Jump to content Jump to content

Dirt Rally - a request from a pad user

trjp

After a LOT of time spent, I've managed to get a pad working pretty well for DR - but there is a small issue.  

I've got a notepad here with 5 pages of notes - the result of which is at least 5 different sets of options for different cars/stages/conditions!!

I'm sure I'll narrow that down quite a bit - but some are WILDLY different (esp tarmac over snow/ice) so is there any chance we could get the ability to save different control setups with a name??

It's not as complex as all that FFB work you threw-in for wheel players and we moan less than they do but this would be a useful feature - plz - thx :)
Yeah, just to confirm that, it's controller setups - not car setups!!

p.s. from another forum, someone noted that if you own multiple pads you can setup each differently - but it won't always pickup the pads in the same order each time the game starts?
Got a link? I've used 4 different pads and the game has never used a different controller set up for any of them, they all use the set up I have saved in game. I know because I've had to change the linearity each time I've switched pads. It didn't matter whether I switched pads before starting the game or in game.
Actually this would be good for wheel users too. my shifter in sequential uses the same buttons as gears 3 and 4, so to switch between H and sequential, I have to remap the buttons. Also sometimes I like to drive automatic and use the shifter as a handbrake since I don't like flappy paddles, and that also requires a remapping.
I might be being a bit thick here but, why not tune the cars so they handle how you like them and only have to use the 1 control set up, instead of adjusting the controller set up according to car and condition?
It's just a measure of 'taking it to the next level' and not everyone feels the need in that.

Last week I finally tried my Fantatec GT2 with DiRT Rally and, after about an hour... I gave up and have decided to stick to an XB1 pad.
Why?
Truth is, it didn't feel right and I knew I faced a choice.
Spend hours and hours tweaking and testing wheel setups, FFB XML files in the hope, the hope I might find something that felt good to me...
Or just go back to the controller and spend that time actually playing the game and having fun.
I might be being a bit thick here but, why not tune the cars so they handle how you like them and only have to use the 1 control set up, instead of adjusting the controller set up according to car and condition?
One of the issues - I think - is the way the game models 'real steering lock'.  The issue certainly got worse when they did that so I'm assuming it's a factor.  What that means is that the sensitivity of the stick varies between cars - you can't dial-that-out with settings unless 'steering lock' is a setting.

Another issue is that some cars need a firmer 'hand' than others.  The Tipo, for example, can be punted around quite lazily (and it's fun) wheras a RWD Lancia requires pin-sharp direction changes and thus quicker steering.  Ironically - the Fiesta is tighter/easier to drive and uses a less rigid setup tho - it's complicated.

A big thing with pads is balancing steering speed with roadspeed and maintaining that sense of 'straight ahead' you need to stay out of the trees. Most games do this through some degree of 'speed sensitivity' but how fast you turn a rallycar wheel doesn't always correspond to outright road speed (unlike an F1 car, for exanple) - correcting slides has to be quick without compromising the ability to keep a car straight and yet you might want a big steering input at higher speeds too.

I've been playing racing games with pads long enough to realise that sooner or later you'll start changing settings for different cars - once you're dialled into a car/setup you may find pad changes make you quicker/more consistent rather than setting-up the car for less speed but easier control (e.g. learn the car, setup the car, setup the pad)

Archived