Jump to content Jump to content

Remember Colin McRae DiRT stages? they were real roads!!!

OttoWilson

The problem with mapping real roads for a game is they become too long/big for most PC and even consoles especially with the graphic detail being put into the games. I would prefer them to focus on getting the "FEEL" of the stage/rally right and making the stages longer rather than real world recreations and photo realistic graphics. 
The problem with mapping real roads for a game is they become too long/big for most PC and even consoles especially with the graphic detail being put into the games. I would prefer them to focus on getting the "FEEL" of the stage/rally right and making the stages longer rather than real world recreations and photo realistic graphics. 
Even if they managed to create fictional tracks on the same level, there's nothing quite like the feeling that these stages are the real thing, and watching WRC drivers on Youtube driving the same stages that you're driving all the time.
DocStrangelove said:
BTW, can somebody tell me where the Greek stages are?

Please don't say "in Greece", I mean their specific location on the map
Guess what? it's actually in Finland!!! :smiley: 
Joking aside, http://www.rally-maps.com/Acropolis-Rally-of-Greece-2012/Ghymno
Perasma Platani/
Tsiristra Thea is a portion of this stage, don't know where the other stage is located

Thanks! Seems like the other stage is close, but parts of it are made up.

http://images.akamai.steamusercontent.com/ugc/448455387643234452/CE9142DA9FD43DFE913A56E14CEF971C2B645585/

No, the roads are all there, but they can only be seen in Google Maps if you zoom in quite close in Satellite View; they aren't mapped. https://goo.gl/maps/aBzPg
  • 3 years later...

I've just watched some footage of the German stages in Colin McRae Rally 2005 and Colin McRae Dirt. Just imagine those roads being as wide as the car, a bit bumpier and having varying elevation, some more environmental elements such as vineyards and looking as stunning as the pictures in the latest blog where we can see the beauty of Dirt Rally 2.0. Going from a main road to small backroads with a hairpin turn with straw bales on the side, cutting some of the corners way too much, driving through small villages and having a bit of gravel put into the mix. I mean, that must be a tarmac lover's paradise, right? At least that's what I was thinking. If that were to come true, take my money! All of it! 🤩

Just to elaborate on my previous post. A few guys were able to create two amazing German vineyard stages for RSRBR many years back called Bergheim and Sieverdorf. I'm sure I would just go insane, do happy-dances for hours on end and then have a moment to myself if something along those lines were to be announced one day. Just look at the marvelous roads and imagine those in the Dirt Rally 2.0-style.

If the Colin McRae DiRT 1 stages are real, perhaps they could be ported to DR2.0 and improved to fit the game's standards. Still saves time on 3D modeling and money on trips. This could be something the studio could do for later DLCs, if they ever decide to add stages to existent rallies.

Archived