g. front left and after two laps they decide to bring you back in for another stop.

- Or you will get elctric problems during a race and you have to stay away from the curbs to survive.

Same should be possible for AI. This would bring in much more fun. If you have only 5 laps to go, you are 10 sec. behind and you notice some problems on the car in front. You would push like hell and if you are lucky you get him or his problems are gone after 3 laps.

Agreed it should be on or off option. But what you said is already in the game: loss of power, DRS won’t open, loss of gears etc... that’s codies way of giving us mild mechanical issues that don’t have a DNF effect.

Do you not want realism to make it more challenging? For instance: Being first and on the second to last lap a component fails and DNF’s you, annoying and disappointing but thats racing! No car is immune from mechanical issues.

Look at Lando Norris in Germany for instance - loss of power and then he lost it completely at had to retire. This is racing and part of the world. For it to be in the game would bring more excitement.

For fans like you who aren’t interested in that, well you could have it off. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't say i'm against DNF's. I only said there should be an option.

The failures you described have little to no outcome.

- Loss of gears will only occur if you drive a gearbox with very high wear on it. It never happened at the beginning of a season for example.

- DRS won't open is a random failure which can occur but it never result in a different style of driving to prevent more damage like i described above

- loss of power shall be there by overheating the engine. Haven't experienced it yet. What i have seen in some YT videos, many player drive most of the time in rich fuel mix without overheating the engine. So, it seems to be not really present at the time

I would say i described above a different handling of failures during racing as the game actually do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, adamgbr44 said:

For fans like you who aren’t interested in that, well you could have it off.  

Who says that? I never said something like this. Don't no where you have it from.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

Who says that? I never said something like this. Don't no where you have it from.

I'm simply saying if there're some people who'd rather not have mechanical failures they can switch it off.

Like Driver transfers (on/off).

37 minutes ago, Akkan74 said:

I don't say i'm against DNF's. I only said there should be an option.

The failures you described have little to no outcome.

- Loss of gears will only occur if you drive a gearbox with very high wear on it. It never happened at the beginning of a season for example.

- DRS won't open is a random failure which can occur but it never result in a different style of driving to prevent more damage like i described above

- loss of power shall be there by overheating the engine. Haven't experienced it yet. What i have seen in some YT videos, many player drive most of the time in rich fuel mix without overheating the engine. So, it seems to be not really present at the time

I would say i described above a different handling of failures during racing as the game actually do.

All of the issues you mentioned above I've had.

I even saw a YT video of a player having suspension failure - I've NEVER seen that. Anyhow, let's see what they do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This has been discussed for years. I remember Steve Hood saying it wasn’t being put in as players didn’t want to get lap 59 of 61 for example and lose the race. Didn’t realise that this was what people wanted 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, tarrantino said:

This has been discussed for years. I remember Steve Hood saying it wasn’t being put in as players didn’t want to get lap 59 of 61 for example and lose the race. Didn’t realise that this was what people wanted 

It seems Codeis shared Steve Hood's thoughts. But I've seen (not only me) asking for it to be inc.

Aarava today mentioned it in his latest videos that he'd like to see it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, tarrantino said:

This has been discussed for years. I remember Steve Hood saying it wasn’t being put in as players didn’t want to get lap 59 of 61 for example and lose the race. Didn’t realise that this was what people wanted 

Which is understandable but I can't see why it can't be an option so people can choose. It does happen in RL and is part of the sport. @BarryBL what are you thoughts on this. 

  • Agree 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To play devils advocate here, the perception is that for players of things like a Driver Career for example, completing a full distance weekend (which would take around 6 hours if done in 1 sitting), to have the game tell you, in effect, its pointless would be quite a turn off for most players. For players who want the real concept of the sport its realistic, understandable and adds that drama in the back of your mind, however, to others, it would be seen as a massive waste of time and a game taking your time 'away from you' for something out of your control.

Adding a circumstance where the player loses the Championship on the last race of a full season for a mechanical issue when driving perfectly all season. For some that expresses the cruel but addicting drama of our sport and accept that "That's F1 for you" and come back next year. For others (who would be playing the same scenario), that would be a inexcusable game flaw that causes the player to have no motivation to ever play again.

An example I can relate to would be FUT Champions on FIFA. As a steady Gold 2/Gold 1 player, you build your team in the week, play some games to learn your players strengths, weaknesses, skillmoves and weakfoot. Go to the mode, play your games, and, at random times, imagine there's a threat that (in that match) all your effort is for nothing and you lose, even if you are winning and get everything perfect. If you've played the Weekend League and had a issue with it, you'll understand the unrivalled anger here and wouldn't feel rewarded for your time and effort. 

Both are valid arguments. Imagine we added this into eSports for example, and the carnage that could potentially cause. It would, at most, have to be a option to select, which would create 2 very different playing experiences, with 2 different management systems, levels of risk and reward. One I can suggest for the developers, but this discussion has/still does take place.

  • Thanks 2
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That is the game mate,mechanics can fail 😉

An option must be there! 

Pros can use TV pod cam and option off

Real drivers use Mechanical Fails - On

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just had a really close race in Hanoi chasing down Gasly with everything I've got for 1st place.

He was leading by about a bit more than a second for more than 10 laps, but I finally managed to get DRS and cut down to about 4 tenths, expecting to have an epic run down the long straight with him on the last lap. Then his car broke down right before we hit final lap.

I felt so dirty that I immediately took a shower afterward 🤮

Edited by DRT-Apophis
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think what you've said @BarryBL is exactly what we are all saying, its cruel and we understand why it cannot be a mandatory game feature but the least this needs to be, is a toggle game option, we understand the casual players and that you need to appeal to them but for the hardcore player base, this would be an addition that is well overdue. I believe Aarav and Ben Daly have included it in their 'future ideas' videos for the past three or four years. With the power of next generation, there, in my eyes is no valid excuse not to make this an option to the player base, that can be turned on and off, similar to the safety car rules.

  • Agree 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Cathal P said:

I think what you've said @BarryBL is exactly what we are all saying, its cruel and we understand why it cannot be a mandatory game feature but the least this needs to be, is a toggle game option, we understand the casual players and that you need to appeal to them but for the hardcore player base, this would be an addition that is well overdue. I believe Aarav and Ben Daly have included it in their 'future ideas' videos for the past three or four years. With the power of next generation, there, in my eyes is no valid excuse not to make this an option to the player base, that can be turned on and off, similar to the safety car rules.

Exactly this, a toggle in the option would solve every debates between the causals and hardcore fans. Or even better, make it so that engine failures for both AI & players are no longer scripted before the race, so that a simple rewind would be able to cancel-out the failure. 

The few F1 games I've played from 17, 18 & 22 years ago all featured random engine failures if you turned the damage option on. Really not sure why it's an issue to have it nowadays, did our minds really had becoming that weak to just face some unfortunate but fictional drama?

Edited by DRT-Apophis
  • Agree 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DRT-Apophis said:

The few F1 games I've played from 17, 18 & 22 years ago all featured random engine failures if you turned the damage option on. Really not sure why it's an issue to have it nowadays, did our minds really had becoming that weak to just face some unfortunate but fictional drama?

That reminded me of f1 2005 game for ps2. Playing with ferrari (schumacher ofc) in the Malaysian Grand Prix. Leading every lap and almost in the end smoking coming out the back of the car and there we go, engine failure. It ****** me of, but was realistic and that's racing. Sometimes luck is not with us sometimes it is, it's part of the sport, every single one of them.

Edited by Tomasslb24
  • Agree 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×