Forum Championship League | BELGIAN GP 22/01/2021 Read more... ×
F1 2020 | 1.15 PATCH NOW LIVE Read more... ×

When will back markers be allowed to overtake safety car?

Curious question because from what I can tell the game has a major bug regarding safety car. Is there any discussion about if it will be fixed?

Maybe next gen. I think it’ll take a lot for this set of consoles. 

Who knows what 2022 will bring with full next gen

Its been in past games maybe 2016 dont know why it not in now basically ruins a race many a time when i have been in a back of field team i have lost a full lap on cars a few seconda ahead due to track position.

I have to wait behind the safety car while my team mate/rivals just up the road can gain a full lap on me as they join back of the cue then of course the whole grid has to be let through on restart to add to the misery.

For me its no safety car or one that replicates the real SC not a made up broken version.

Same situation as me. Did a 100% lap race on spain last night. Was lapped by hamilton but I was in 8th place. Because of that it was impossible to climb further up the positions. 

Edited by MisterJesus

Is there any chance codemasters can give us an idea of the complexities in fixing the safety car backmarker overtake issue so we can understand and sympathize why it’s an ongoing bug and not fixed? @BarryBL

They dont even need to drive around and catch up, if the game could recognise the lapped cars and take over control of them and ghost them through to the back where they are meant to be would be good enough. Lapped cars should really be able to unlap themselves it's not fair for the drivers in league races to get put a lap down with no chance of making up the time. They also get stuck in the middle of the other racers and get blue flagged as soon as the race starts dropping back through the field anyway, can this not just happen while under SC?

• Agree 1

Seriously this is an issue i with

On 11/23/2020 at 12:42 PM, zZ A M P Aa said:

They dont even need to drive around and catch up, if the game could recognise the lapped cars and take over control of them and ghost them through to the back where they are meant to be would be good enough. Lapped cars should really be able to unlap themselves it's not fair for the drivers in league races to get put a lap down with no chance of making up the time. They also get stuck in the middle of the other racers and get blue flagged as soon as the race starts dropping back through the field anyway, can this not just happen while under SC?

I seriously hope codemasters spends some pennies to fix this. It’s really a problem. Imagine this happened in an official esports game?

• Agree 1

It was implemented in 2017 after fixing a bug with the safety car. It's certainly not impossible and it's a huge shame that they don't want to put the work in to have it working in 2020.

It's a race-ruining issue if you're lower down, catching the guy in front. Safety car, pit for strategic reasons and get you lapped by the leader but the guy in front doesn't. He then gets to go all the way round to the back of the queue. Green light and it's blue flag after blue flag until the guy you were chasing laps you aswell. Race over.

It's been mentioned in the suggestions forum and the response from the devs is "it's been discussed" and nothing more.

It is discussed since 2017 i think. I don't know what's the matter to not fix it. Maybe the couldn't find a way without breaking some other things. What's really annoying from my point of view is that we got no answer from Codemasters since 2017 about it. If it's not possible with the actual game engine or code they should state it and we doesn't need to ask again and again.

Has anyone ever made a bug report about it, because it's not reflecting the actual F1 rules? Should be a way to get an answer. Even if it is "by design".

Edited by Akkan74

5 hours ago, Zviko said:

You guys are lucky. I don't even get safety cars.

Do you play at 25% distance? I get them all the time on 50% distance but very rarely, if at all, at 25%.

I've recently picked the game up in a sale, and having not bought last years game either I was really disappointed to see the same problems two years down the line. This is a game breaking bug. I was running P6 at Spain with 10 laps remaining, the safety car was deployed when I was at the penultimate corner so I went in for fresh softs. Hamilton was P5 some 40s ahead of me, Albon & Sainz were being kept at bay 1.5-2s behind me and Ocon was 30s behind me in P9. I'm on well used hards doing a one stop, Albon & Sainz were two stopping on fresher hards & mediums. It's a no brainer to come in as Albon & Sainz have a tyre life advantage over me and I have a pit window to Ocon. It never crossed by mind, being P6, that I would be lapped during the stop so you see where this is going. Only when I caught up Verstappen had lapped Sainz and Albon got to go around and get a lap on us. How? Sainz didn't pit and Verstappen wasn't approaching us on the radar prior to the SC so how does this happen? No penalty to Verstappen. To annoy me further the AI logic here was terrible, Verstappen was one stopping and on old hards, Bottas was two stopping and behind on fresher mediums, Leclerc was third but came behind me under the SC after I'd caught it so they easily had a pit stop on him. There's no way that Red Bull don't bring Max in for fresh tyres, and then Bottas doesn't pit either. And thinking of it there's also no sense in Albon staying out on the slower hards either.

