Sign in to follow this  

Should advanced control options be available for ALL types of controllers?

Grid Autosport will only give access to advanced settings such as linearity, deadzones and saturation for steering, brake and throttle if you are using a supported WHEEL on the list. If you will be using a gamepad, joystick, keyboard or anything else, you will not be able to adjust those settings. Even if it is on the supported list!

I feel very strongly that every wheel, gamepad, joystick, keyboard or whatever you use should be adjustable in game. Codemasters has always had these options available in all three of their AAA racing game series until Grid 2 and now Grid Autosport. This concerns me for future games in the DiRT and F1 series as well. Not everyone can use a wheel, physical disability in my case, and this has a serious impact on both my enjoyment of the game and competitiveness.

Playing GRID with a keyboard on two different PCs (same KB used on each) I use different Advanced Settings on each in order to get the handling I am accustomed to on each.  Can the new game automatically optimize the game on different PCs and arrive at solutions that fit not only various systems, but personal driving style as well?  Doesn't seem likely, but I'm willing to be persuaded if I'm wrong.

Realizing that the very difficult keyboard handling in GRID could be tuned (default is not sacred, in fact sux), and arriving at my own
solution was one of the personal achievements that helped make GRID my favorite racing game.  No Advanced Settings seems like a move toward NFS ProStreet rather than toward GRID.  And I know that's not your intent.  I've got my order in, but I'm beginning to question my sanity.

Frank
PC/keyboard, offline single player; GRID fan since 2008 - still playing.

I would say yes I'm pretty happy playing at the default settings (on most games)  and just changing the controls to buttons Ilike to use but I recognise that some things do need adjusting from time to time

Hey, sjsharp.  Surely you don't play GRID at the default settings?  Seems close to impossible to me on a keyboard.  I play at Savage with Traction Control on, usually.  Played quite a bit at the middle setting (forgot what it's called) before I found my sweet spot.  Maybe it's just the difference between game pad and KB.

Frank

RubyRuby said:
Hey, sjsharp.  Surely you don't play GRID at the default settings?  Seems close to impossible to me on a keyboard.  I play at Savage with Traction Control on, usually.  Played quite a bit at the middle setting (forgot what it's called) before I found my sweet spot.  Maybe it's just the difference between game pad and KB.

Frank

Grid 2 I did but then that's an entirely different game I do use the default settings on the F1 games as well though as well I don't really remember the settings I used for Grid 1 but then I never progressed very far with it it's probably just a case of going ion and given it another go but at the moment my Grid 1 isn't working anyway keeps freezing up on the loading screen not sure exactly why but I guess that's another problem to solve. Given Autosport is going to be released and I'm practicing on Shift and F1 at the moment I'll stick with them for now then come back and give Grid 1 another crack assuming I can get the game itself to work.

Just out of curiosity @RubyRuby what settings did you use for Grid 1?

Considering I can't use my wheel anytime soon and stuck with 360 for windows controller I have to say yes.

Here another lesson to be learned from GRID 1. The pad players needed the advance controller settings to be competitive with the wheel players online.

The old GRID 1 forum had a big thread of setting up controllers, be they a wheel or a pad.

Code masters, please don't force dead zone on me again.

yes i have to increase steering dead zone to 25% (default in codies games is 20%) to fix the issue i have that the left analog stick goes a bit left it self... :-<

Without a doubt.  Few games do not offer this these days.  It's like a step back in time...

Of course these settings should be available to all controllers.  That's the way all driving games used to be.  I have a Thomas Superwheel.  I've got quite a bit invested in it over the years and refuse to by a cheap piece of crap just to be able to adjust settings. I have a couple of friends I've been racing with for years that can't use a wheel controller due to physical limitations.  Codemasters and others need to realize there are a lot of handicapped people online and should not exclude them when making decisions about controller options.

DaWaangus said:
Of course these settings should be available to all controllers.  That's the way all driving games used to be.  I have a Thomas Superwheel.  I've got quite a bit invested in it over the years and refuse to by a cheap piece of crap just to be able to adjust settings. I have a couple of friends I've been racing with for years that can't use a wheel controller due to physical limitations.  Codemasters and others need to realize there are a lot of handicapped people online and should not exclude them when making decisions about controller options.
exactly as handicapped person myself being only able to use 1 hand I use the keyboard and configure the controls to one area of it. I don't play online but I certainly recognise that having plenty of options does make it easier

I'd like to know about the advanced options too, but not so much as controller vs. wheel, but just overall. I remember somewhere it was said that "look to apex" and "camera shake" could be controlled by a slider feature. That's really neat. I wonder what else is in that area of the game? Nobody goes into that on the preview videos.

PLEASE  codemasters  add control settings at least for xinput gamepads in one of your upcoming updates...(beside text chat , spectating mode etc )  ;))

Absolutely agree that advanced control settings should be available for everyone and it seems a bit off that this is not the case out of the box. Maybe can be changed in a patch? Luckily I am on a MS Wheel so am not restricted by this issue but can see how annoying it must be.