When will back markers be allowed to overtake safety car?

On 12/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, Falstojudilofa said:

@Fjerrari: the problem with your 4th point is that the leaders will be within seconds of the backmarkers after the restart. Within a lap or a few laps, they will have to plow through all those backmarkers that are still close to each other. They need to get round to get out of the way for the leaders.

The third point is no issue at all. When the SC is out you can also chase it down full speed while not able to overtake. They could just use the exact same rules for unlapping. 

I think unlapping could go just fine without AI taking control. You can already get a notification like: Driver X is too slow, you may overtake. I certainly don't want more AI interference.

I think time is the biggest issue. In a 50% race, a long SC can easily use up 15% of the racing distance. When all drivers need to unlap, it could be closer to 25% of the race distance. In shorter race distances, this would even get worse. Nobody wants to sit behind the SC for 1/4 of the race. In a 25% race this problem would be even bigger as you would sit behind the SC for 30 to 40% of the time. And this is all just for one SC. If you get more, you might as well drive the complete race behind the SC.

It's unlikely that the leader will have lapped anyone in a 50% race anyway. If the SC is ever fixed maybe they should make it virtual only on 25% and 50%, a compromise but would people be fussed about the full SC on a shorter distance? It definitely needs to be fixed for 100%, it can even come out for just one lap.

Could always have the safety car drive slower if the issue is it eating up a ton of race distance. Regardless the issues needs to be resolved. It completely breaks races. 

On 12/11/2020 at 7:50 PM, Ollof said:

It's unlikely that the leader will have lapped anyone in a 50% race anyway.

That's not actually true. I often see several cars get lapped during 50% races.

• Agree 1

This is made worse when you get lucky and move up in places but have lapped faster cars behind you still acting like they are racing once the safety car comes in. Completely ruins your race and any opportunity you may have to get points as a small team as the ai always ends up taking you out and you actually have to end up letting them through even though you are a lap ahead. 

• Like 1

On 12/16/2020 at 5:33 PM, s00zster said:

The Williams can be towards the end of races on the shorter circuits but the leaders shouldn't be lapping points places, potentially a couple isn't so much an issue as half of the field.

On 12/17/2020 at 1:45 PM, xlostxbhoyxdanx said:

This is made worse when you get lucky and move up in places but have lapped faster cars behind you still acting like they are racing once the safety car comes in. Completely ruins your race and any opportunity you may have to get points as a small team as the ai always ends up taking you out and you actually have to end up letting them through even though you are a lap ahead. 

Yeah that too. 

On 12/10/2020 at 8:37 AM, Falstojudilofa said:

@Fjerrari: the problem with your 4th point is that the leaders will be within seconds of the backmarkers after the restart. Within a lap or a few laps, they will have to plow through all those backmarkers that are still close to each other. They need to get round to get out of the way for the leaders.

The third point is no issue at all. When the SC is out you can also chase it down full speed while not able to overtake. They could just use the exact same rules for unlapping. 

I think unlapping could go just fine without AI taking control. You can already get a notification like: Driver X is too slow, you may overtake. I certainly don't want more AI interference.

I think time is the biggest issue. In a 50% race, a long SC can easily use up 15% of the racing distance. When all drivers need to unlap, it could be closer to 25% of the race distance. In shorter race distances, this would even get worse. Nobody wants to sit behind the SC for 1/4 of the race. In a 25% race this problem would be even bigger as you would sit behind the SC for 30 to 40% of the time. And this is all just for one SC. If you get more, you might as well drive the complete race behind the SC.

Safety car is out for 3 laps in 25% distance race then it comes back in. It has been this way for years.

3 laps isn’t terrible. And honestly they could make it so slow enough to let the cars bunch up. It is a game after all. 

On 12/16/2020 at 12:33 PM, s00zster said:

Even 25% depending on track length it can happen

On 12/23/2020 at 9:15 PM, Y2Kev said:

Safety car is out for 3 laps in 25% distance race then it comes back in. It has been this way for years.

Yeah, 3 laps without cars unlapping. But unlapping takes more time, so the standard 3 laps won't be enough if all the other variables stay the same.

A virtual only on 25% or lower then.

They have to get safety cars right theres one most races in real life and they after 11 years of having f1 licence cannot get it right and we get a made up version that suits them.

Well I believe 25% should still have safety cars because thinking about it we have safety cars with less than ten laps in real life. If we really want codies should auto arrange the drivers or let AI control back markers for a lap

On 12/29/2020 at 4:47 PM, Falstojudilofa said:

Yeah, 3 laps without cars unlapping. But unlapping takes more time, so the standard 3 laps won't be enough if all the other variables stay the same.

For 100% races it would be nice to have different lap times for safety car. For 50% and 25% races they could port the lapped cars to the end of the queue and could make it like time trial if you go on a flying lap and got the lights to take control.

On 1/4/2021 at 4:29 AM, Akkan74 said:

For 100% races it would be nice to have different lap times for safety car. For 50% and 25% races they could port the lapped cars to the end of the queue and could make it like time trial if you go on a flying lap and got the lights to take control.

This is probably the most sensible balance. 

On 1/4/2021 at 4:29 AM, Akkan74 said:

Probably the best bet.