I'll just be turning SC off it's well and truly broken.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Disagree 1

Ps store sale ? Was tempted myself but the sc bug as stated , the silly ai coming to a almost  stop in qualifying bug especially if like me people who disable flashbacks this bug has caused so many silly crashes. And like you say ai logic is poor in general sc conditions, wet/ changeable conditions some silly pit stops or not in your case been made yes glad I saved my 30 pound. Hopefully with next gen power they can add some improved ai and iron out bug's that have been present for years that really should of been fixed by now . 

4 hours ago, s00zster said:

Do you play at 25% distance? I get them all the time on 50% distance but very rarely, if at all, at 25%.

I play 50%. 10 rounds in, only VSCs and even those are rare.

Hopefully they will comment at some point though based on what others are saying this is a topic they prefer to remain silent on unfortunately. I truly hope they do address this for the 2021 game at a minimum. 😞

I would imagine/like to think that they've tried to fix this as it's quite a big error in the game and has been for years, but havent been able to.

Edited by zZ A M P Aa

On 11/22/2020 at 3:03 PM, MisterJesus said:

Same situation as me. Did a 100% lap race on spain last night. Was lapped by hamilton but I was in 8th place. Because of that it was impossible to climb further up the positions. 

Be glad you're not in Karting. If you get lapped you get black flagged and have to end your race.

• Haha 1

This is really annoying, it happens very often in 100% races. Your race is practically over if you get lapped. And it creates dangerous situations on the restart where lapped cars get blue flagged and have to give up lots of positions while fighting other lapped cars for positions.

I have been thinking about how to fix this for a while. In Codemasters defense, there are many challenges to solve to get it working smoothly. IMO it couldn't work exactly like real F1.

Here are some of the challenges and my thoughts about how they could be solved:

1. How to unlap safely?
    • My thoughts are that the AI could take control over the lapped cars, one at the time, and ghost them through the field and in front of the safety car. Similar to when AI takes control at the end of the formation lap and guides you to the correct spot.
  2. How to regain control of the car again?
    • There could be a countdown, just like when you do a flying lap in time trial.
    • There also needs to be some air in front of the safety car before the unlapping stage can begin. This is for not creating situations where AI unlaps a car and put it in front of, or too close to, or even inside another car.
  3. Unlapped cars are practically racing again.
    • Yes, they want to quickly catch up again. It's in their best interest to race full speed in case the safety car ends before they catch up. But at the same time it's still a full course yellow, meaning unlappers can not overtake each other! The solution here would be to create some distance between the unlapped cars by unlapping only one car at the time, and with some time space between each unlapping.
    • Alternatively just force them to follow a delta time, as long as it's a lot faster than the speed of the safety car.
  4. It takes a very long time...
    • Making the safety car last even longer by having to wait for the unlappers to catch up is not very fun. 
    • The solution to this could be to ignore the unlapped cars when the game decides when to restart. The 'safety car in this lap' condition could be after all cars have unlapped, then check if all cars EXCEPT the unlapped cars are directly behind the safety car. That will save a lot of time, and still be fair enough for the unlappers.
  5. What about cars that are more than one lap behind the leader?
    • Unlapping one lap per safety car is good enough IMO. If you are two laps down, you just have to hope for another safety car.

@Fjerrari: the problem with your 4th point is that the leaders will be within seconds of the backmarkers after the restart. Within a lap or a few laps, they will have to plow through all those backmarkers that are still close to each other. They need to get round to get out of the way for the leaders.

The third point is no issue at all. When the SC is out you can also chase it down full speed while not able to overtake. They could just use the exact same rules for unlapping. 

I think unlapping could go just fine without AI taking control. You can already get a notification like: Driver X is too slow, you may overtake. I certainly don't want more AI interference.

I think time is the biggest issue. In a 50% race, a long SC can easily use up 15% of the racing distance. When all drivers need to unlap, it could be closer to 25% of the race distance. In shorter race distances, this would even get worse. Nobody wants to sit behind the SC for 1/4 of the race. In a 25% race this problem would be even bigger as you would sit behind the SC for 30 to 40% of the time. And this is all just for one SC. If you get more, you might as well drive the complete race behind the SC.

• Agree 1