Sign in to follow this  

17 Years of DiRT...

Today marks the 17th Birthday of the release of the very first Colin McRae Rally, it's been a long road but its been a fun one and it's been an honour to be able to have been part of it. 

To celebrate we've set up our very first promo event featuring the Subaru (obviously) on Wales with a pretty big prize pot up for grabs. Head to Online events to take part.

To all the old timers and newbies alike - on behalf of everybody at Codemasters thanks for being part of DiRT.

Now let's have a chat about the old games.

Like I put on Twitter;  <3

This series and the old Evo Studios WRC games took up the majority of my gaming time growing up, due to my unhealthy (healthy) addiction to rally, thanks to my Dad. 

It's absolutely stunning to see a direct comparison between past and present day visuals. 

madness ! cant believe its that long. :p time does fly by.

still have the games upstairs.at the time of colin mcrae 1 we used to have it on ps1 and on pc. which i think was pentium 2 mx400mhz and i think voodoo fx gpu :D

2.0 was on ps1. i brought cm3  on ps2 .04 on pc . dirt 1,2,3 on pc.

and now upto date with dirt rally.

must say had great fun playing these games.

Oooooooh. 17 years. I remember playing CMR2 endlessly and i have played every single CMR/DiRT starting with CMR2. I Skipped CMR1 due to life and how the game industry is like here in East EU. DiRT Rally has been amazing so far.

Prize pot has spiked my curiosity. ;o

@justbiglee will the promo only be online for 24 hours?
Because els i need to make some time to do it :P

The game that helped cement my love for both rally and all things Subaru: thanks for the memories Colin McRae Rally! 

NB: Fully agree with the comment by @thecraicbear as well: astounding to see the improvement in visuals between the two games. Just need the S5 WRC in DiRT Rally now for a direct comparison...  ;)

Oh I did this event the moment I noticed it! Because why not. It went well! Awesome idea.

Happy 17th anniversary! I really can't believe it's been 17 years already... felt like it was just yesterday I tried to tackle the indonesian stages!

I'm too rallyecameraman, I started playing racing games with Colin McRae, in that game you could achieve new cars like Audi Quattro S1 if you win all the stages of a Rally or if you won a Championship, I don't remember well, but this was a characteristic that no other one racing game had in that time.

Allways played with PC, CMR1, CMR2, CMR3, CMR4, CMR5... Combined with this I had play a lot TOCA, TOCA2 and TOCA3...

When it comes to DIRT I played other titles, I never be agree with Dirt Games... So comercial.... Ummmmnnnn...

But nowadays Dirt Rally can transport me to that time of the Colin McRae (17 years). Great job Codemasters, this is the reward of a good job...

God I feel old!!

Still remember play Colin McRae Rally for the first time on PS1 and just being blown away by it...

Still am with DiRT Rally.

Great Job all, outstanding!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY ALL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szAS0--HyoE

Theses were some of my favourite tracks especially track 2. check out @5.33 (dose any one else remember doing this?) You could hit that rock and launch over and save a good second or so. I know it's a bit popcorn but back then it was the Nuts. :)

Happy birthday! I remember i desperately wanted a rally game in ps1 as there was not the SEGA RALLY for SOY'S console First i ahd bough V-rally but  i was not very satisfied with it , then i bough Colin Mac rae ..Thats it, happy days! B) :p :#

Happy B-day, already crashed my car on the first stage of the promo event, finished with 3 wheels and 1 rim, second stage wasn't that much better.

Colin McRae Rally 1 <3

ps: I miss Colin :cry: 

I remember my dad getting CMR 2.0, only to find out that the game would crash to the desktop when trying to load a race. Luckily enough, I still have the CD now and it actually works. Shame most of the modding sites for it were already dead.
Then I remember CMR 3 on my Xbox, with me driving like an idiot and wrecking McRae's car on purpose, same with 4.

I think Colin would be more than proud if he was still here.

I was one of those CMR2.0 kids. I remember OneCarefulOwner, as I wasn't particularly "good" at the racing at that time ;)

I too had lots and lots of fun with CMR2.0 - first on the Playstation and then on the PC. Needless to say I considered it to be 50 million times better on the PC thanks to the graphics. They still look quite nice by today's standards, at least in my opinion!