F1 2020 Forum Championship SPACES AVAILABLE Read more... ×

From pad to wheel

Hey guys,

Just wondering,how long do I need training to get back to my pad laptimes with a wheel? Just bought one yesterday and was doing some laps to edit my values that the wheel does what i want. But i am not even close to my pad times,2-3 sec slower.

I use ABS,traction contr middle,gears auto,the rest switched off.

Shall i go directly for gears manual? Or trying first reaching laptimes with my pad settings?

Damn that looks like a long way ahead.

I have got the t80 now,just to get used to it.

My last wheel was a Logitech when I played Grand Prix 3 😄 so quite a while ago

Edited by svensenk86

At first play with the same assists you used to play with pad. Just matter of 2-3 days to get used to it (depending on the hours you playing).

After you reach your lap times just start to remove assists by one at the time. 

Enjoy your new wheel 

Edited by ioann977
  • Thanks 1

My advice would be to turn off all assists from the start to avoid becoming too used to them. 

Just do laps in time trial. 

It takes a while but you have to keep at it. 

• Agree 2

19 hours ago, svensenk86 said:

Hey guys,

Just wondering,how long do I need training to get back to my pad laptimes with a wheel? Just bought one yesterday and was doing some laps to edit my values that the wheel does what i want. But i am not even close to my pad times,2-3 sec slower.

Shall i go directly for gears manual? Or trying first reaching laptimes with my pad settings?

I bought the T300 this summer and finally made the switch from pad to wheel. I wasn't using any assits on the pad except automatic shifting. So manual shifting was something that I had to get used to, however, it only took me a couple of hours. Personally, I find that using the pedals is more difficult. I just couldn't find my rhythm in the beginning and it definitly took me more than 10-15h to get used to it. I'd say it took me a full season (race length: 50%) to really get used to the wheel and become fast. Setting the linearity for acceleration and breaking to 50% helped me a lot - especially with the breaking. After 2 full seasons, I'm about 2 sec faster per lap than on the pad. The difference in accuracy, handling in general and being able to put in constant lap times is huge - in particular on tracks like Silverstone or Suzuka. 

• Agree 1

he difference in accuracy, handling in general and being able to put in constant lap times is huge - in particular on tracks like Silverstone or Suzuka.

I agree mate with SIlverstone and Suzuka, the accuracy I feel as well. The rest is like you wrote, getting used to it takes a while. I am still not able to match my pad times...but time will come, I will keep learning ;) thanks guys

Get your wheel calibration sorted as early as you can, as learning with "poor" wheel settings will take longer 🙂 

Lots of guides on YouTube, and some wheel manufacturers have recommended settings too so try those out.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

That was my first approach,to feel the correct feedback from the wheel. I think I found a sweet spot where I feel comfortable with. It is now just getting used to it,as written my last wheel was with Grand Prix 3...

The toughest to get used to is not throwing the stick into one direction,now I have to steer really especially China first long corner for example 😄 my laptimes which I set with the pad were pretty good,tough to get there...right now 2sec plus...but hey,gettimg used to it more and more.

It took me a while too. I learned in rally (with an F1 rim) so transitioning to F1 wasn't hard for me.

• Like 2

Mate seriously, that looks awesome 😎 i cannot share mine because it is kind of embarassing 🙈😄 but if I would have that kind of gaming set I would need choose between my wife and the gaming 😂 sometimes I feel second 😄

No man I have to build up my wheel and pedals everytime I play and store it afterwards 😄 but for the first impression it works. It will be improved in a later stage when I have a proper plan for it and storage space 😉

Made my first race against 90 AI in Bahrain from 14 to p7 with Mercedes without any damages or trips away from the track. Still a long way though,but I was always pretty solid in racing games so I am looking forward 😎

Edited by svensenk86
  • Like 2

On 11/22/2020 at 3:46 PM, USPBauer24 said:

My advice would be to turn off all assists from the start to avoid becoming too used to them. 

Just do laps in time trial. 

It takes a while but you have to keep at it. 

I agree completely. At the tail end of F1 2019, I started exploring with no assists. I was a regular when it came to TC medium and Anti lock brakes on. I couldn't imagine driving without them. When I bought 2020, I made the decision to never turn assists on from day 1. It was the best decision I ever made.... in terms of gaming. Eventually you'll figure out how to get faster. With time and practice comes success. I still play F1 2019 Featured Events. I can now also drive there very well with no Assists. I've actually won 2 events. The most recent was the Canada featured event. The German Event that just passed, I placed P2.

I guess my point is, as hard as it seems right now to get your lap times back closer, or even better than your pad times. You WILL get there. Don't get discouraged. Put in the Time and you'll see results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, svensenk86 said:

Mate seriously, that looks awesome 😎 i cannot share mine because it is kind of embarassing 🙈😄 but if I would have that kind of gaming set I would need choose between my wife and the gaming 😂 sometimes I feel second 😄

No man I have to build up my wheel and pedals everytime I play and store it afterwards 😄 but for the first impression it works. It will be improved in a later stage when I have a proper plan for it and storage space 😉

Made my first race against 90 AI in Bahrain from 14 to p7 with Mercedes without any damages or trips away from the track. Still a long way though,but I was always pretty solid in racing games so I am looking forward 😎

AI 90? Damn, I thought you're struggling mate, but actually you're killing it. I just increased the AI to 70 and found it pretty challenging. 😅

40 minutes ago, SixtoRodriguez said:

AI 90? Damn, I thought you're struggling mate, but actually you're killing it. I just increased the AI to 70 and found it pretty challenging.  😅

hi mate, yesterday I have made 3 GP`s to get used to drive against the AI with the wheel and used my old AI settings ;) made a 50% race in Baku (AI 91) with Albon, P16 to P14, just needed 3 flashbacks result of not used to drive with used tires ;) one in Silverstone (AI 91) 25% with Stroll P14 to P7 and one in China (AI 92) with Bottas just 5 laps P3 to P4.

I did a quick qualifying before to see where my times are.

So that was quite well, I was happy with the races. Still need more training to get used to race against AI cars with the wheel, some more single GP`s then I can go back to myTeam I hope.

Thanks for your advice guys!

Cheers

On 11/22/2020 at 11:04 AM, svensenk86 said:

Hey guys,

Well it might take you a while, not gonna lie. On the pad i was using around 100 AI, with the wheel I had to go back to 90 AI and only after 3 months was I able to get to 105 AI. Gears you should absolutely go manual, try to go with TC off as soon as you can but you can take your time with the ABS.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1