Bug Reporting - PLEASE FOLLOW RULES AND COMPLETE REPORTS Read more... ×
F1 2021 | BETA | Details and how to Apply Here Read more... ×

Random freezes and crashes to dashboard

Description:

1. [F1 2020 1.13] On the race results screen in Unranked, after hitting "View gamercard" on a player, the game froze and after a minute or so crashed. There were no errors.

2. [F1 2020 1.13] After quitting an Unranked lobby that emptied while I was returning to the lobby screen, the game froze and crashed immediately. There were no errors.

3. [F1 2020 1.14] While playing TT with the Mercedes in Italy, the game crashed while I was on track. There were no errors.

4. [F1 2020 1.15] While playing the Weekly Event race, during the podium cutscene, the game crashed. There were no errors. The result of the race did not register on the leaderboard.

5. [F1 2020 1.15] During an Unranked race, after hitting "quit" and confirming, the game crashed. There were no errors.

6. [F1 2017 1.13] After hitting "end session" in TT, the game crashed immediately after the loading screen appeared. There were no errors.

7. [F1 2019 1.22] After hitting "end session" in TT, the game crashed immediately after the loading screen appeared. There were no errors.

8. [F1 2020 1.16] After hitting "quit to main menu" during a race in Unranked, the game crashed immediately. There were no errors.

9. [F1 2020 1.17] While loading into a practice session in Grand Prix, the game crashed. There were no errors.

10. A similar issue on F1 2019 is reported here:

Platform: Xbox Series X (Xbox One X)

Game version: see above

Game mode: Unranked, Time Trial, Weekly Event, Grand Prix

Connection type: wireless

Number of players in session:

1. ~10 players

2. ~10 players

3. -

4. 2 players + 18 AI

5. ~5 players + ~5 AI

6. -

7. -

8. 3 players + 17 AI

9. -

10. -

Host: -

How to replicate issue: Play TT, any multiplayer mode or Grand Prix.

Workaround: -

Peripherals: Xbox Series X controller

Report code:

1. N/A because the game crashed before I could get it

2. MTJS-RXTE-MBEJ-PJJG

3. N/A because the game crashed before I could get it

4. MERR-CMMJ-MHBX-ABJG

5. N/A because the game crashed before I could get it

6. -

7. N/A because the game crashed before I could get it

8. N/A because the game crashed before I could get it

9. N/A because the game crashed before I could get it

10. -

Edited by Aparow3

Can you provide a video and report code please @Aparow3 for this. Also, how many times has it happened to you and does it happen every time?

@BarryBL

Aren't report codes unique for each session? I don't think there is any way I could have got the report code, since the game just froze and crashed to the dashboard, without any error from the game or console. I seem to be getting quite a few random issues while playing on XSX, like the other one I reported where the audio cut out completely while navigating the menus in TT and then the game crashed to the dashboard, also without any errors. I've also seen cars moving away from the grid while players were still loading in an Unranked race, which has happened more than once, and I also have screenshots, but these issues seem so random I don't know if it's worth reporting all of them.

Edited by Aparow3

1 hour ago, Aparow3 said:

@BarryBL

Aren't report codes unique for each session? I don't think there is any way I could have got the report code, since the game just froze and crashed to the dashboard, without any error from the game or console. I seem to be getting quite a few random issues while playing on XSX, like the other one I reported where the audio cut out completely while navigating the menus in TT and then the game crashed to the dashboard, also without any errors. I've also seen cars moving away from the grid while players were still loading in an Unranked race, which has happened more than once, and I also have screenshots, but these issues seem so random I don't know if it's worth reporting all of them.

Report codes can be found in Game Options > Settings and then the bottom left of the screen. Videos of these will be useful so I can add a report and assign someone with a Series X to test. 👍

@Aparow3, do you have a firewall in place. If you are running a Firewall, ensure it is set to allow the game to communicate on the following ports for both inbound and outbound traffic: TCP and UDP port 3074. Also, consider a wired option for connectivity, as it will improve overall online performance

There is a firewall on my router. It has UPnP enabled, but that port was not open when I checked. I manually opened that port and will report if it still happens. These random crashes aren't very frequent - they seem to happen about once per 10 hours of gameplay, but they can still be very annoying. During a 50% unranked race, my teammate's game crashed after the race started.

Edited by Aparow3

4 minutes ago, Aparow3 said:

There is a firewall on my router. It has UPnP enabled, but that port was not open when I checked. I manually opened that port and will report back if it is a fix or not. These random crashes aren't very frequent - they same to happen once per 10 hours of gameplay, but they can still be very annoying. During a 50% unranked race, my teammate's game crashed after the race started.

Thanks for this feedback @Aparow3, this may also be your team-mates connection that has some problems too. I'd get them to check their system out also.

@BarryBL

I got another crash at the end of a Weekly Event race. The race results didn't get registered on the leaderboard. I added the details to the OP.

Edited by Aparow3

Another crash today, this time immediately after quitting an Unranked race. I added the details to the OP.

Edited by Aparow3

I think it may come down to the wireless connection if I'm honest @Aparow3. Do you have a ability to try on a wired setup at all, even just for a test?

Guest Bicarda

@Aparow3

Just out of interest, but does you using your wifi make any other games freeze and crash? or is it just the f1 game?

I could probably try but it's quite a long way to the router, so it'll take some time until I can sort it out. I don't get crashes in any other games. Also, why would the Wi-Fi make the game crash? I understand it adds some latency, but it's not disconnecting at all and the connection is good for 100+ mbps.

