Sign in to follow this  

Change Tires/Tyres in vehicle setup

So, as many are probably aware, people are complaining about the grip level of cars. There is a thread where someone went into the files and changed the preset tire grip model to a different preset with less grip, and seemed to feel a lot better. This leads to my suggestion, if there's already preset tire grip levels of High, Medium and Low, why not allow the user to change tire models in the vehicle setup screen? All that would have to change is adding an option to the setup screen with tire type, thus eliminating the grip level problem and allowing more vehicle customization on the user side.

I was thinking this should be a part of it - you used to be able to have free reign on which tyres you took into a rally atleast in CMR1 and 2 i think. If you feel like it, take spiked ice tyres on a mud/tarmac stage for the fun of it.

Fury556 said:
I was thinking this should be a part of it - you used to be able to have free reign on which tyres you took into a rally atleast in CMR1 and 2 i think. If you feel like it, take spiked ice tyres on a mud/tarmac stage for the fun of it.
While that could be interesting, spike tires on tarmac seems like a bad idea...

This wouldn't really fix the problem for competitive play though. People would always choose the tires that allows them to go fastest, ie. the ones based on the current high grip settings. As for allowing players to alter between different tire compounds, I'm all for it.

Silanael said:
This wouldn't really fix the problem for competitive play though. People would always choose the tires that allows them to go fastest, ie. the ones based on the current high grip settings. As for allowing players to alter between different tire compounds, I'm all for it.
Yes, but i think it goes for the simulation. Like if you are on Monaco, you can choose the slicks tyres to go fast at the first corners, but when you are arriving to Turini and all there is snow and ice, you can't control the car good and you loose seconds, and other can use nails wheels to win time at final of the stage (example). But for now, the stages are slightly short to win time with other strategy than the logic on tarmac. Take a look at that video exactly at min. 1:17. That was one stage that started to snow for hours, but they can't choose the correct tyre because "parc fermé"

https://youtu.be/abgxQDIcp-4?t=1m16s

Bye!

JZStudios said:
Fury556 said:
While that could be interesting, spike tires on tarmac seems like a bad idea...
Yeah, it's an absolutely terrible idea, but like i say, it adds to variety and general freedom to set up the car how you want. Like how you used to have to decide between light/heavy gravel tyres even while driving over some tarmac - you could always try driving on tarmac tyres in an attempt to be much faster over the tarmac than over the gravel, for instance.

Yes, but within reason. For example, let us choose between smooth-rough gravel tyres for gravel stages, small to large spikes for snow/ice, slick/wet/semi-slick for tarmac, etc.

Don't let us put spikes on for tarmac. I don't want Codies wasting their time on the physics and coding of how spikes will behave on tarmac.

Yes, but within reason. For example, let us choose between smooth-rough gravel tyres for gravel stages, small to large spikes for snow/ice, slick/wet/semi-slick for tarmac, etc.

Don't let us put spikes on for tarmac. I don't want Codies wasting their time on the physics and coding of how spikes will behave on tarmac.
Exactly. That's the sensible answer.  
To be honest, I don't mind too much how they have it now - I didn't really like having the percentage chance in RBR and then you get totally effed over because you're running dry tyres in the wet.  Whilst I would agree that it is realistic, it's also not really possible to simulate real weather and to give the user enough information to help them make an informed choice etc.  Better to just leave it out and allow people to use the appropriate tyres for the stage/conditions.

Blither said:
Exactly. That's the sensible answer.  
To be honest, I don't mind too much how they have it now - I didn't really like having the percentage chance in RBR and then you get totally effed over because you're running dry tyres in the wet.  Whilst I would agree that it is realistic, it's also not really possible to simulate real weather and to give the user enough information to help them make an informed choice etc.  Better to just leave it out and allow people to use the appropriate tyres for the stage/conditions.
I was actually really only talking about changing the tire grip levels, not necessarily the actual tire model. They already have a couple of grip levels included in the game, and that would allow people to make their own preferential choices. Giving one set tire model per race would be fine, but people complain about it, then again people complain about everything. As far as physics goes with coding, it shouldn't actually take too long since the physics should be universal, but I'm no expert.