Edited by Aparow3

Reason that @Bicarda has probably asked this here is that the modes you are experiencing here are all online modes. If you are running a Firewall, ensure it is set to allow the game to communicate on the following ports for both inbound and outbound traffic: TCP and UDP port 3074

Guest Bicarda

The reason i asked it is because EVEN IF f1 2020 only crashes while he uses wifi, if no other game crashes while he uses wifi, the problem is with the GAME not with the connection. 

This guy reports a bug to you. And you say: "See. it makes sense our game crashes, because you use wifi."  Using wifi should not let a game crash. 
If he uses his wifi and ANY game he plays crashes. THEN the problem is might be his wifi/connection. 
If he uses his wifi and NO OTHER game he plays crashes. But just f1 2020. Then the problem is clearly with the game. And it is YOU GUYS' job to fix that. Not your poor customer's job to go on a wild goose chase running a cable through his house just to prove to YOU that it is your game that's not always working correctly, and requires some effort from your part to fix. 

1 hour ago, Bicarda said:

The reason i asked it is because EVEN IF f1 2020 only crashes while he uses wifi, if no other game crashes while he uses wifi, the problem is with the GAME not with the connection. 

This guy reports a bug to you. And you say: "See. it makes sense our game crashes, because you use wifi."  Using wifi should not let a game crash. 
If he uses his wifi and ANY game he plays crashes. THEN the problem is might be his wifi/connection. 
If he uses his wifi and NO OTHER game he plays crashes. But just f1 2020. Then the problem is clearly with the game. And it is YOU GUYS' job to fix that. Not your poor customer's job to go on a wild goose chase running a cable through his house just to prove to YOU that it is your game that's not always working correctly, and requires some effort from your part to fix. 

That's a little 'straight line'. WiFi is subject to degrees of latency that Ethernet is not. Bandwidth requirement and timeouts will vary from title to title.

Different protocols handle packets differently. Sometimes order is important.

Connected equipment can also make demands on a routers workload and QoS isn't generally implemented (even on Ethernet).

He's already stated that the router is a long way from the XBox. Ethernet has only speed of light issues in theory (not really measurable over 100M) and WiFi has decreasing bandwidth at the edge of coverage, more prone to external interference, etc. at way less than 100M (in fact in clear air I don't think a SOHO router would communicate that far, 30M is much more a practical limit).

Guest Bicarda
2 hours ago, steviejay69 said:

That's a little 'straight line'. WiFi is subject to degrees of latency that Ethernet is not. Bandwidth requirement and timeouts will vary from title to title.

Different protocols handle packets differently. Sometimes order is important.

Connected equipment can also make demands on a routers workload and QoS isn't generally implemented (even on Ethernet).

He's already stated that the router is a long way from the XBox. Ethernet has only speed of light issues in theory (not really measurable over 100M) and WiFi has decreasing bandwidth at the edge of coverage, more prone to external interference, etc. at way less than 100M (in fact in clear air I don't think a SOHO router would communicate that far, 30M is much more a practical limit).

Regardless. If he plays a ton of other games online on his xbox, while using his wi-fi, and none of them freeze or crash while the f1 game does, then the problem is most likely with the game. and connecting by cable can be a good workaround until said time codies fix their game, but the problem lies with the game. 

If other games have the same issue then the issue is most likely his specific situation. that's why I asked. Although I already suspected the answer: and if I read it correctly other games work just fine. 

Edited by Bicarda

19 hours ago, Bicarda said:

Regardless. If he plays a ton of other games online on his xbox, while using his wi-fi, and none of them freeze or crash while the f1 game does, then the problem is most likely with the game. and connecting by cable can be a good workaround until said time codies fix their game, but the problem lies with the game. 

If other games have the same issue then the issue is most likely his specific situation. that's why I asked. Although I already suspected the answer: and if I read it correctly other games work just fine. 

The bandwidth requirement in multiplayer is quite high, should they remove features like weather, other cars, etc.?

I didn't design the game but to give you an idea 1800kbps was a debug state in beta with a good connection. I have to say I don't know if it measured game requirement or just a generic figure on the connection or available bandwidth by some other test. 

Going by the modular design I'd reckon the game engine computes the AI input and feeds it to the (internal) game server in the same way in offline modes.

I'm sure any of the contributors to the UDP thread will know how much game data floats around in Multiplayer. Then there's the third party stuff.

Guest Bicarda

No you're right. crashes are totally not something codies should look into. It's the customers fault! how dare he use wifi. 
Even though it works in any other game/case it's totally not a bad sign if your game crashes while experiencing an occasional (and presumed) connection hiccup  

making games is hard enough without fools trying to play without cable anyway. Poor codies.

I went back to F1 2017 to see if it happens there as well, as I don't recall ever getting crashes in that game while playing on Xbox One or Xbox One X. After a ~30 minutes session in TT, when I hit "end session", the game crashed almost immediately after the loading screen appeared, with no errors.

Edited by Aparow3
  • Thanks 1

Looks like it was just a massive coincidence that I did not get any crashes the ~2 weeks since manually opening port 3074. Right after posting the previous message, the game crashed immediately after ending a TT session.

Depends how your port forwarding is setup.

Some routers don't track the device and just use LAN IP and if DHCP is active then your device's LAN IP shifts and the PF no longer works.

Try a static IP (again, reserving these can be different across different routers or sometimes setting the LAN IP on the device is the only option).

Basically, simple uPnP should work provided the implementation isn't bugged.